The simFlight Network Forums

is FSUIPC "paint scheme-specific"?

Apologies for the weird question... 

Many (all?) aircrafts in FSX can be made to appear with different paint works. When you upload your aircraft in FSX you can then chose the "version" that you want to fly that day.

Here is the question: when I save "aircraft-specific" key-strokes or push-buttons in FSUIPC should they automatically apply to all repaint versions of the aircraft?

For example, I have the Piper Cherokee from A2A and I set up my aircraft-specific command in FSUIPC while "sitting" in the cockpit of my green-gray paint scheme version. I have the impression that these settings disappear when I upload a different paint scheme of the same aircraft....

Is that possible? Is there a fix to this? Am I doing something wrong?

Ideally, I would like that all aircraft-specific command I set up in FSUIPC apply to that aircraft regardless of the paint scheme I choose. Even if I add new ones on the future. Is this crazy?

Thanks!

Many (all?) aircrafts in FSX can be made to appear with different paint works. When you upload your aircraft in FSX you can then chose the "version" that you want to fly that day.

Here is the question: when I save "aircraft-specific" key-strokes or push-buttons in FSUIPC should they automatically apply to all repaint versions of the aircraft?

You are still using the old "aircraft specific" facility, rather than Profiles?

Either way, aircraft-specific or Profiles, FSUIPC records the NAME or title of the aircraft. It has no way of telling whether it is simply a different paint job! 

The best way of consolidating these things and making them automatic is to edit the FSUIPC4.INI file section which lists your aircraft names and abbreviate them. Make sure you have the [General] parameter "ShortAircraftNamesOK" set to "substring" (it has defaulted this way for a long time, but as you are still using "aircraft specific" I assume you are using a pretty old installation). 

For example, for all Cherokee's you'd set the name to Cherokee. For all A2A planes, to A2A. Whatever abbreviated part of the name which applies to all the aircraft you want treated the same.

This isn't covered terribly well in the manuals, but the "Using Profiles" chapter would be worth a read. It's a tidier method than aircraft specific and has been around for years. It's defaulted on all new installations, but you can convert from aircraft specific too.

Pete