The simFlight Network Forums

GPSout and Galaxy S5 android phone

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 phone loaded with a GPS and the program to receive mock GPS information from outside source.  Now I need to know how to configure FSUIPC to send the information to my phone.

Most of the information I am finding is how to connect a GPS to my phone.  Not how to connect my computer with GPS information to my phone

I have a cable with a mini USB connection to my phone, and a USB connection to pug into my computer's USB port, but when I plug it in, the phone is recognized as an external drive.  From the information I have been reading, I would need my connection to be recognized as a "com port".

The GPS supplier has suggested a OTG cable.  Looking at pictures of the cable, it has the mini USB that connects to my phone, and the other end is a female USB connection.  Then, what would I connect from there to my computer? a cable with 2 male end USB?  How would that differ from what I have?

Can anybody help me with this dilemma?

Michel E Paquette

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 phone loaded with a GPS and the program to receive mock GPS information from outside source.  Now I need to I have a cable with a mini USB connection to my phone, and a USB connection to pug into my computer's USB port, but when I plug it in, the phone is recognized as an external drive.  From the information I have been reading, I would need my connection to be recognized as a "com port".

Yes. It sounds like that USB port on the phone is preset, by the software in the phone, to allow reading/writing data, like photos and videos, from/to the internal memory. Unless you can find, in the phone's settings, a way to turn that off .

Is the program you installed to "receive mock GPS information" actually specified for use on that phone? If so it should be able to get the software in it (Android, I assume?) to make the correct confiiguration change to the USB port.

The GPS supplier has suggested a OTG cable.  Looking at pictures of the cable, it has the mini USB that connects to my phone, and the other end is a female USB connection.

Ah, yes, I've read about those. They are wired slightly differently inside -- I think certain pins are jumpered to signal to the device that it needs to do something else. Worth a try.

Then, what would I connect from there to my computer? a cable with 2 male end USB?

Yes. I suppose so. You can get those too.

How would that differ from what I have?

Only the different wiring configuration in the OTG cable.

Pete

Later on last evening I went to Wikipedia and typed in "OTG cables".  I don't always trust Wikipedia since it is written by other people who may or may not know what they are saying, but the way it is being explained has merit.

With the regular cable, the computer is "master" and the phone is "slave".  Therefore the computer tells the phone what to do.  With the "OTG cable" the phone becomes The master and the computer the slave.  And like you said, its likely all in the wiring of the OTG cable. 

Next step, get myself an OTG cable and give that a try.

Michel

Pete

I got my OTG cable and a Data link cable.  But when I connect them, Window 7 in my computer sets it up as a "USB Easy Data transfer" connection rather than a com port.  IF FSUIPC is looking for a Com port, How would I work this out?

Is there a way to change the "USB data transfer" connection to a kind of virtual com port?

Michel

Pete

I got my OTG cable and a Data link cable.  But when I connect them, Window 7 in my computer sets it up as a "USB Easy Data transfer" connection rather than a com port.  IF FSUIPC is looking for a Com port, How would I work this out?

Is there a way to change the "USB data transfer" connection to a kind of virtual com port?

My only experience with a non-computer connection for GPS needed the program which connects to the USB port in the way you state disabling. That was, however, on a Windows XP PC. I never got "USB Easy Data Transfer", but if you can find the application or applet which is doing that, and disable it, then you might be able to access it as a Port. 

But I doubt if it will look like a COM port as such. There are ways of addressing USB connections as if they are COM ports, but not with the COMn name.  Check the FSUIPC4 User Guide, page 12. The suggested name there was \\.\WCEUSBSH001, or 002, 003 etc. Whether this name format still applies I cannot say.

All this stuff is really beyond me.The GPSout facility was intended only to link to moving map programs on another PC, never to other sundry devices. The fact that so many folks have managed to connect such things always surprised me. Maybe you'll find more advice (not necessarily FS-related) on Forums more specific to your device or device type.

Pete

Pete

After re-reading the user guide a bit more carefully, I went back to my "devise manager" and when I plug in the transfer cable, I can go check the properties  for the cable.  Under the general tab, in the heading "location" is says "Port_#0001.Hub_#0003".  Is this what I should be typing in the unique port name?  All of it or just part of it?

In the next line on your guide you say to "Kill active link".  I need to find out how to do this on both my computer and my phone. 

Right now I should be getting to work so I will need to research this later.

Michel

Under the general tab, in the heading "location" is says "Port_#0001.Hub_#0003".  Is this what I should be typing in the unique port name?  All of it or just part of it?

