The simFlight Network Forums

Windows 10 Autosave

Hi,

I just upgraded to windows 10 and when I have autosave on every time it saves my FSX freezes for a few seconds. When I turn autosave off I no longer have this problem. I would like to have autosave on for the times my FSX doesn't like me. Is anybody else having this problem? And how can I fix it?

Thanks,

Ian

I just upgraded to windows 10 and when I have autosave on every time it saves my FSX freezes for a few seconds. When I turn autosave off I no longer have this problem. I would like to have autosave on for the times my FSX doesn't like me. Is anybody else having this problem? And how can I fix it?

All FSUIPC's autosave does is call the FS save routine at intervals, exactly as if you'd gone to the menu to save, or used the ; keypress. Any delay will be caused by one or other of:

1. Bad hard disk organisation, maybe needing defragging

2. Windows set to not cache files, so it tries to do the disk operation immediately

3. Add-on aircraft saving their own data and freezing the sim whilst they collect it (PMDG are famous for this).

Pete

All FSUIPC's autosave does is call the FS save routine at intervals, exactly as if you'd gone to the menu to save, or used the ; keypress. Any delay will be caused by one or other of:

1. Bad hard disk organisation, maybe needing defragging

2. Windows set to not cache files, so it tries to do the disk operation immediately

3. Add-on aircraft saving their own data and freezing the sim whilst they collect it (PMDG are famous for this).

Pete

1. I have an SSD so I can't defrag

2. But I did not have this problem in windows 7

3. It is happening in all aircraft even the default ultralight.

Edited by ianj844

1. I have an SSD so I can't defrag

2. But I did not have this problem in windows 7

3. It is happening in all aircraft even the default ultralight.

Hmm. something wrong with the Windows 10 caching system them. Try saving using the ; key or menu; entering the name. It will do exactly the same thing. There is no way anything in FSUIPC can change how FS saves flights. As I said, all it does is call the routine to save the flight in the same way the normal FS facilities do. There's nothing else is can do.

Did you at least check that Windows is not set to always write immediately rather than use caching?

Pete

Hmm. something wrong with the Windows 10 caching system them. Try saving using the ; key or menu; entering the name. It will do exactly the same thing. There is no way anything in FSUIPC can change how FS saves flights. As I said, all it does is call the routine to save the flight in the same way the normal FS facilities do. There's nothing else is can do.

Did you at least check that Windows is not set to always write immediately rather than use caching?

Pete

How do I check for that?

My sin setup is currently win 10 and FSX steam running on I7 4790k cpu 16 gigs ram 500Gb SSD
for Win10 abd separate SSD for FSX.   I have never experienced this "freezing" on autosave

To test it further, in FSUIPC I set autosave to 20 saves every 60 secs plus -save on ground - plus save as named flight - 60 secs

Then ran FSX  ORBX/global/ pago pago scenery and every scenery slider on max for 15-20 mins using default and payware aircraft.  I even loaded several autosaved flights and I can confirm I had NONE of these reported freezes - fps and flight smoothness were unchanged (no stutters) throughout the flight

Are you limited on RAM installed or have setup your system in a way that is causing the issue. You could check Superfetch and prefetch is ON - check this;

press ctrl+alt+del keys and open task manager
click on the services tab
scroll down and look for the service called SysMain  description Superfetch
status should be - Running

next
type regedit in the search box on task bar
and at top select regedit  run command

navigate the folder structure to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters
in the right pane in an entry called  EnablePrefetcher the data column should show 0x0000003(3) the value =3 is correct

Other than that I have a power plan set for high performance and a system managed pagefile set on c:\drive

regards

• 2 weeks later...

just to chime in on this im seeing the exact same behaviour, running windows 10 and FSX:SE...seems to be especially prevalent with PMDG aircraft for me as pete outlined above, but noticeable to a lesser degree on other aircraft i fly...

i looked into what jumpmonkey suggested but that didnt yield anything as superfetch and prefetch are operating normally....i have FSUIPCs autosave turned off for the time being and use my VA's ACARS autosave feature instead, not sure if that works okay with panel states on PMDG birds but well....

lets hope that somehow gets resolved with a win10 update eventually

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to say that I am also having this issue, but it appears only to be with the PMDG 737ngx, Peter said PDMG this was coming for there own internal save to cause this, can't it be turned off? Just until win10 sorts itself out :)

FSUIPC's autosave is optional and is defaulted off in any case. You must have turned it on.

The PMDG cockpit state saving is automatically done when it detects a flight being saved. It isn't independent.

