The simFlight Network Forums

New airfield created - causes Tower2011 to crash

gazzerd

Hello all you experts out there!

Here's my problem. Just spent a few days 'experimenting' creating my own simple airfield. All graphic files created ok, simple runway, taxiway objects created, and the menu data files.

When running I get an APPCRASH error. Below is the Windows error dump, followed by the game.log content. Anyone help me diagnose/solve this. BTW the standard and purchased airfields work fin, no crashes...

regards

Graham

Here's what Windows tells me:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: Tower.exe
  Application Version: 1.0.0.5
  Application Timestamp: 5076cfd4
  Fault Module Name: GLU32.dll
  Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385
  Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bd9df
  Exception Code: c0000005
  Exception Offset: 000070e5
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID: 2057
  Additional Information 1: 0a9e
  Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3: 0a9e
  Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Here's the game.log
-----------------------------------------------------
Program started at: 2015. 10. 7.  /  07:10:11
-----------------------------------------------------
settings mgr init
profile mgr init
menu_start
TGA mgr init
Init 3d win
WinVersion: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1, 64-bit
Tower! 2011            version: 4.777.955
init font
Init new menu
Init settings menu
Init Info menu
Init Exit menu
menu end
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* MENU CLOSED *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
menu destroyed
new game called
Gamewin created
SoundManager created
Camera created
Search Airplanes finished
Sun Initialized

Thanks for your response.

I was already thinking that the likely culprit for my error is obe or more of the RAW files.

However, I have a difficulty because the user guide is not very specific about the exact format the RAW file should take.

My understanding is that RAW is not a universal standard, it's a way if capturing binary encoded data but the internal format is only appropriate for a specific applucation/device.

Could you be more specific about the internal RAW format Tower expects?

A useful clue would be to tell me which application you would normally use to create your own RAW files and the settings you would use.

Many thanks

Regards

Graham

Thanks for your response.

I was already thinking that the likely culprit for my error is obe or more of the RAW files.

However, I have a difficulty because the user guide is not very specific about the exact format the RAW file should take.

My understanding is that RAW is not a universal standard, it's a way if capturing binary encoded data but the internal format is only appropriate for a specific applucation/device.

Could you be more specific about the internal RAW format Tower expects?

A useful clue would be to tell me which application you would normally use to create your own RAW files and the settings you would use.

Many thanks

Regards

Graham

Thanks for the diagnostic idea...I wad already thinking I would try that before you suggested it (great minds thinking alike eh?)

So, I did try it but still got the same problem. Can only conclude therefore that there is something wrong with one of the other graphic files (tga's) or some airfield editor setting (roads or objects) that is triggering the crash. It is the Glu32.DLL that's the faulting module...that's an OpenGL DLL so seems it is a graphics problem.

In going to try some windows dump/debug research to try to find which file is the culprit.

PS. I'm not a Photoshop user - I use GIMP and PAINT.NET for my graphic work.

Cheers

Graham

• 4 weeks later...

I too have an issue with an airfield build that causes a fatal error whilst loading.

I've built KSDF Louisville, and whilst I've had to fudge (copy) a few files, I've go it to the point where the airfield is recognised in the startup menu and once I've selected active runways and pressed start the fatal error occurs.  The error message is that  " I have no Approach lines found for selected runways!!  " .  in the editor, I have made sure I have inbound and outbound airways attached to all 6 runway vectors and these have a knot height of 3000ft at the extremity and are connected to the runways.  As far as I can see these mimic the same setup to the default and add on airports I have.

I have completed all 3 menu files, have the correct number of graphics files and the map file.  Can anyone help, with something I may have missed.

Unrelated:   I also have similar issues to Graham above.  There are very few graphics applications that actually produce RAW files.  I too use Gimp, and it is a bit frustrating having to manage the limitation of RAW.  I appreciate its not practical to modify Tower 2011 to accept another format, but seeing as you are talking about some of the new features for the 3d version of Tower, perhaps some consideration could be made to support a more distributed format.  Perhaps .TIF, assuming the graphics requirements remain similar, which of course they may not due to the 3d environment.  