Sorry, I don't know. I could research it on-line when and if I get time, but then so could you. I have no idea why the name I use, "\\.\WCEUSBSH001" worked nor how it is derived -- that, as it says, was from another user.

In the next line on your guide you say to "Kill active link".  I need to find out how to do this on both my computer and my phone. 

In my case the "active link" was a Garmin GPS driver, installed when I wanted to upload/download maps and waypoint data. I had to use Task Manager to terminate the process or service (sorry, don't remember which).

Pete

Pete

Thanks for your reply.  I will research all this when I get free time later today

I did make a quick check in task manager and there was a "window transfer" (or something like that) that I could terminate.

Also in the detail tabs of the transfer cable properties there is a whole bunch of other information that I need to check out.  maybe that is were I will find what I need to put into that box in FSUIPC.

I will let you know what (if) I find any other usefull information.

Michel

Hello all

My problem is not yet resolved, but I thought of giving you an update of what I have found up to now.

First of all, Alaxus, I have looked at the linked article and although it is for FS9, it is revealing an important part.  It does talk about a Bluetooth connection that provides a com port connection.  It talks about similar article for FSX in FSX forum, but I can't find it.

Next, in looking at different sites for USB to USB data cable, I found "FTDI", which provides a driver that claims to create a virtual com port connection when you plug in your data transfer cable.  The problem is that they advise to only use with a "FTDI" cable, as the "FTDI" cable has the required chip to work with the driver.  If the driver is used on other cables, it may damage the cable (so they say).

So, I have sent and E-mail to "Prolific" which is the manufactured of the cable I did buy, to find out if they had a driver that could change the connection to a virtual port.  I have to wait until Monday to see if they will respond. ( I hate weekends sometimes)

As for connection via Bluetooth, I have notice that some USB Bluetooth adapters claim to have serial port configuration and some don't mention it.  When researching "Asus" Bluetooth adapters, I get the "Asus BT400" which mentions in the profile  it has "Serial Port Profile".   I have seen other adapters that claim "multi language capabilities" and in the profile it also states "serial port profile" and the others adapters that I have looked only mentions the ability to connect to other items like smartphone via Bluetooth.

It appears that not all data link cable or Bluetooth adapters are the same.

I will get back here later this week with any progress on this. 

Michel

• 4 weeks later...

Pete

there has been some development on this issue, but it is still not resolved 

My E-mail to "Prolific" did not produce any results.  As far as they are concern, I can't create a COM Port connection using there cable.

I did order and receive the "Iogear Bluetooth adapter" that claimed multi-language configuration.  In the settings, I can create a COM port, but only an "incoming" com port.  After creating the com port, FSUIPC automatically picked this com port for connection.  On my phone, I have the program "Bluetooth GPS" which I can connect to my PC, but it does not seem to be picking up the GPS information from FSUIPC.  I am not sure if it is a configuration issue in the FSUIPC screen, or a connection issue.  I plan to send an E-mail to the program developer, but I am not anticipating any useful feedback, as I am not connecting to an actual GPS. 

If I can't get this to work , I still have the "FTDI cable" option to try..

Michel

After creating the com port, FSUIPC automatically picked this com port for connection.  On my phone, I have the program "Bluetooth GPS" which I can connect to my PC, but it does not seem to be picking up the GPS information from FSUIPC.  I am not sure if it is a configuration issue in the FSUIPC screen, or a connection issue.

You'd need to know the type of GPS data is wants to receive -- eg which NMEA sentences, or maybe it is Aviation format, etc? Also the speed being set may be important, even though it may be translated into USB signals lower down.

If a COM port has been set in FSUIPC, and one or more data formats selected, data will be going to that port. The rest is up to whatever is on the other end.

Pete

Pete

Could the fact that the COM port configuration is only an "incoming Com Port' have any bearing on the  communication problem?

As to the type of GPS data setup, I have sent Email to app developer with a screenshot of your "GPSout" configuration page for his input.

Michel

Could the fact that the COM port configuration is only an "incoming Com Port' have any bearing on the  communication problem?

Sorry, "incoming" to which, the PC or the Device? Obviously if there's no ability for the PC to send data out then it can't send data out.

Pete

Pete

its an "incoming" on the PC.  but here is a section of the "help screen" in configuring com port on my Bluetooth"

"When you add a Bluetooth enabled device to your computer, this often creates an incoming COM port and an outgoing COM port. The incoming COM port permits your device to connect to a program on your computer, while the outgoing COM port permits a program on your computer to connect to your device. Usually, you only need to use one of these COM ports. For more information, see Add a Bluetooth enabled device to your computer."

I am wandering if once the "connection" is established from the devise app to the PC, can the information flow both ways?

