The simFlight Network Forums

Paid version of FSUIPC & P3D controller issues

Hi, I have a new PC, running windows 8.1, and am migrating over to P3d from FSX. I had paid version of FSUIPC on my old PC, but cant find the licence details so anyway brought the new version for the new PC.

I am having issues in P3d with my Warthog Hotas and rudders randomly disappearing from the menu in controls and not working correctly.

Am I right in hearing that if I use FSUIPC to program the hardware, I can avoid this issue? And how does work with regard to the TARGET software...Can I also program my thrustmaster MFD's to work in the same way ? 

Any advice gratefully received, thank you, Mark

Hi, I have a new PC, running windows 8.1, and am migrating over to P3d from FSX. I had paid version of FSUIPC on my old PC, but cant find the licence details so anyway brought the new version for the new PC.

Shame. You could have retrieved the details from your SimMarket account.

I am having issues in P3d with my Warthog Hotas and rudders randomly disappearing from the menu in controls and not working correctly.

Am I right in hearing that if I use FSUIPC to program the hardware, I can avoid this issue?

Well, some folks say this, but I really don't understand why it should make any difference, as FSUIPC uses similar methods, via DirectInput, as FSX and P3D. In theory they should both get the same results.

And how does work with regard to the TARGET software..

Sorry, I don't know what TARGET software is.

Can I also program my thrustmaster MFD's to work in the same way ? 

FSUIPC doesn't know or care about what sort of device it is, as long as it looks like a joystick with buttons and/or axes to Windows and therefore DirectInput. I don't know Thrustmaster MFDs.

Pete

Hi Pete, thanks for the prompt reply, I don't mind supporting hard working developers like yourself, so its no biggy. 

TARGET is the thrustmaster software script program that lets you write profiles for the hardware, in much the same way as yours does. I wondered if there was any likelihood of the two interfering with each other, but I guess I must do some trying and find out. 

Do you have any idea why so many people are getting these disconnects in windows 8.1 and P3d? 

rgds, Mark

Hi,

Do you have any idea why so many people are getting these disconnects in windows 8.1 and P3d? 

In Win8.1 you need to set Energy saving to OFF and in USB set Selective Energy saving to OFF.

Well, some folks say this, but I really don't understand why it should make any difference, as FSUIPC uses similar methods, via DirectInput, as FSX and P3D. In theory they should both get the same results.

Any hardware that does the same as Saitek does/ did, have a hardware defined 'dead zone' (not changeable in windows or their driver), so after some time in centre or no movement Win 8.1 (very strong on energy saving designed) thinks the device is no longer used and switches it off.

In case FSX/ P3D don't poll the devices but get changes/ events windows doesn't get forced to read the device and keep it alive. As far as I know you (Pete) poll the devices (?) and so FSUIPC keeps them alive, with the correct energy saving options set in Win 8.1.

Also people with old spiky controller will not face that problem because Windows will send continuous events to FSX/ P3D and doesn't switch the device off.

Would that make sense?