The simFlight Network Forums

Under Develeopment: EDDS/STR Stuttgart Approach for Tracon!2012

fracasado

• 2 weeks later...

Status Update:

Unfortunately I cannot work much during the week currently so things are going slower than expected.

• Sector map and adjacent sectors are basically completed, but flight profiles and handoffs are not tested yet (due to ongoing coding of procedures)
  • Tests with local traffic between Stuttgart and smaller airfields in the vicinity did not work as expected.  So I'm going to create scheduled traffic into and out of  Stuttgart first.

( see also http://forum.simflight.com/topic/78725-tracon2012-question-concerning-the-creation-of-local-flights/   Maybe there will be a workaround or other creative solution in the future. )

• I'm going to compile a first schedule file during the weekend in order to then start testing the first SIDs and STARs.

Regards

fracasado

• 3 months later...

Status Update:

I have some more information concerning the current development state of EDDS/STR Stuttgart Approach sector. Despite beeing busy with professional duties I did some testing (I'm still using Win XP Service Pack 3 because of the speech recognition doesn't work well for me yet with Win7) 

I can report the following observations:

• The compiled schedule file for Stuttgart airport is based on a timetable from February which I found online.  I currently have 175 active approaches and 171 active departures.
  • The scheduled departures seem to work pretty well. Only a few adjustments need to be done.
  • Local traffic creation with the gaandlocaltraffic file for a second smaller airfield with primarily General Aviation traffic does not work (see also link in the status update posted above).
  • Due to the problem mentioned above I created random traffic for the smaller airfeld. Then I get some general aviation flights, but unfortunately this random traffic does not follow the defined SIDs. For all randomly generated flights I observe
flight-Id    from: xxxx to: yyyy      'preferred SID/STAR: -none'

in the simulation log file. Apart from that the random generated flights can be controlled normally but they need to be radar vectored or cleared to an appropriate waypoint.

• Arrival flights do work okay in general but I need to do some more optimizing of their descend profiles in  order to get a more realistic handover from center sectors
  • I did observe that arrival flights start an uncommanded descend without being cleared to a certain altitude (7000 feet ?) when they apporach the end of the defined STAR, even if a minimum altitude is defined for the complete path of the STAR. 

That behaviour is not really a problem in my opinion but one should know about it. You simply need to issue a proper descend clearance in due time before the flight approaches the last waypoint of the STAR as in real life

Still to do:

• Writing a sector description and/or readme file
  • Optimizing of the arrival profiles (STARs and altitude restrictions)
  • Optimizing the radar map and delete unnecessary waypoints
  • Optimzing the sector file and removing unnecessary code/lines within

Regards

fracasado

• 2 weeks later...

I found the sector boundaries from various sources throughout the web, mainly VATSIM and IVAO related sites but also from skyvector.com, avsim.com and flight simulator sites. Some sites allow you to download sector files with lat/long data for free.

Regards

fracasado

• 3 weeks later...

Status Update:

testing continues with:

• an improved radar map
  • more flights (currently 272 active arrivals and departures)
  • cleaned up database files (typing errors corrected and/or mispelled data removed)
  • added some more aircraft types (mainly business jets)
  • modified and improved aircraft performace data
  • modified airlines.txt

New observations/issues:

• airplane dropped (no useable runway), no single events
    - to be analysed, sudden loss of all runways during a running scenario, no departures and no arrivals anymore, but Tracon does not crash

• no runway pair found for -[runway direction]
    - to be analysed, did occur sometime during minor modifications within the sector definition file, but theer were neither known nor intended changes to the runway itself. But anyhow, something is different and wrong now ...

Still to do:

• Writing a sector description and/or readme file
  • Optimizing of the arrival profiles (STARs and altitude restrictions)
  • Optimizing the radar map and delete unnecessary waypoints
  • Optimzing the sector file and removing unnecessary code/lines within

Regards

fracasado

• 11 months later...

Status Update:

After quite some time I was able to continue my work with the sector:

• modified / corrected airspaces assignments to get a more realistic sectorization
  • added minimum vector altitudes and obstacles to the radar map
  • added restricted areas EDR132 and EDR207 to the radar map
  • added additional runway centre line markings
  • added some more flights to the schedule : AIRPORT STAT:  - EDDS   - ALL airplanes: 588   Active: 588   Active approach: 294   Active departure: 294
  • solved issue concerning no runway pair found for -[runway direction]
  • started to compile some sector description (sectorization overview first)

Regards

fracasado

Sektorisierung_July2016.pdf

screenshot_edds_str_stuttgart_app_tracon2012.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...