The simFlight Network Forums
David Fairhurst

Siletz Bay Beacon light beam collision detection

Hi Bill, I hope this is the right place to put this topic.

I have the Siletz By scenery and it's really lovely, but unfortunately it appears that the light beam for the rotating beacon object has its crashbox turned on.
This means that from dusk until dawn this airport is unusable to me, since the light beam sweeps over the runway.
I do not want to have to turn crash detection off just because of this single object in all of my sceneries.

Is there anyway to get a fix for this problem, or have you any advice on how I can fix this myself?
I'd use Instant Scenery to turn the crash box off, but it appears that the beacon tower and its beam are dynamically placed (day/night) and it doesn't seeem to show up when I look for objects through Instant Scenery.
I think I could probably find a way to remove the night time version of the tower altogether, but the tower and light effect are so beautifully rendered that I'd be upset to lose them.

Thank you.

Dave.
(using FSX and Siletz bay version 1.05)

Dave,

I'm pretty sure there's a patch that fixes that, but Orbx is in charge of support for 7S3, Cushman, and Siletz Bay now. Check their forums for an update.

Thanks for the reply Bill and I understand the situation.

The Orbx forums suggest that it's been fixed, but I've just downloaded the latest Siletz Bay Version 1.05 from Flightsimstore and installed it, along with the latest Orbx libraries and it makes no difference. It's still broken for me.
They seem to have been confident it was fixed, so maybe they're broken it again with a library update, I don't know.

Certainly if you fly above the level of the beacon tower, then there is no crash, but I'm thinking it's not the actual light beam at all (I've noticed that it can sweep over the plane without effect).
If you crawl along the ground from North to South or South to North anywhere across the airfield (runway, grass, taxiway, parking area), the plane always crashes at a roughly East-West line that runs across the scenery and through the beacon tower. This is a very narrow line. Low and behold, when I look at the night time version of the rotating beacon model in modelConverterX, theres a long thin crashbox running out of either side of the tower for some distance.
This seems like the obvious culprit, so I don't undertand why this could still be broken after several years and multiple comments from Orbx customers.
It almost makes me think that I must be missing some other complicating factor.

I'll raise it again at Orbx.

Cheers,  Dave.

Thought I'd better return to provide a conclusion to this thread for the infomation of anyone who happens by it.
I was correct in my theory about the beacon crashbox and Orbx have now fixed the problem.
During my investigations I also discovered that effects files for the runway lights had become separated from the Siletz bay installation, so I had them fix those too (makes the lights much more visable).
The patch is delivered automatically though FTX Central 2 for anyone with Siletz Bay installed.
So these little niggles are now sorted and this scenery makes a nice little West coast stop off, day or night.