The simFlight Network Forums
David Fairhurst

Heron's Nest Coastline problem with FYT Vector

Hello Bill,
When I have Heron's Nest running with FTX Vector, there's a problem with the coast line on the Northern end of the island to the West (Damariscove Island).
Vector reshapes the island and includes a wide rocky coastline. 
Heron's nest also reshapes part of the island adding it's own coast line.
The problem is that the water polygon that vector uses makes the island a little smaller and then pads it back out with its wide coast line.
The Heron's Nest coastline excludes the vector one, but is narrower and further out. This results in a line around the North part of the island (the Heron's Nest coast) enclosing a 'lake', that itself encloses the end of the island.

Is there a way to remove just this new coast line so that the vector one is displayed instead?

Thank you,
Dave.

P.S. Sorry about the topic title. FTX Global VECTOR obviously.

Edited by David Fairhurst

I think I've answered my own question.
Supressing CVX_Heron's_Nest.BGL removes the new coast lines (they're enhanced for the entire area) and reverts back to the Vector ones.
The vector coast lines don't have the higher contrast light (nearly white) coloured rock of the real islands though, but it's the lesser of two evils with Vector running I guess.

To add, Heron's Nest is wonderfully atomspheric. Thank you for another great piece of scenery.

Edited by David Fairhurst

David, thanks for the informative thread. Do you think it would be favorible to forward this to the FTX and Vector developers? How grave would you consider the issue?

Greetings,

Bermuda

Hi Bermuda,
I don't think it is an issue.
Vector's coastlines are pretty accurate.
Heron's nest's coastlines (and this includes a large area, not just Heron Island) are also pretty good. 
The two just don't play very well together. Slight differences tend to stand out.

For Damariscove Island (but you can see the same type of issue to a lesser extent else where), Vector's water mask shave's the island down and then builds it back up with a wide rocky vector coastline.
I'm thinking that Heron's Nest assumes that it is being applied over the default FSX coastline water mask for the area (which is a valid assumption in most cases), and adds it's own more detailed (and more accurately coloured) coastline over the top. This interferes with what Vector is doing and causes the anomaly I described in my first post.

So there's a slight visual incompatability between the two.
I wouldn't think FTX would readily make any changes to Vector to accomodate other individual sceneries and I don't expect Bill to have to make multiple versions of Heron's Nest to accomodate Vector (or any other Maine coastal scenery that might be lurking out there).
The easiest solution, if you are using Vector and this bothers you, appears to be to just remove CVX_Heron's_Nest.BGL. This then makes FTX Vector's coastlines take precendence, whilst not (as far as I can make out) spoilng Heron's Nest  in any other way. The point being that you still end up with improved coastlines (although I did think that Heron's Nest's white rock coast lines looked rather neat and more realistic from a distance).
Changing scenery order might be a different approach, but I didn't try that.

Dave

• Upvote 1

Alright, then at least it's clear how to fix it partially. I'm not into developing either, so I have no experience of how other sceneries solve the issue of Vector compatibility.

Having the more realistic white coastline would be wonderful, too. Maybe by chance Bill comes up with an idea to make this fab scenery compatible to Vector.

Thanks for the conversation and cheers!

Bermuda