The simFlight Network Forums

Wideclient link broken to server

Hello-

The other day, I was starting a flight when I saw that my simconnect and wideFS connections were broken between the server and client.  I could fix simconnect by changing the server address in the simconnect files from the computer name to the IP address, which I have set to be static.  Now, I still can't get Radar Contact or FSCommander to connect when I run WideClient on the client.  Here is what the log says:

********* WideClient Log [version 6.999m] Class=FS98MAIN *********
Date (dmy): 22/03/15, Time 11:58:49.218: Client name is TERRI
      141 LUA: "C:\Program Files\WideClient\Initial.LUA": not found
      188 Attempting to connect now
      188 Trying to locate server: Need details from Server Broadcast
      188 Failed to connect: waiting to try again
     2219 Attempting to connect now
     4250 Server = DON-PC
     4266 Trying TCP/IP host "DON-PC" port 8002 ...
     4266 ... Okay, IP Address = 198.105.254.69
    25266 Error on client pre-Connection Select() [Error=10060] Connection timed out
    25266 Ready to try connection again
    27297 Attempting to connect now
    27297 Giving up server, looking for another!

The IP address shown above in the log is NOT the IP address I have set on the server.  In the .ini files for FSUIPC and WideClient it does not mention server address, only ports.  Which is 8002 and they match.  Any thoughts?  I know I have file sharing working.  At the top of the FSX window is says "waiting for clients...", but nothing can hook up. 

Thanks,

Don

4250 Server = DON-PC

4266 Trying TCP/IP host "DON-PC" port 8002 ...

4266 ... Okay, IP Address = 198.105.254.69

The IP address shown above in the log is NOT the IP address I have set on the server.  In the .ini files for FSUIPC and WideClient it does not mention server address, only ports.

The name of the Server, DON-PC is supplied by WideServer (inside FSUIPC) by a broadcast message. Then WideClient gets the IP address belonging to that name from Windows. So it is Windows, or more likely your DHCP server (likely your router) which is giving that incorrect IP address.

There is a thread in the FAQ subforum about this sort of problem (look for the title

"WideFS Server names translating into incorrect IP addresses".

As one of suggestions thee says, try setting the correct address as the "ServerIPaddr" parameter in the Wideclient.INI file. Please also refer to the WideFS User Guide. There's a section in that which explains configuring your network and the options available.

Pete

Thanks Pete.  The ServerIPAddr= line in the .ini file seems to have done it.  I also added Protocol=TCP since that wasn't in there either.  I also set the client to a static address, and then rebooted both computers and now it is working.

Strange that this just "broke" one day when I didn't change anything.  I suspect my router may have something to do with it (I have a DVR/modem combination system for both TV and internet).

Thanks for the help,

Don