The simFlight Network Forums
Burkhard

MyTraffic 6 Installation Guide Update

Burkhard.

This is a cut and paste from the final page of the installation guide referred to above;

FSX Steam Edition FSX SE works exactly as FSX does with the following little secret ( secret because it is in this installation instructions):  This contradicts the instructions in the software

FSX SE, if it is the only install of FSX, calls itself FSX and should be treated like FSX through the FSX menu of the Communicator.

FSX SE, if installed in parallel to FSX DVD, calls itself FSX-SE and should be treated through the FSX Steam edition tools only in this case.

What remains is that FSX has problems to open scenery paths that contain too many ..\, so when you add C:\MyTraffic Professional\MyTraffic as scenery using the scenery library tool inside of FSX SE,

some users report that they get scenery not found messages. But these are the instructions you provided if you know that why tell us to do it.....then you tell us to do the following.. which makes no sense  at all,

what do you want users to do if like myself I have this error message, not all of us are developers, we need it clearly spelt out step by step...not all strung out in a line..

In this case, edit the file C:\users\all users\FSX-SE\scenery.cfg (resp. C:\users\all users\FSX\scenery.cfg if the only install) and for the MyTraffic entry enter local= C:\MyTraffic Professional\MyTraffic if you installed MyTraffic there, otherwise the exact path of the MyTraffic main folder.

I don't get your humor quite, it has shown up that one out of hundred users has this problem, so if you have it, then there follows a step by step instruction:

In this case, edit the file C:\users\all users\FSX-SE\scenery.cfg (resp. C:\users\all users\FSX\scenery.cfg if the only install)

for the MyTraffic entry, that may have the form local= ..\..\..\..\..\MyTraffic Professional\MyTraffic,

enter local= C:\MyTraffic Professional\MyTraffic if you installed MyTraffic there, otherwise the exact path of the MyTraffic main Folder. So just replace the  ..\..\..\..\..\ that has been created by FSX Steam Edition by C:\.

Hope this is long enough now.

1. During initial installation I am attempting to use the Editor FSX configuration.  When I press the green Add My Traffic Button I get an error message:  "MyTraffic directory already exists and does not need to be added."  I am also unable to add MyTraffic 6 to the Scenery Library in FSX.  The installation guide is very confusing and not helpful in regard to troubleshooting.  Please provide troubleshooting that I would understand.  Thank you!

This is not an error message, but an Information. You cannot add it twice. Did you have MyTraffic 5 installed?

This case is covered in the Installation instructions:

From “Manage FSX” we select “Manage FSX.cfg”.

Here an earlier version of MyTraffic exists already. If this is the case, we have to remove it the following way: In the window we modify the text and remove the line containing MyTraffic completely, then we press on “Get manual changes”.

We press onto the green button now, “Add MyTraffic”, and will see a new line in the editor field:

SimObjectPaths.6="D:\MyTraffic Professional\MyTraffic\Aircraft"

Now press on Save and close and FSX knows where to look for the MyTraffic aircraft.

If you are new to MyTraffic, just check that the entry for MyTraffic that you can see in the left window is the right one, if you want me to check it please just copy/paste the simobject.... lines from there to your reply, and the file MyTraffic\Folders.txt . And when we are on it, once you added the scenery also the part of scenery.cfg ( at the bottom ) about MyTraffic,that you can also copy/paste from the Communicator - with these three informations most issues can be solved.

I have just tried to install MyTraffic 6 and I have to concur, I found the instructions confusing.

Anyway, I persevered and got to the point of adding MyTraffic to the scenery library. When I click "OK" nothing happens, it says "scenery not found". I was pleased to see an update to the instructions, but I don't have this path "C:\users\all users\FSX\scenery.cfg". I only have "Fid" (my username as admin on my PC)., "dub_cm_auto" and "public" so I can't find the scenery.cfg file to add the entry to?

I'm running Windows 7 and FSX:Steam Edition which is installed in the default location:

C:\Program Files (86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX

My FSX.cfg file is in:

C:\Users\Fid\userapps\Microsoft\FSX

MyTraffic is installed in:

C:\MyTraffic Professional\MyTraffic

Any help would be much appreciated.

David.

The all users folder in Windows typically are hidden. But copy and paste

C:\users\all users\FSX\

into the run... dialog of the start menu and you will see it.

Without more information, I assume you also have the ..\..\..\..\..\ path that FSX-SE is able to create but not to open.

Without more information, I assume you also have the ..\..\..\..\..\ path that FSX-SE is able to create but not to open.

Thanks for this, although for me it was found at

C:\users\all users\Microsoft\FSX\

Gav

Hi, I've followed the instructions down to the wire, by when i add it to scenery library, nothing shows up, and when I move the traffic slider up, I just see default AI.  Im using P3D 2.5 BTW.  Help is appreciated.

Cheers

Not sure what you mean with the last comment?

