The simFlight Network Forums

FSX Halts when one joystick button programmed with FSUIPC4

Please help me with this issue.  I am stumped.  Over the past few weeks I have reduced the FSX system and the test to bare bones:

• Problem summary:
    • When I define a button with FSUIPC4 FSX HALTS;  remove the button definition and FSX is stable.
    • The lines, when inserted are under [buttons] and are generated by FSUIPC4 normal button programming:
      • PollInterval=25
      • ButtonRepeat=20,10
      • 1=P2,0,K80,8
    • Defining the button as follows also HALTS (i.e. 1=P2,0,c65561,0)
    • Axis programming works fine.     

• Problem detail:  The following configuration WORKS (9 hour non-interrupted overnight flight) - NO HALT: 
    • No yoke button programmed into FSUIPC4
    • FSX (Acceleration - installed from Scratch) and FSUIPC4 (latest version 4.939i - installed from scratch),
    • No other add-ons installed (No EZDOK, No commercial planes) - I'm using FSX C172 for testing.
    • All hubs are disconnected, only using mouse, keyboard, Matrox, and yoke.  (on a previous try, I disconnected Matrox - and the system still HALTED).
    • I program 4 axes into FSUIPC4 (Yoke, Throttle and Mixture) - this works fine and does NOT cause HALTS
    • System has successfully worked for months with buttons programmed with FSUIPC4.  (Version 4.939e, g and i HALT as do previous versions).

• But, any of these changes causes a FSX HALT:
    • No user interaction with the system whatsoever - just have system start with default file and not touching anything.  (i.e. the FSUIPC4-programmed button IS NOT PRESSED - just programmed in via method below and FSX restarted with the default flight)
    • Program "Pause" button to the Saitek yoke (Button 2) via "Press the keys to be sent" and system HALTs
    • Program "Pause" button to the Saitek yoke via "Select for FSX with Magenta" and system HALTs
    • Program "GPS Terrain" button to yoke via both methods above also HALTs
    • The system also HALTS if a button is programmed to other USB button devices (a Cessna switch panel, a GPS unit, and an Bodimer button interface).
    • The HALT has occurred as quickly as 5 minutes after startup, and as long as 1:35 hours after startup.
    • The HALT is not caused by pressing the button - just programming the button in FSUIPC4.
    • Program and using Axis with FSUIPC4 works fine and does not cause an issue.

• Documents available:
    • FSUIPC4.log (with all FSUIPC4 log options on except weather).
    • AppCrash file (usually shows crashes of type: unknown, stackhash_0a9e, DINPUT8.dll, ntdll.dll)
    • FSUIPC4.ini

System Characteristics: 

• Intel Core i7 - 4770x @ 3.1 ghz.  12GB memory, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, GTX 970 graphics card driver 947.52, NOD32 antivirus, bare bones system (e.g. no Microsoft Office - system is strictly for FSX), Matrox for 3 screen display.
  • Disk Storage:  C: SSD = Windows 7, E: SSD = FSX System, F: 2TB Hard Drive= FSX data
  • FSX is in its own directory on the E: SSD drive.
  • I have made HIMEMFIX=1 to FSX.cfg, uiautomationcore.dll move to main FSX directory and FSUIPC4_Loader.dll to MODULES folder.

Help Please...

Charles

• When I define a button with FSUIPC4 FSX HALTS;  remove the button definition and FSX is stable.
    • The lines, when inserted are under [buttons] and are generated by FSUIPC4 normal button programming:
      • PollInterval=25
      • ButtonRepeat=20,10
      • 1=P2,0,K80,8
    • Defining the button as follows also HALTS (i.e. 1=P2,0,c65561,0

Key press 80 is "P" which is normally assigned to PAUSE toggle in FS.  And control 65561 is Pause Toggle, so should I assume by "FSX Halts" you really mean "FSX Pauses"? 

If this is what you mean, and if it is being activated without you really pressing the assigned button, then evidently the button press is being seen nonetheless. You have either a button stuck, or one with bad connection and so causing jitter.

Or is it a sheer (and very unfortunate) coincidence that both of the examples you give are for the Pause control?

With button logging enabled you would be able to see if any buttons were being apparently pressed without any action on your part. If you temporarily run FS in Windowed mode, and enable FSUIPC's console log, you will be able to see this in real time, on screen.

If you want me to check things like the Log and INI files, you should paste their contents into your message here. Just use the <> button above the edit area to enclose the text for pasting.

Not sure why you mention an AppCrash file. What is crashing?