Hi Aldo9550,

Looks like we are suffering from the same problem!

I gave up trying to use Gimp to create RAW files for Tower and signed up for a Photoshop trial (1 month) - am hoping I can do all the necessary work and get Tower working on my small test airfield in that time, but if not im happy to subscribe for a small monthly fee.

Ok, so I've now created all the graphic files and the menu files etc. and have got rid of my original crash problem. But now I'm getting the same error you are " no Approach lines found for selected runways!! ". I cannot work out what's wrong - I just don;t get it!

I do notice however that the 'knots' where airways should connect to runways do not go 'dark' like they do for taxiways connecting to runways - is that a clue for someone out there?

PS. I'd love to get Tower working and have some fun. But I am disappointed in the quality of the user guide for airfield construction. There are many errors - not least of which is that some of the standard file names mentioned in the user guide are not right - I had to figure out what was going on by inspecting other files for existing airfields.

Double check your incoming airways are centralised with the runway and slightly overlaping. I had this issue and remonving the airway and re-inserting it seemed to fix the issue.

Gareth

ps. There are no airway to runway nots, just your best allignment!

Hey mc16v, thanks, really useful.

I was already heading down that route and your response confirms my thinking.

This morning I did a bit of 'fault finding' by moving incoming airways slightly off runway alignment on the standard ST Thomas airfield and this generated the same error. Guess I'm going to pursue this tonight!

Grahsm

Thanks team, I have managed to resolve that obstacle atleast.  I rebuilt the airways, and noticed that for outgoing airways, even though they were flagged as outgoing or backward, the actual arrow direction on the airway was opposite, so it meant I needed to build them in the opposite direction physically, to that which I thought logical.  That probably sounds confusing, so the simple explanation is set incoming as

1. Airway Incoming

2. Direction is incoming or forward

3. physically place airway so the arrow direction is into the runway.

and outgoing as

1. Airway Outgoing

2. Direction is outgoing or backward

3. physically place airway so the arrow direction is away from the runway.

This all makes sense, but I agree with Graham in so much as the user manual is very limited, contains a number of errors and is often incomplete.  I'm not sure if a group exists amongst members to share their airfields, but I think it would be a great addition to the member area.  Perhaps someone at Feelthere could do some work on the Manual, or better yet, create a specific one for Airfield creation.

I've made a simple discovery, and a breakthrough!

Finally I got Tower to run on my trial simple new airfield without errors...hooray!

The discovery I made, an obvious one now, was that the name of a runway as entered into the airfield editor has to match that declared in the .map file. I feel really dumb now, of course this has to be the case otherwise how does Tower know which runway to 'invoke' at start up time.

To illustrate. Previously I might have called my runway "runway_20" in the airfield editor, with the .map file entry being called "20" - obviously this does not match!

So now I've got my airfield running I can improve the graphics which are not great - but that at least is fixable.

Many thanks again to all contributors.

Graham

• 2 years later...

Hi airfield managers! :)

I'm quite new here, and I have a problem with creating an airfield.
I think more or less I was following the guide how to create an airfield in the manual, but when I start the simulation it does not work.
I have created the TGA and the MenuData files.
I have added my airfield to airfields.txt.
In the editor when I would like to Add shdmap it reports this--> (This file size is invalid. Correct raw filesize is x*y*2 bytes! Check your coords or file.)
I did not figure out how to solve this, by the way I added RWYs, TWYs, Airways, Terminal in/out ways, taxicar, traffic, objects.

I did not pay attention to schedule and gaandlocaltraffic yet. 
Windows tells me:
XML Parsing error inside file './Airfields/myairfield.afx'.
Error: File not found
At line 0, column 0.

It would be very important to make it work. I am a real air traffic controller and we would like to use your program to teach newbies for some traffic situations. 
Thank you for your answer. 

Edited by LtYeTi