The simFlight Network Forums

WideFS cannot find FSX

Hi Pete

I got my two Win7 PCs networked together via HomeGroup and using my wifi network. I can access files on each machine from the other machine to include copying files and creating folders. So, I think my two PCs are connected together.

I run WidePS on my #2 machine but it never connects/sees FSx running on my #1 machine.

Here is the WideClient.log file below.

I guess I don't have something set right eh?

Thanks...

********* WideClient Log [version 6.999n] Class=FS98MAIN *********

Date (dmy): 30/01/15, Time 19:30:42.289: Client name is JANIS-PC
      140 LUA: "C:\WideClient\Initial.LUA": not found
      156 Attempting to connect now
      156 Trying to locate server: Need details from Server Broadcast
      156 Failed to connect: waiting to try again
     2199 Attempting to connect now
    45006 Trying to locate server: Need details from Server Broadcast

204564 ****** End of session performance summary ******
   204564 Total time connected = 0 seconds
   204564 Reception maximum:  0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec
   204564 Transmission maximum:  0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec
   204564 Max receive buffer = 0, Max send depth = 0, Send frames lost = 0

204564 ********* Log file closed (Buffers: MaxUsed 0, Alloc 0 Freed 0 Refused 0) *********

I run WidePS on my #2 machine but it never connects/sees FSx running on my #1 machine.

Here is the WideClient.log file below.

When you don't specify the Server name or IP address in the INI file, WideClient waits for a broadcast from the Server.

If your Client is in a different workgroup to your Server, then broadcasts don't get through. They are limited to workgroup PCs only.

So either specifically state the server and protocol details in the WideClient.INI, or make sure all your PCs are in the same workgroup.

All this is actually explained in the WideFS user guide, in the section with a bold red request for you to read at least some of it, under the heading configure your network (or similar).

Pete

Yes, I did read that part in the guide Pete...I will re-read it again...my two PCs are on the same wifi network with the same homegroup...this is the same as the same workgroup I am assuming.

Edit: I have also turned off my windows firewalls on both PCs...relying on my router box software to handle this function.

Here are some screen shots showing my "WORKGROUP" is the same for both PCs.

I added my #1 PC servername to the WideClient.ini file and the TCP string.

WideClient still will not connect.

Pete, when I start up the WideClient.exe on PC #2, does FSX have to be running or will WC connect to my #1 PC regardless?

Thanks...

post-78812-0-75056900-1422719062.jpg

post-78812-0-73697100-1422719070.jpg

WideClient0.log.txt

WideClient.ini.txt

Here are some screen shots showing my "WORKGROUP" is the same for both PCs.

I added my #1 PC servername to the WideClient.ini file and the TCP string.

WideClient still will not connect.

I really don't need screenshots for you to prove thngs. You only had to say so. It just wastes space and time.

Similarly small text files like Logs and INI files are best pasted into the message. Else I have to download them, find them, look at them, delete them. Much more efficient just to paste them in, please.

Anyway, event though they are in the same workgroup, the broadcasts from the Server evidently are not reraching the Client. Sorry, I don't know why.  I wonder if it's to do with the new-fangled networking 'Homegroup'? I've never used that, mainly because it doesn't work on a large network with a mix of XP, Win7 and Vista PCs.

BTW the log named "Wideclient0.log" is a backup of the previous one. The current one is always Widecient.log. It makes a backup because lots of folks have systems which automatically re-boot on error.

One thing, from that log, strikes me as odd:

IP Address = 198.105.254.228

Is that really the IP address of your Server PC? It looks very unusual for a home network.

Pete, when I start up the WideClient.exe on PC #2, does FSX have to be running or will WC connect to my #1 PC regardless?

It just keeps trying, as in fact it is now. All my clients tend to be waiting, ready, because they are started by Windows startup, automatically. When I power up the cockpit all 6 computers in it switch on and load up ready. No keyboards or mice you see!  (It's a 737NG, not an Airbus).

Pete

Yeah, I don't know where that IP came from...my #1 PC is 192.168.2.2 which is more normal...I added that to the ServerName=line in the WS ini file but still no connection.

I'll play around with it some more today.

Thanks...

UPDATE:

From PC #2 I can ping my #1 PC (192.168.2.2):

C:\Users\Janis>ping 192.168.2.2

Pinging 192.168.2.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
Ping statistics for 192.168.2.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

However, I cannot ping my #1 PC by its name fresh1011-MSI

C:\Users\Janis>ping fresh1011-MSI
Pinging fresh1011-MSI.Belkin [198.105.254.228] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 198.105.254.228:
    Packets: Sent = 3, Received = 0, Lost = 3 (100% loss),
Control-C
^C
C:\Users\Janis>

Anyway, I have my IP in the Wide ini file, yet it still won't connect when I have FSX running on my #1 PC.