Pete

Hello Pete,

Thanks so much for the quick response.  The use of the "Pause" key was coincidence.  The system is not "Pauseing" but a hard HALT of FSX.  The HALT has to be cleared with the Windows Task Manager.  I have likewise experienced crashes where the FSX program reboots - but this is far less common (1 in 10 are crashes, the rest are HALTs).

It appears no matter what key I program (Pause, GPS Terrain Toggle, Beacon Light Toggle, Brakes) causes the HALT.  The strange thing is that I start the system with the FSX C172 plane parked on the ground, starting it as the default flight, and don't hit any keys or use any axis - absolutely no Human Interface.  After a few minutes - it HALTs on its own.

Also, no matter what piece of equipment I program a button for gives the same HALT issue.  Two of the Joystick devices I have tested are commercial (Cessna switches, and GPS) and one is the Bodnar board from the UK.

I have a file with 12 pages and hand-numbered each page on bottom right: Page 1 is FSUIPC4.ini; page 4 is a crash dump from APPCrash; page 9 is also from APPCrash showing many tests that I have made all ending with a HALT or a crash;  page 11 starts a FSUIPC4.log file.  It is however a PDF file.  Is there a way to get that to you?

Thanks, Pete.

Pete,

Here is the FSUIPC4.ini, FSUIPC4.log and Appcrash record.  An Appcrash record is generated each time the FSX system Halts and I have to kill it with Windows task manager.

The test reflect:

• Start FSX, default flight, no human interface (no buttons touched or axis moved).
  • GPS terrain toggle button programmed onto Saitek Yoke (Button 2).
  • FSX halted after an hour or so and I had to kill FSX with Windows Task Manager.

Thanks,

Charles

FSUIPC4 ini file.txt

FSUIPC4 log file.txt

AppCrash Summary.txt

Thanks so much for the quick response.  The use of the "Pause" key was coincidence.  The system is not "Pauseing" but a hard HALT of FSX. 

Right. Terrible coincidence then, and easily leading to misunderstanding. Also the "HALT" you refer to is always referred to as a "hang". I've never heard it called a halt before!

You said::

System has successfully worked for months with buttons programmed with FSUIPC4.  (Version 4.939e, g and i HALT as do previous versions).

so pretty obviously either something in or associated with FS has become corrupted, or something else you've installed is not right.

I don't think the hang is anything specifically to do with FSUIPC button assignment. The fact that it can happen with no button touched proves that.

Also, it looks like it must be a CRASH not a HALT or a HANG, else you'd not get the AppCrash data. Hangs are notorious, as you never get any information at all.

The AppCrash details say it's a Stackhash problem. the only time I had those regularly was down to a faulty memory module, as I found by removing each in turn. I suspect they can also be caused by faulty or corrupted drivers or presumably other system hardware.

You don't say whether using buttons programmed in FS instead of FSUIPC generates the problem, but as you also say that the system can be used (normally I assume) for a longish time before it crashes then either way it would be difficult to narrow down even if you did.

So, sorry, I don't know any way to help you. It certainly isn't FSUIPC, and I doubt that it's FSX, but you could try reinstalling things. Start with the joystick devices. Uninstall them using the Device Manager, including drivers, then re-boot with them connected so that the drivers get reinstalled. If that doesn't help, try video and other drivers. Finally, just to eliminate FSX corruption, FSX. After that I'm afraid it might be a Windows re-install. I've had to go that far -- not recently, thank goodness.

Pete

Thanks Pete for your advice.  Since I've tried several fresh reinstalls of FSX and FSUIPC from scratch (and kept the reinstalled FSX and FSUIPC  to bare bones) I'll assume that they are OK.

I'll next look at memory, drivers and Windows 7 reinstall.

I've also done some things recommended by Nick N in The FSX Computer System: The Bible - like changing Page File size and moving the Page file and Temp files off the main SSD windows C: drive, using Prefetch.  I'll backtrack on some of those to see if I can tell anything.  May be best to just bite the bullet and reinstall Windows 7.

By the way - when my system is working I have enjoyed using FSUIPC and know that this too will be solved.

I'll check if the buttons still works by programming with FSX.

Once solved, I'll let you know.

Thanks again,

Charles

Thanks Pete,

Will acquaint myself with that website and do a search there for instruction.

However, this morning I did a totally clean install of Windows 7 and will do fresh installs of FSX and FSUIPC4 later today.  Will hold off using and NickN "Bible" modifications until I get those two programs working well with axis and button assignments.  After that will be judicious regarding using "Bible" modes to the system (like moving Page and Temp files and changing default Page file sizing).

Sometimes it's easier to "Just Do It"... (like reinstalling Windows 7).

Charles