The simFlight Network Forums

I seem to have broken TrafficLook?

The day before yesterday I tried out TrafficLook. Awesome!

(

[totally irrelevant aside narrative:]

I was flying between KBNA and KSBP in the CRJ-100 and a 737 went by a few FLs below me at an angle so I changed course to follow him. I was about to begin the process of pacing him through trial-and-error, and try to guess where he was going, when I thought of TrafficLook and Eureka! : His Alt GS Hdg and destination right there in front of me. He was heading to KSAN and, since I live there, I dropped my plans to go to San Luis Obispo and punched Direct-to-KSAN in the GPS and followed him home.

[END OF T.I.A.N]

)

I was so impressed I registered my FSUIPC and went looking for a good TCAS guage.

I failed to get a working TCAS and somewhere in the process TrafficLook stopped working.

Here is what I see: (regardless of where my plane is)

slot |ID   |State|Rwy|From|To|COM1 |
     |User |     |   |    |  |100.2|
Brg|Dist|Hdg|Alt |AltDiff|GS|VS|Ref|Lat        |Long
   |    |359|7559|       |0 |2 |   |N00 00.0000|E000 00.0000
2 Re-installs of FS2004 have not fixed this problem (first one I forgot to delete the "Flight Simulator 9" directory  - which kinda was the point - figuring something I installed in re those TCAS guages was the culprit...)
So, I am stumped.
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,    
-Chris

TrafficLook.txt

I was so impressed I registered my FSUIPC and went looking for a good TCAS guage.

I failed to get a working TCAS and somewhere in the process TrafficLook stopped working.

If TrafficLook stopped registering any AI traffic, then either AI traffic itself has stopped working or you are out of range of any. Did you see any other traffic?

What traffic program are you using?

Lat        |Long

N00 00.0000|E000 00.0000

Ah, that's not good. So TrafficLook isn't receiving anything from FSUIPC.

You need to find the FSUIPC.LOG file -- in the FS Modules folder -- and paste its contents here. Reproduce the problem first, then close FS and get the file.

Pete

HI, Pete.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. (edit later)  - Never Mind. All good now...

Hmmmm. No fsuipc.log file. Of course i forgot to start logging the first time i tried. Tried

- starting logging,

verifying the problem,

and exiting FS.

- starting logging,

verifying the problem,

stopping logging

and exiting FS.

but , if Win7's search can be trusted (and we know it can't), there is no fsuipc file anywhere on my drive :sad:

I'll try deleting fsuipc and putting in a new one...

D'oh! I'm sure i did this at least once already... maybe i just put a new copy into modules....

Ok, well, running "Install FSUIPC", deleting my old registration and re-registering:

+===========================+

|                                                             |

|       Has Solved the Problem !!!!         |

Plan-G is connecting properly now, too.

OK, Then.

So glad you have more patience for idiots than i do.

Thanks for showing me a way to test fsuipc.

Awesome, i'm going to go install me some new guages! And maybe resume my work on my ATC robot now that i've learned that i can place and control (well, update) AI planes.  No more simultaneous parallel approaches to the same runway!!

Once again, Thank You.

-Chris

Edited by chris004

Hmmmm. No fsuipc.log file. Of course i forgot to start logging the first time i tried.

You NEVER need to "start logging". FSUIPC always produces a log. The button on the logging tab merely closes the current log file, renaming it with a .1, then starts another. You don't need to use that.

but , if Win7's search can be trusted (and we know it can't), there is no fsuipc file anywhere on my drive  :sad:

You do not neede to "search". I told you where! All FSUIPC are in the FS Modules folder. Without an FSUIPC.DLL file there, for instance, FSUIPC cannot run because if it isn't there it cannot be loaded! There will also be an FSUIPC.INI file with your settings, an FSUIPC.KEY file with your registration, and of course the FSUIPC.LOG file which is the log.

I'll try deleting fsuipc and putting in a new one...

D'oh! I'm sure i did this at least once already

If you cannot find any FSUIPC files, how did you manage that? ;-)

Ok, well, running "Install FSUIPC", deleting my old registration and re-registering:

|       Has Solved the Problem !!!!         |

Good. In that case it sounds like you had a bad registration. The log would have told me that, had you found it as you found the FSUIPC to replace and the Registration to delete!

Pete

At the risk of being rude by hijacking a thread, it does appear that this one has reached its conclusion.

A comment by the OP about Windows 7 Search rings true with me. There are some alternatives out there, one of the best in my opinion is a utility called "Everything" available from http://www.voidtools.com/. It is available in 32 and 64 bit configurations. It does not search inside files but it is lightning fast at finding file names and/or extensions. 

Thanks, Tom.

Indeed, this thread had fulfilled its purpose even before I hit send on my last post.

I appreciate the tip about the search utility. I rarely need to search within files and one of my biggest gripes about the Win7 search is that there seems to be no way to tell it not to do that.

-Chris

Hi, Peter.

I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. Only after I failed to find a file named "fsuipc.log" in the modules folder did I run the search.

At the time there was only one file named fsuipc in that folder. That was the DLL. I deleted the registration by using that option on the registration form within fsuipc, as my first attempt to register after the re-install had failed.

Thanks.

-Chris

I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. Only after I failed to find a file named "fsuipc.log" in the modules folder did I run the search.

At the time there was only one file named fsuipc in that folder. That was the DLL. I deleted the registration by using that option on the registration form within fsuipc, as my first attempt to register after the re-install had failed.

The registration option is in the Installer, not in FSUIPC. The Modules folder will contain the FSUIPC.DLL, the .INI. the .LOG and, when registered, the .KEY files, ALL named "FSUIPC ...". If there was only the DLL present then that copy of FSUIPC had never been used, as it ALWAYS produces the INI and LOG files. If that DLL had never been used, then that install of FS had not been run since FSUIPC was installed.

If what you say is true, and I do believe you, then you have two installations of FS and the one you ran was not the one you looked at.

Pete