I pasted the C:\users\all users\FSX\ into the run dialog and it didn't find anything.

You are right I missed the Microsoft, correct string is:

C:\users\all users\Microsoft\FSX\

Sorry to many topics answered :)

Please clarify the above?

I have now located the scenery.cfg file and I have no idea where to put "Local=C:\MyTraffic Professional\MyTraffic". Your software hasn't made any entries in this file, so there's nothing to change/add to?

These are the top entries in my file:

[Area.119]

Title=Propeller Objects

Local=Scenery\Props

Layer=119

Active=TRUE

Required=TRUE

[Area.120]

Title=Reno

Local=Scenery\Cities\Reno

Layer=120

Active=TRUE

Required=TRUE

[Area.121]

Title=Istanbul

Local=Scenery\Cities\Istanbul

Layer=121

Active=TRUE

Required=TRUE

[Area.122]

Title=Longleat

Local=Scenery\Cities\Longleat

Layer=122

Active=TRUE

Required=TRUE

[Area.123]

Title=Berlin

Local=Scenery\Cities\Berlin

Layer=123

Active=TRUE

Required=TRUE

[Area.124]

Title=Edwards_AFB

Local=Scenery\Cities\Edwards_AFB

Layer=124

Active=TRUE

Required=TRUE

[Area.125]

Title=Addon Scenery

Local=Addon Scenery

Layer=125

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

[Area.126]

Title=ORBX!OPENLC_BASE

Local=ORBX\FTX_OLC\OLC_AA

Layer=126

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

[Area.127]

Title=ORBX!OPENLC_NAMERICA1

Local=ORBX\FTX_OLC\OLC_NA1

Layer=127

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

[Area.128]

Title=ORBX!OPENLC_EUROPE1

Local=ORBX\FTX_OLC\OLC_EU1

Layer=128

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

I'm not a computer guy, I'm a pilot, so I'm looking for specific and clear instructions please.

Thank you.

There is no entry for MyTraffic here. Use the world - scenery dialog in P3D to add it, this is an ingame function like setting the weather or the view. 

There is no entry for MyTraffic here. Use the world - scenery dialog in P3D to add it, this is an ingame function like setting the weather or the view. 

But Burkhard, as I explained, I'm running FSX: Steam Edition not P3D and I've tried using the scenery library to add your scenery but it won't recognize it. Then you told me to find the users\all users\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg to add the entry? I'm just very confused now???

I'm annoyed because I bought MyTraffic 2013 as well, not knowing it wouldn't work with FSX Steam, now I've bought MyTraffic 6 and I can't get it to work either! So now I've paid out around $90 and have nothing to show for it. I recall Project AI being much easier than this when I had the MS FSX a few years ago.

Hope you can help  me get this working please.

David.

Do you have FSX still installed, so FSX-SE in parallel to it, or Steam as only FSX Version - unfortunately Steam has complete screwed up the addon concept with some decisions they took without understanding what they did - so the user has to do a few things himself, which fortunately are far easier than a pre flight check list.

As you see in your supplied scenery.cfg, there is no entry for MyTraffic. So you have to add it through the scenery library Dialog, If there you see one, then the scenery.cfg is not the right one, that's why I need to know the basic Information I asked for.

I only have FSX Steam installed now. I removed an old install of FSX a long time ago and I did a registry clean up.

The scenery config I showed you is the same as the one that pops up in the library dialogue of FSX Steam (as you see I added Orbix textures etc. no problem, because their installer did it for me).

The problem I have is the scenery library finds the MyTraffic Professional\MYTraffic folder just fine, but when I click OK, it says file not recognized. Same as the other poster further up this thread. I posted here because I'm having the same problem.

Could I add the entry to the scenery.cfg manually and save it? If so, I just need to know exactly what to type in there. Something I can copy and paste would be best. I posted my software locations etc. in my original post above.

I have successfully added the entry in the FSX.cfg file, so that's OK I believe.

Looking forward to resolving this. Thanks for your patience and help.

David.

When does it say file not recognized, is it when loading the scenery that it does not find ..\..\..\..\..\MyTraffic Professional\MyTraffic? That is a known bug in FSX SE, in this case edit scenery.cfg and replace  ..\..\..\..\..\ by the correct path, like C:\ or where you placed it, as instructed in the manual in this topic.

When does it say file not recognized, is it when loading the scenery that it does not find ..\..\..\..\..\MyTraffic Professional\MyTraffic? That is a known bug in FSX SE, in this case edit scenery.cfg and replace  ..\..\..\..\..\ by the correct path, like C:\ or where you placed it, as instructed in the manual in this topic.

No, it's when I try to add your scenery to the scenery library from within FSX SE. You just told me that I can't edit my scenery.cfg file so I haven't. There are no paths like you suggest in there anyway. As I said, I'm finding this very confusing, why can't it just install like most other add-ons do? I know that the old FSX and FSX SE have problems coexisting, but I don't have FSX on my system any more. So the file structure should be and is good (no "SE" extensions).

