The simFlight Network Forums

Message (3380) window properties

Hi folks, and Peter in particular,

Is there any possibility to control the window and/or font properties of the message that is displayed via offsets 32FA/3380?

I know the window functionality belongs to the sim (P3D2 in my case), and the window location/size is written in the fxml flight file. But I found no way to change anything but that - location and size.

My problem is that the message window is too translucent and the text may be almost unreadable, depending on the background. Ideally I would like to make it completely opaque.

There is a workaround that 'almost' works: make the message window undocked (in the fxml file, or just in the usual manner). It then becomes opaque. The only problem with this is that the window stays forever, even after the message times out or is otherwise cleared. If colour/transparency control is difficult, would it be possible for FSUIPC to explicitly close the window when the message is cleared?

Is there any possibility to control the window and/or font properties of the message that is displayed via offsets 32FA/3380?

No, not that I've ever found. I'm using a function buried in FS's Window.dll and really cannot decode it all to see any better ways.

My problem is that the message window is too translucent and the text may be almost unreadable, depending on the background. Ideally I would like to make it completely opaque.

Just undock it. Or use a Lua script to display it separately altogether, even on a sparate WideFS client PC, as I do.

There is a workaround that 'almost' works: make the message window undocked (in the fxml file, or just in the usual manner). It then becomes opaque. The only problem with this is that the window stays forever, even after the message times out or is otherwise cleared.

It shouldn't do. I've not noticed that here, with FSX at least. I don't use P3D. Maybe this is a specific problem in P3D?

If colour/transparency control is difficult, would it be possible for FSUIPC to explicitly close the window when the message is cleared?

FSUIPC isn't really opening it, just using the existing facilities in the sim to hide or show it. And when a blank message is sent by the application displaying messages, in order to close it, FSUIPC already does send the command to hide it. Closing it explicitly would stop it even being reopened and might crash the sim. It would need to re-create the window using calls which are currently only used during initialisation.

Pete