Pete

Thanks Pete,

Yes I did turn on auto save it was just one many great selling points of your FSUIPC :)

I was just wanted see if I could halt the temporary freezing as the save occurred. I will wait to see if windows updates in the future and sorts this out.

On another note, is there a way to auto delete some of the old saved flights in the Aerosoft and PMDG, and maybe only keep the last 4 flights? Sorry if this is a slight change in topic, I'm not wiz kid so if there's a simple way of achieving this it would be great :)

Regards Rob

On another note, is there a way to auto delete some of the old saved flights in the Aerosoft and PMDG, and maybe only keep the last 4 flights? Sorry if this is a slight change in topic, I'm not wiz kid so if there's a simple way of achieving this it would be great :)

FSUIPC does this automatically for all the files it knows, just set the number you want to retain to 4. For files it doesn't know you have to add details into the INI file. There's a section in the Advanced user guide explaining all this -- it is listed in the Contents, "AUTOSAVE: INI-file only options".

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Hello fellow simmers and mister Pete,

i have a problem with autosave, i set the number of max autosaves to 5 but when i look in fsx steam documents i see a lot of autosaves and it does not overwrite the first one of the five anymore.

I have deleted all the saved files in the documents folder but when i fly again  and i look in the documents again it saves every minute (which supposed to do because i set it to every minute) but it doesnt stop and again i see 100plus saved flights after a flight.

Does i have to delete them manually after every flight?

How can i resolve this because now whole my documents folder is full of saved flight.

Many thanks, sorry for bad english 

fsx steam win7/64

I have deleted all the saved files in the documents folder but when i fly again  and i look in the documents again it saves every minute (which supposed to do because i set it to every minute) but it doesnt stop and again i see 100plus saved flights after a flight.

Are you sure they are all FSUIPC-generated flight files? Can you show me a few of the filenames?

There are many add-ons which also save files when a flight is saved. To check you only have 5 actual flight files only count those with the FLT filetype (or FXML for P3D).

If you are using add-ons which save extra files, FSUIPC can manage those too, but you need to tell it about them. Please look up the Autosave chapter in the "FSUIPC4 for Advanced Users" document.

Note that if your Flight Sim crashes there may well be orphaned sets of saved files for which the index in FSUIPC's INI file hasn't been updated. If you do find FS crashing you will occasionally need to clean up old files yourself.

Pete

Pete

I just wanted to add that I can confirmn that my system does the same as Aviator1979, I have my auto set configured to save 6 points. Yesterday morning I deleted around 50 FLT files, I flew last night with no errors or crashes and I have just checked my files to find I have 9 saved FLT files.

I was flying the PMDG 737 with ASN and REX, with VoxATC.. I only add this in case it has any baring on the saving of files.

Windows 10 upgrade and running it on FSX steam.

Regards Rob

I just wanted to add that I can confirmn that my system does the same as Aviator1979, I have my auto set configured to save 6 points. Yesterday morning I deleted around 50 FLT files, I flew last night with no errors or crashes and I have just checked my files to find I have 9 saved FLT files.

Please show me the filenames of the 9 FLT files, and also the [Autosave] section from your FSUIPC4.INI file (in the FS Modules folder).

Incidentally, the 737NGX saves files too.

FSUIPC simply sends Delete File commands to Windows in order to delete the oldest set when it requests FS to create new ones.  It would be a bit disastrous if Windows 10 doesn't allow files to be deleted by programs.

Pete

Please show me the filenames of the 9 FLT files, and also the [Autosave] section from your FSUIPC4.INI file (in the FS Modules folder).

Incidentally, the 737NGX saves files too.

FSUIPC simply sends Delete File commands to Windows in order to delete the oldest set when it requests FS to create new ones.  It would be a bit disastrous if Windows 10 doesn't allow files to be deleted by programs.

Pete

Hello mister Pete , this is what i have in the documents folder, three different types of saves,