Michel

I am wandering if once the "connection" is established from the devise app to the PC, can the information flow both ways?

Well, USB and COM ports using a standard serial cable wiring are always bi-directional. I didn't know Bluetooth was not. So, sorry, if your created COM port is one way TO the PC, then obviously any data FSUIPC sends to it gets nowhere.

Pete

Pete

Here is what I got from Iogear:

My question:

"I have purchased the adapter and I was able to configure an "incoming" COM port. According to the help file in configuring com ports, the incoming com port is used to connect a program from the devise to the PC. The question I have is the following: Once the program on the device is connected to he PC, will the communication between the program on the PC and the app on the device flow both ways, or is the communication only possible from devise to PC?"

There answer:

"It depends on the device connected and its limitations Yes it should communicate both ways
Thank You,"

So now I wait for answer from App developer.  Then I may need to find out if my phone might be causing a communication problem.

Michel

• 2 weeks later...

Pete

Just to let you know , I am still trying to get proper information from different source to connect to my phone, but nobody seems to be able to give me definite t answers.  And up to now, all attempts with deferent programs or connections have failed, but I still have the FTDI USB to USB with there VCP driver that I have not tried yet. 

But in the mean time, I have attempted and finally succeed with another program.  Not on my phone, but on my lap top.

Since my Lap top is running on Window XP, and is already connected to FSX via WideFS, I  went looking for a marine GPS for my lap top.  I found "SesClear II", which together  with MixW, (which I could not find on your support site) is now connected to FSX,  I will now need to look at configuring SeaClear as right now the position is updated only every 20 seconds or so, which I find to slow.  Although I find it awkward to keep looking sideways at my lap top, it is a working solution for now.

I will let you know if I ever get my phone connected.

Michel

Pete

Finally got my "Null Modem" cable from FTDI

When I plug it in, it sets up COM5.

My app on my phone is still not picking up the GPS out, so I am wandering if that is something with the Null modem cable properties that I need to adjust.

This is what I have at the moment"

Bit per second    9600

Data Bits             8

Parity                  none

Stop Bit               1

Flow control        none

And in the advance tab

Receive  (bytes)   2048

Transmit (bytes    2048

BM options:

Latency timer    1

Timeouts:

Minimum read     0

Minimum write    0

Should I be changing any of those parrameters?

Michel

• 2 weeks later...

Pete

Finally got my "Null Modem" cable from FTDI

When I plug it in, it sets up COM5.

My app on my phone is still not picking up the GPS out, so I am wandering if that is something with the Null modem cable properties that I need to adjust.

This is what I have at the moment"

Bit per second    9600

Data Bits             8

Parity                  none

Stop Bit               1

Flow control        none

And in the advance tab

Receive  (bytes)   2048

Transmit (bytes    2048

BM options:

Latency timer    1

Timeouts:

Minimum read     0

Minimum write    0

Should I be changing any of those parrameters?

I've no idea -- it would be a function of the device. The only relevant value is probably the bits per second. That's normally 4800 for NMEA standard devices, but I know some devices can be set higher.

The speed is actually set in FSUIPC's menu in any case. The ones in the Windows device manager settings are only defaults, in case the program doesn't set them.

I think your investigation should be centred on the phone device itself, not on the app or FSUIPC -- maybe it just won't support what you want to do. I'd have no idea how to do it on an iPhone or iPad, for instance.

Pete

Thanks for your response

I will go on to Samsung  forum and ask more questions there

If I ever get it working, I will get back here with the solution

In the mean time, the "SeaClear II" lap top GPS with MixW and WideFS is working just fine.  The only inconvinence is having to turn my head to see my progress.  It could get hard on the neck!!!

Michel E Paquette

SUCCESS AT LAST

It was all in the baud rate.

Went back thru my E-mail correspondence from the GPS app to make sure I was using the suggested "Bluetooth" app, and I was.  I then checked that app for baud rate settings and there was no way to set baud rate.  Verified my "com port " number for my PC's Blue tooth connection then re-tested making sure my "GPSout" was set to the right com port, and changes my baud rate to 4800 (it was at 9600).  when I get everything started, I am now connected to FS GPS.

My problem in my initial test with the blue tooth connection was my baud rate.

to summarize:

On my pc I am using the "IOGear GBU521W6 USB Bluetooth 4.0 adapter" (multi language connection in order to create a serial port)

on my phone I am using  "Bluetooth GPS" by GG Moblab

Then GPSout in FSUIPC has to be set to 4800

As for Phone apps, I can go to Google earth on my phone and it puts my location as per FSX, therefore any GPS app should work fine.

Thanks again Pete

Michel E Paquette