The simFlight Network Forums

Lua error since 4.939n

Dear Pete,

Since the release 4.939n I observe lua errors causing the crash of P3D.

After extensive research, they seem to be due to "event.cancel" command that seems no longer consideration (nil value).
Could you confirm this (I've found a work around but for my information).

I apologize for my English writing (I use Google translate for this but I read it very well).

Best regards and thank you for all your work.

Since the release 4.939n I observe lua errors causing the crash of P3D.

After extensive research, they seem to be due to "event.cancel" command that seems no longer consideration (nil value).

Could you confirm this (I've found a work around but for my information).

There's been no change in Lua in 4.939n. What was your previous version?

Have you tested with the current version at all (4.941)? I can't support old versions.

Can you find a better translation than "that seems no longer consideration (nil value)" as I don't understand what that means in English.

If you still have a problem with the current version, please show me the Lua file which gives you a problem. I would also need to Windows crash report details, please.

Pete

Sorry if I was not clear.

The use of the instruction "event.cancel (" name of function ")" causes the following error message in the Linda console: "LUA *** Error: Attempt to call a nil value" and crash (not systematically) P3D.

With 4.939i, no mistake. I have tested with versions "n", "t", "u", "v" and the latest 4.941 (I do not have all the intermediaries). With these versions the error is systematic.

I just wanted to warn you.

Best regards.

The use of the instruction "event.cancel (" name of function ")" causes the following error message in the Linda console: "LUA *** Error: Attempt to call a nil value" and crash (not systematically) P3D.

With 4.939i, no mistake. I have tested with versions "n", "t", "u", "v" and the latest 4.941 (I do not have all the intermediaries). With these versions the error is systematic.

Can you please show me the Lua file which gives this error? The event.cancel function is most certainly not a "nil" value, so it must be the function it is referring to. event.cancel is working perfectly well here.

And how does P3D itself crash as you stated? A Lua error merely causes that Lua plug-in to be terminated.

Pete

Dear Pete,

Sorry for the late response.

Attached the lua plug-in causing the error on the instruction "event.cancel".

Note that these are now in comments.

Even if my code has an error how do you explain that this code worked perfectly with the "i" version, and no longer with the higher versions.

When P3D crash a message like "P3D has stopped working" is displayed.

Windows error log reports an error FSUIPC.DLL.

Unfortunately I have deleted this log and I can't provide you the details.

I remain pretty sure that something has changed in the treatment of certain instructions.

Best regards

GSX.zip

Attached the lua plug-in causing the error on the instruction "event.cancel".

Okay. i don't see there any reason why the event.cancel would fail ... but:

When P3D crash a message like "P3D has stopped working" is displayed.

How does the error in even.cancel get logged if P3D crashes? Is there are time difference? Perhaps you should show me the Log file from FSUIPC?

Even if my code has an error how do you explain that this code worked perfectly with the "i" version, and no longer with the higher versions.

Well obviously something has changed, but it certainly is not anything in the event.cancel facility. The most likely thing is something else is corrupting something in memory which destroys the listed function being cancelled and probably results in P3D crashing.

But there's no way in the world I am ever going to be able to determine what is wrong with virtually no information. I need the Windows crash data and the FSUIPC log file. I ALWAYS need this sort of information, there is rarely any point at all in reporting a problem without providing such data!

You should note that you have many commented out uses of event.cancel in that Lua plugin. Do ALL of those you've commented out cause the same problem?

You also have two not commented out:

event.cancel("Boarding")
event.cancel("Catering")

Unfortunately I have deleted this log and I can't provide you the details.

Really? Are you sure you know where to look? The Windows event viewer retains error data for a long time. Why would you deliberately delete it all?

I remain pretty sure that something has changed in the treatment of certain instructions.

No, I don't think it's specifically directly related to Lua, which has not changed. I suspect something else is causing some memory corruption. It may always have done, but just different versions of compiled code place data in differet locations.

Please also confirm which version of P3D this is with, and whether it happens without changes in P3D or other addone or sceneries.

I can't do anything about this at all without more information.

Pete