I think I now have the IP set correctly but the log error is now:

********* WideClient Log [version 6.999n] Class=FS98MAIN *********
Date (dmy): 31/01/15, Time 10:52:15.821: Client name is JANIS-PC
      109 LUA: "C:\WideClient\Initial.LUA": not found
      109 Attempting to connect now
      109 Trying TCP/IP addr 192.168.2.2, port 8002 ...
     1123 Error on client pre-Connection Select() [Error=10061] Connection refused
     1123 Ready to try connection again
     2137 Attempting to connect now

Error 10061 connection refused. So this means my #1 PC is refusing the connection on port 8002. I'll continue to research this.

Yeah, I don't know where that IP came from...my #1 PC is 192.168.2.1 which is more normal

Well that's the IP address returned by Windows for that ServerName when asked.

...I added that to the ServerName=line in the WS ini file but still no connection.

Er, added it to ServerName? Why? 

As documented, you either give the name or the IP. They are separate parameters with different parameter names.

Pete

>As documented, you either give the name or the IP. They are separate parameters with different parameter names.

Right...I fixed that in the WS ini file but still no connection yet.

[Config]

ServerIPAddr=192.168.2.2
;ServerName=fresh1011-MSI
Protocol=TCP
Port=8002
Window=43,44,886,589
Visible=Yes
ButtonScanInterval=20
ClassInstance=0
NetworkTiming=5,1
MailslotTiming=2000,1000
PollInterval=2000
Port2=9002
ResponseTime=18
ApplicationDelay=0
TCPcoalesce=No
WaitForNewData=500
MaxSendQ=100
OnMaxSendQ=Log
NewSendScanTime=50
Priority=3,1,2

Pete

I'm a little confused on what WideFS is trying to connect to on my #1 PC. Is it just trying to connect to my #1 PC via 192.168.2.2 port 8002 or is it trying to connect to FSX running on my #1 PC?

Since the WS log now shows it can connect to my IP but the connection is being refused, I will next look into what port my #1 PC is expecting traffic to come in on...maybe 8002 is not the right port.

Update:

I added an inbound rule to my firewall for port 8002 but I still cannot connect when I run WideFS on my #2 PC.

So the problem is that port 8002 is not open on my #1 PC. On the #2 PC I cannot telnet to that port to test it, like this

telnet 192.168.2.2 8002

The return msg is "Could not open connection to the host, on port 8002:Connect failed"

EDIT:

Well, I guess I'm stuck. I don't know what else to do to get WideFS to connect to FSX running on my #1 PC.

From reading the docs I understand that I have to install WideClient on my #2 PC and run it. WideServer is built-in to FSUIPC for FSX so I don't need to run WideServer separately. When I start FSX, WideClient shoule 'see' it and be able to connect to it.

I've verified my #1 PC IP address and its in the WideClint ini file.

>As documented, you either give the name or the IP. They are separate parameters with different parameter names.

Right...I fixed that in the WS ini file but still no connection yet.

[Config]

ServerIPAddr=192.168.2.2

But earlier you implied (though your detail was very mised up) tht the IP address was 192.168.2.1. See here:

Pinging 192.168.2.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Ping statistics for 192.168.2.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

However, I cannot ping my #1 PC by its name fresh1011-MSI

The fact that "ping" also gets the wrong IP address shows something is wrong on your Network, or maybe the router set up.

Pinging fresh1011-MSI.Belkin [198.105.254.228

I'm a little confused on what WideFS is trying to connect to on my #1 PC. Is it just trying to connect to my #1 PC via 192.168.2.2 port 8002 or is it trying to connect to FSX running on my #1 PC?

Er, what's the difference? TCP operates with ports. The ports WideFs uses are defined in the INI files, and they only need to match.  "Connect to FSX" surely just means "connect to WideServer which is part of FSUIPC which is running inside FSX". I really don't know what you are on about here.

So the problem is that port 8002 is not open on my #1 PC. On the #2 PC I cannot telnet to that port to test it, like this

telnet 192.168.2.2 8002

The return msg is "Could not open connection to the host, on port 8002:Connect failed"

I've verified my #1 PC IP address and its in the WideClint ini file.

So earlier when youpnged it on 192.168.2.1 you were mistaken?

When WideServer is enabled in FSUIPC options, it opens the port. It only does this when FS is ready to fly, not when in the preliminary setup screens. The title bar of FSX will sohw that it is waiting for clients. If it does not show this then it is not enabled.

You've never showed me your WideServer.log file from the Server, so I can't tell whether you've got it enabled and licensed or not.

Pete

I licensed both WideFS and FSUIPC.

Yes, I made a mistake when I said my IP was 192.168.2.1. It is 192.168.2.2.

I opened up FSUIPC and toggled the WideFS buttton just see if that would make any difference. I don't know if it did or not but WideClient is now connecting with this in the title "WideClient FS98 Eliminator - Connected".

So, its working now on the remote PC.

Thanks...