FLTfile,FSSAVEfile and WXfile, 

this is my ini file also

[General]
UpdatedByVersion=4944a
History=WXLUK1W1J4WVFEA72D6RG
InitDelayDevicesToo=No
NewInterceptTextMenu=No
UseSystemTime=No
UseMidMouseBtn=Yes
MouseWheelMove=No
MouseWheelTrim=No
MouseWheelTrimSpeed=1
JoystickTimeout=20
PollGFTQ6=Yes
BlankDisplays=No
FixControlAccel=No
FixMachSpeedBug=No
DeleteVehiclesForAES=Yes
AutoScanDevices=Yes
VisibilityOptions=No
OneCloudLayer=No
CloudTurbulence=No
CloudIcing=No
GenerateCirrus=No
SuppressCloudTurbulence=No
MaxIce=-4
MinIce=-4
UpperWindGusts=No
SuppressWindTurbulence=No
SuppressWindVariance=No
WindTurbulence=No
TurbulenceRate=1.0,5.0
TurbulenceDivisor=20,20,40,40
SuppressAllGusts=No
MaxSurfaceWind=0
WindLimitLevel=200
WindDiscardLevel=400
WindAjustAltitude=No
WindAjustAltitudeBy=2000
SmoothBySimTime=No
WindSmoothing=No
WindSmoothness=2
WindSmoothAirborneOnly=Yes
PressureSmoothness=0
TemperatureSmoothness=0
DisconnTrimForAP=No
ZeroElevForAPAlt=No
ThrottleSyncAll=No
WhiteMessages=No
ShowPMcontrols=No
SpoilerIncrement=512
MagicBattery=No
RudderSpikeRemoval=No
ElevatorSpikeRemoval=No
AileronSpikeRemoval=No
ReversedElevatorTrim=No
ClockSync=No
ClockSyncMins=5
ClearWeatherDynamics=No
OwnWeatherChanges=No
TimeForSelect=4
LoadFlightMenu=No
LoadPlanMenu=No
PauseAfterCrash=No
BrakeReleaseThreshold=75
SaveDataWithFlights=No
ZapSound=firework
ShortAircraftNameOk=Substring
UseProfiles=Yes
EnableMouseLook=No
DelayedMouseLookZoom=No
AxesWrongRange=No
TCASid=Flight
TCASrange=40
AxisCalibration=No
DirectAxesToCalibs=No
ShowMultilineWindow=Yes
SuppressSingleline=No
SuppressMultilineFS=No
AxisIntercepts=No
DontResetAxes=No
InitDelay=0
GetNearestAirports=No
OOMcheck=Yes
OOMcheckInterval=10
WeatherReadFactor=2
WeatherRewriteSeconds=1
CustomWeatherModify=No
SimConnectStallTime=1
LuaRerunDelay=66
LogReads=Yes
Console=No
FSVersionUsed="Microsoft Flight Simulator X",10.0.62615.0
SimConnectUsed=10.0.62615.0

[JoyNames]
AutoAssignLetters=No
0=Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals
0.GUID={B1297D40-50E4-11E5-800F-444553540000}
1=Saitek Pro Flight Yoke
1.GUID={B1297D40-50E4-11E5-8010-444553540000}
2=Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant
2.GUID={B1297D40-50E4-11E5-8011-444553540000}

[Axes]
PollInterval=10
RangeRepeatRate=10

[buttons]
PollInterval=25
ButtonRepeat=20,10
1=R1,21,C65966,0
2=U1,21,C65967,0
3=R1,22,C65971,0
4=U1,22,C65972,0

[AutoSave]
Next=1
Interval=60
Files=5
SaveOnGround=Yes
AutoSaveEnabled=Yes
1=Tue 213333
2=Tue 213432
3=Tue 213532
4=Tue 213631
5=Tue 213731
6=Sat 181634
7=Sat 181734
8=Sat 181833
9=Sat 181933
10=Sat 182033

[GPSout]
GPSoutEnabled=No
Port=COM1
Speed=4800
Interval=2000
PosTo6Decimal=No
SimModeIndicator=No
Sentences=

[GPSout2]
GPSoutEnabled=No
Port=<none set>
Speed=4800
Interval=2000
PosTo6Decimal=No
SimModeIndicator=No
Sentences=

[WideServer]
WideFSenabled=Yes
AdvertiseService=1
Port=8002
Port2=9002

[sounds]
Path=G:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\Sound\
Device1=Primary Sound Driver
Device2=Luidsprekers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Device3=SONY TV-C (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)
Device4=Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Device5=Luidsprekers (Plantronics BT300)

[Monitor]
Display=4
Monitor0=0,024C,4,0

[LuaFiles]
1=Aerosoft_F14AB

[ClientNames]
1=JURGEN-LAPTOP

I mostly fly the pmdg 777 with active sky next,aivlasoft efb,i really not know which other program could also save this?
Thank you for he help.
Sincerely

Hello mister Pete , this is what i have in the documents folder, three different types of saves,

FLTfile,FSSAVEfile and WXfile, 

The filetypes are normal. FS saves three files for every saved Flight. Some add-on aircraft also save files -- PMDG aircraft especially.