David.

From within it should work, that is a standard user action in FSX/FSX-SE, and the only way supported by Microsoft to add scenery. Note you add the MyTraffic Folder, not the MyTraffic\scenery folder, in FSX a scenery folder is a folder that contains a subfolder \scenery . 

If still unclear, please give us the exact error message that you see, best as a screen shot, or the exact text, otherwise I still have to guess and this makes help less valuable.

Flyingfid, you are looking into the wrong scenery.cfg. Let me see if i can help you, Go to LocalDisk©>ProgramData>Microsoft>FSX and open the scenery.cfg there. In that file find the entry for My Traffic, my happens to be area 133. It should look something like this 

[Area.133]
Title=MyTraffic
Local=\\\\\\\\\\\...\MyTraffic Professional\MyTraffic
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=125

You need to change this line  Local=\\\\\\\\\\\...\MyTraffic Professional\MyTraffic   to look like this  Local=C:\MyTraffic Professional\MyTraffic

So now your entry should look like this   

[Area.133]
Title=MyTraffic
Local=C:\MyTraffic Professional\MyTraffic
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=125

The [Area.133} may be different, but you get what i mean. And this is as long as you have followed the instructions where to install My Traffic 6 in the first place. Let me know if this has helped

Bob

Hello,

I am having similar problems installing the scenery into FSX. I have followed your instructions. I have changed the  ' Local=\\\\\\\\\\\...\MyTraffic Professional\MyTraffic ' to look like this in the cfg file 'Local=C:\MyTraffic Professional\MyTraffic'   and I still don't have traffic. I continue to receive scenery error messages when loading FSX. I am running FSX steam on windows 8.1.

Is there anything else that I can do?     Please use layman's terms as I am not an expert in this.

Thanks

I managed to install MT6 on my E: drive in E:\MyTraffic Professional\MyTraffic and added it in FSX. So far, so good.

I have the 

Area.156]
Title=MyTraffic
Local=E:\MyTraffic Professional\MyTraffic
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=156

in the scenery.cfg, but when I want to save the .cfg I get the error:

Access to C.\ProgramDATA\Microsoft\FSX\Scenery.cfg was denied

How do I get admin rights on that file so I can save it (and hopefully get MT6 to show up in FSX SE
I only have FSX SE and haven't had the box fsx on this PC.

Thanks 
Jorn

SOLVED.

BUT, I have in my life (60 years) never had a payware programme which is SO difficult to install.
I have added myTraffic in FSX scenery library, have edited the cfg file with the above settings, have managed FSX paths in the communicator, added MYT with the green button in the manage fsx.cfg editor and the result...............NO TRAFFIC what so ever!!!!!!!
In the Communicator it says in red: Traffic Databasebuilder not yet copied.....What does that mean and how do I fix that?
Oh man, I'm getting really frustrated with this programme. How hard can it be to make a simple installer that does all of this??? Other ai prg's can do it (Woai) UT2 and not to mention the illegal ones, so why not MYT?
ANY help will be highly appreciated, and if someone is willing to try via Teamviewer, that would be just perfect.

Flyingfid, you are looking into the wrong scenery.cfg. Let me see if i can help you, Go to LocalDisk©>ProgramData>Microsoft>FSX and open the scenery.cfg there. In that file find the entry for My Traffic, my happens to be area 133. It should look something like this 

[Area.133]
Title=MyTraffic
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=125

You need to change this line  Local=\\\\\\\\\\\...\MyTraffic Professional\MyTraffic   to look like this  Local=C:\MyTraffic Professional\MyTraffic

[Area.133]
Title=MyTraffic
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=125

The [Area.133} may be different, but you get what i mean. And this is as long as you have followed the instructions where to install My Traffic 6 in the first place. Let me know if this has helped

Bob

Thank you thank you thank you! this also solved it for me...after a week of fiddling with it.

[Area.133]
Title=MyTraffic
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=125

[Area.133]
Title=MyTraffic
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=125

Bob

Thank you Bob, although my specific paths are different (I have FSX Steam), I have managed to manually add the entry to the scenery.cfg file. I don't think Burkhardt was fully understanding my problem, I wasn't getting an error message, I just couldn't add the scenery to the library because FSX Steam wasn't finding it (when I clicked OK, nothing happened).

By using some common sense and guesses, I now have the traffic appearing in the sim. But I must concur with KMCK, the installation is unnecessarily complicated and confusing, even the operation of the "communicator" is confusing. I suspect it is so because English isn't Burkhardt's first language and that's OK, but I recommend maybe getting someone fluent to re-write the instructions for future versions.

At first look, the aircraft are very basic (understand it's for frame rates etc.) and shiny. Quite a few don't have callsigns so ATC and the labels don't speak/show the airline etc. I'm sure this can be fixed in the Airline.cfg file and with a program such as Editvoicepack.

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated.