The simFlight Network Forums

Controller Order

Just wanted to say thanks for making good on the plan to have FSUIPC track controller changes. As some of you may know, Saitek controllers tend to misbehave on Windows 10; particularly if the are more than 1 of the same controller. In my case, I have 3 throttle quadrants. On startup, I occasionally lose 1 or more controllers. That requires running the driver installer to get the controllers back.

I decided to uninstall all of the throttles and manually point them to the inf file for the driver. I don't know if that will work. However, upon reinstalling the drivers, the throttle IDs in Windows changed. Changing the order using JoyIDs didn't work. There is a point to this post coming :)

I was afraid I would have to manually change my assignments in FSUIPC...arghhh. Guess what...when I opened Prepar3D, the assignments were still correct. That is so cool!!

Thanks for that.

If you use the FSUIPC4.ini entry below for the 'Letters' option there is no danger of the ID's changing. That is

the purpose of this option. Instead of the numbers, which are supplied to FSUIPC4 by Windows, FSUIPC4 will

use letters linked by the controller GUID, which will not change.

[JoyNames]
AutoAssignLetters=Yes

Paul

If you use the FSUIPC4.ini entry below for the 'Letters' option there is no danger of the ID's changing. That is

the purpose of this option. Instead of the numbers, which are supplied to FSUIPC4 by Windows, FSUIPC4 will

use letters linked by the controller GUID, which will not change.

[JoyNames]

AutoAssignLetters=Yes

Paul

Yeah, that's how I do it. However, until the latest version, I found that when I reinstalled my controllers, due to the useless Saitek drivers; I had to mess around getting FSUIPC controllers back in order. This is the first time I reinstalled drivers and didn't have to do some engineering in order to keep the controllers in line. Perhaps I was doing something wrong in the past, but the compliment still stands.

I am bumping my own topic as I need some help. As indicated above, the Saitek throttles drop out after restarting Windows. The only way to get them back is to reinstall the driver. This reorders the controllers in the OS. I had thought that FSUIPC reassigned the controller order to compensate. I may have been mistaken. I reinstalled the driver after a reboot and two of the throttle quadrants were reversed. No amount of tinkering with FSUIPC4.ini corrected the situation. I looked in the manual, but didn't find a solution. I'm sure it's there, but I'm probably too thick to get it.

I had AutoAssignLetters=Yes setup in the ini file. In my case, the 'G' controller got reversed with the 'F' controller.

Perhaps someone with more wherewithal than me can walk me through how to get the correct controllers reattached to the proper assignments. Assume you are addressing a 6 year old. In this case, that's where I'm at :) I would like to avoid having to go through reassigning all of my profiles if possible. However, if that is the only alternative, I would like to know this in order to avoid spinning my wheels any further.

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

I am bumping my own topic as I need some help. As indicated above, the Saitek throttles drop out after restarting Windows. The only way to get them back is to reinstall the driver. This reorders the controllers in the OS. I had thought that FSUIPC reassigned the controller order to compensate. I may have been mistaken. I reinstalled the driver after a reboot and two of the throttle quadrants were reversed. No amount of tinkering with FSUIPC4.ini corrected the situation. I looked in the manual, but didn't find a solution. I'm sure it's there, but I'm probably too thick to get it.

I had AutoAssignLetters=Yes setup in the ini file. In my case, the 'G' controller got reversed with the 'F' controller.

Perhaps someone with more wherewithal than me can walk me through how to get the correct controllers reattached to the proper assignments. Assume you are addressing a 6 year old. In this case, that's where I'm at :) I would like to avoid having to go through reassigning all of my profiles if possible. However, if that is the only alternative, I would like to know this in order to avoid spinning my wheels any further.

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

If the two throttle quadrants have the same name and same GUID then they are indistinguishable to FSUIPC.

If they still have different names or GUIDs and became swapped over, then somehow Windows re-assigned the GUIDs in a different order. Maybe, because they look identical in all ways detectable by reading the USB ports, when you reinstalled drivers and got them re-ordered, Windows assigned the GUIDs in a different order too.

I've no idea how you stop that happening apart from not disconnecting and reconnecting devices.

However, if they have different GUIDs listed in FSUIPC's INI file, then just swapping the letters around on both the name assignments and GUID assignments will  fix your current problem.

(BTW once you have letters assigned there's no need to have "AutoAssignLetters=Yes". That would autoassign when it sees new or changed assignments, which might possibly occur if you change drivers).

Pete

Thanks for that. Just to clarify, let's say I have two identical controllers. 1=A and 2=B. Each has a distinct GUID:

1=controller

1.GUID={123}

2=controller

2.GUID={234}

A=controller

A.GUID={123}

B=controller

B.GUID={234}

Say the controllers drop out and get reversed. I correct that by changing the letters on both pairs of lines?

Thanks again.

Thanks for that. Just to clarify, let's say I have two identical controllers. 1=A and 2=B. Each has a distinct GUID:

Say the controllers drop out and get reversed. I correct that by changing the letters on both pairs of lines? 

Yes. That's what I said.

The letters identify the controller used in your assignments. It is that simple.

Pete