Are all of the file NAMES the same format, i.e. all with day number and time in the name?

this is my ini file also

The only relevant part of the INI is this:

[AutoSave]

Next=1
Interval=60
Files=5
SaveOnGround=Yes
AutoSaveEnabled=Yes
1=Tue 213333
2=Tue 213432
3=Tue 213532
4=Tue 213631
5=Tue 213731
6=Sat 181634
7=Sat 181734
8=Sat 181833
9=Sat 181933
10=Sat 182033

This shows that you used to have it set to 10 files, so at least half the files would have been from before you changed to 5 files. FSUIPC cannot make retrospective corrections to the saved files. Best to delete all the saved files when you change the options, then things won't get confusing.

I mostly fly the pmdg 777 with active sky next,aivlasoft efb,i really not know which other program could also save this?

I don't know. That's why I wanted to see the fileNAMES, not the file TYPES.

Pete

Hi Peter,

I have attached a zip file which contains two pictures of my FSX Simulators files which is the my document folder, There are two pictures, one from last night (Tuesday) when I was in the PMDG 737, and I flew the A2A Comanche this morning and that is the one marked as Wednesday on the flight date .

Here is the contents of my FSUIPC Auto safe information

[AutoSave]
Next=5
Interval=600
Files=6
SaveOnGround=No
AutoSaveEnabled=Yes
1=Wed 110529
2=Wed 111528
3=Wed 112528
4=Wed 113527
5=Wed 104530
6=Wed 105529

I hope this helps Pete

Regards Rob

Attachments_2015916.zip

The filetypes are normal. FS saves three files for every saved Flight. Some add-on aircraft also save files -- PMDG aircraft especially.

Are all of the file NAMES the same format, i.e. all with day number and time in the name?

The only relevant part of the INI is this:

[AutoSave]

Next=1
Interval=60
Files=5
SaveOnGround=Yes
AutoSaveEnabled=Yes
1=Tue 213333
2=Tue 213432
3=Tue 213532
4=Tue 213631
5=Tue 213731
6=Sat 181634
7=Sat 181734
8=Sat 181833
9=Sat 181933
10=Sat 182033

This shows that you used to have it set to 10 files, so at least half the files would have been from before you changed to 5 files. FSUIPC cannot make retrospective corrections to the saved files. Best to delete all the saved files when you change the options, then things won't get confusing.

I don't know. That's why I wanted to see the fielNAMES, not the file TYPES.

Pete

I dont know how i can make a screenshot within the documents folder, PrtScn did not work but it says this

AutoSave Tue 160905.FLT

AutoSave Tue 160905.FSSAVE

AutoSave Tue 160905.WX

and so one

Is this what you want to see?

I think its a bug within Steam, could be wrong though.

Thank you.

Jürgen

I have attached a zip file which contains two pictures of my FSX Simulators files which is the my document folder, 

Hmm. It looks like the standard ANSI library function "remove" isn't working in Windows 10. That's a bit of a shocker!

I'll try the lower-level function "DeleteFile" instead, and also log it if it returns an error. Bear with me, I'll just build an interim version for you to test.

Pete

Okay. Can you both please try 4.944d, an interim update in which I've changed to "DeleteFile" instead of "remove", to see if that helps. Download the DLL only from FSUIPC4944d_TEST.zip and copy it into the FS Modules folder.

If it still fails to delete older files, please show me the FSUIPC log file -- it should contain some ***ERROR Autosave ...  entries which will give me the reported error number.

Pete

I have just run a flight and it has not deleted the files again, please find attached the file I hope you need for checks.

The problem is that when it saves the flight, SimConnect times out. It looks like it takes seconds with the sim, or at least SimConnect frozen. It is doing it every time it saves a flight. See:

1224109 **** No SimConnect events or states being received! Re-connecting now ... ****
  1224218 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay
  1224218 Running in "Microsoft Flight Simulator X", Version: 10.0.62615.0 (SimConnect: 10.0.62615.0)
  1224218 Initialising SimConnect data requests now
  1224218 FSUIPC Menu entry added
  1224218 C:\Users\Desk-Rob\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\AutoSave Wed 140550.FLT
  1225000 System time = 16/09/2015 14:06:03, Simulator time = 06:54:40 (05:54Z)

This effectively restarts FSUIPC each time.

I suspect this is related to your PMDG aircraft. Please first test with a default aircraft.

It the performance of your Win10 systems in saving flights is as bad as others are reporting, I'm surprised you can tolerate the hesitations in flight whilst they occur. The PMDG aircraft make that 10 times worse.

You can make FSUIPC more tolerant of bad Simconnect responses. I'll tell you more after you test with a default aircraft.

Pete