The simFlight Network Forums

Holding Ctrl-F2 for 2 or 3 seconds / Warthog btn 28

Hi,

I want to program Ctrl-F2 to my button 28 of my Warthog throttle. (Button 28 is the idle detent position of the throttle)

In that way I can put the condition lever of the Q400 in the fuel/off position when I put the Warthog throttle in the idle detent.

I can program Ctrl-F2 to the button 28 in the usual way as written in the manual but I want CTRL-F2 be hold a little bit longer. For example 2 or 3 seconds otherwise the condition-levers are not reacting.

What is the best way to do that? I don't want Ctrl-F2 be hold for a long time so I didn't use the other option in FSUIPC.

Thanks in advance for any help.

//Arthur

By the way: I'm always using the latest stable version

I want to program Ctrl-F2 to my button 28 of my Warthog throttle. (Button 28 is the idle detent position of the throttle)

In that way I can put the condition lever of the Q400 in the fuel/off position when I put the Warthog throttle in the idle detent.

I can program Ctrl-F2 to the button 28 in the usual way as written in the manual but I want CTRL-F2 be hold a little bit longer. For example 2 or 3 seconds otherwise the condition-levers are not reacting.

What is the best way to do that? I don't want Ctrl-F2 be hold for a long time so I didn't use the other option in FSUIPC.

By the way: I'm always using the latest stable version

"Latest stable version"? Huh? Which versions are "unstable"? I do not support anything earlier than 4.949, so please make sure you are not using anything earlier.

What "other option in FSUIPC"?

Ctrl+F2 is a keypress which has a default assignment in FS to a control ("Prop pitch decr").  If you have to keep it pressed for 2-3 seconds then the action occurring is that the control is repeatedly sent at your standard keyboard repeat rate (20/sec?) for that time. Why on Earth do the aircraft need something like 60 decrements? 

Perhaps you need to instead consider sending "Prop pitch set" with a value or either 0 as parameter, or perhaps -16383. Alternatively try the "Prop pitch lo" control. That might actually do the same.

Pete

"Latest stable version"? Huh? Which versions are "unstable"? I do not support anything earlier than 4.949, so please make sure you are not using anything earlier.

Ctrl+F2 is a keypress which has a default assignment in FS to a control ("Prop pitch decr").  If you have to keep it pressed for 2-3 seconds then the action occurring is that the control is repeatedly sent at your standard keyboard repeat rate (20/sec?) for that time. Why on Earth do the aircraft need something like 60 decrements? 

Perhaps you need to instead consider sending "Prop pitch set" with a value or either 0 as parameter, or perhaps -16383. Alternatively try the "Prop pitch lo" control. That might actually do the same.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thank you for your reply.

I meant to say that I don't use a beta or alpha version. To be more precise: version 4.949

"Key press to repeat while held"

Ctrl+F2 is a key press which has a default assignment in FS to a control ("Prop pitch decr").  If you have to keep it pressed for 2-3 seconds then the action occurring is that the control is repeatedly sent at your standard keyboard repeat rate (20/sec?) for that time. Why on Earth do the aircraft need something like 60 decrements? 

I don't know. I did a lot of testing. First by pressing the keys on my keyboard. When I press CTRL + F2 the condition levers are not moving. When I press the keys and hold it a little bit longer then the condition levers move to the "fuel/ Off" position. I can imagine 2 reasons for that: 1. It is a bug made by Majestic  2. It is a extra safety.

Pressing accidently CTRL+F2 during a flight is not what you want to do I guess.

Thank you for the suggestions. When I select "Prop pitch lo" the conditioning lever is going fully forward. Strange, it should be going fully backwards then it should work. When I select "prop pitch hi" then nothing happens. Does it make sense to assign a value to the parameter? The idle detent of a warthog activates button 28.

So when you put the throttle all the way backwards then the value is -16384. There I can lift the throttle and but it into idle detent where button 28 in FSUIPC is activated.

Thanks again for any help.

Arthur

I meant to say that I don't use a beta or alpha version. To be more precise: version 4.949

Ctrl+F2 is a key press which has a default assignment in FS to a control ("Prop pitch decr").  If you have to keep it pressed for 2-3 seconds then the action occurring is that the control is repeatedly sent at your standard keyboard repeat rate (20/sec?) for that time. Why on Earth do the aircraft need something like 60 decrements? 

I don't know. I did a lot of testing. First by pressing the keys on my keyboard. When I press CTRL + F2 the condition levers are not moving. When I press the keys and hold it a little bit longer then the condition levers move to the "fuel/ Off" position. I can imagine 2 reasons for that: 1. It is a bug made by Majestic  2. It is a extra safety.

Pressing accidently CTRL+F2 during a flight is not what you want to do I guess.

Thank you for the suggestions. When I select "Prop pitch lo" the conditioning lever is going fully forward. Strange, it should be going fully backwards then it should work. When I select "prop pitch hi" then nothing happens. Does it make sense to assign a value to the parameter? The idle detent of a warthog activates button 28.

So when you put the throttle all the way backwards then the value is -16384. There I can lift the throttle and but it into idle detent where button 28 in FSUIPC is activated.

Thanks again for any help.

Arthur

Ah. "Alpha" and "Beta" versions aren't released in any case, only supplied to those who requested any new option or reported a bug which is fixed. Once that change is verified it is released. If the change justifies an Installer build (like something significant, or an FSX-SE or P3D update) then an Install package is released -- 4.949 is the most recent of those. Smaller updates with less general usage needs are supplied as replacement DLLs only. So 4.949c is a release, but without an installer. I call them "interim" versions.

Ah, I see. But you said "I don't want Ctrl-F2 be hold for a long time so I didn't use the other option in FSUIPC", but the repeat action would only occur whilst you held the button down. Are you saying you don't want to press it for 2-3 seconds?

No, I expect it is something as simple as the DECRement amount being so tiny you don't even notice on the graphic. If at normal repeat rate of 15-20 per sec it takes 2-3 seconds the difference between the axis values for "idle" and "fuel off" is about 50-70 such decrement values. Most such values in FS are 256, which out of a range of 32768 is 128 decrements from "max" to "min". I suspect the "idle" is at 0 and "off" is at -16383, giving your 64 decrements.

This is why, for an immediate off setting, you'd be better just using one of the other controls I mentioned.

So when you put the throttle all the way backwards then the value is -16384.

Strange that "lo" does the opposite of what it should do -- sounds like an odd implementation.  And no, none of those take a parameter (it is ignored).

I forgot to mention the other control which does set a value: Axis propeller set. Try that or Prop pitch set with a parameter of -16384.

Pete