The simFlight Network Forums

Keypad for atc menu entries

I've done a quick search but can't see exactly my query.

I've found that, with other controllers available to me, I only use the keyboard to enter the numbers on the atc menu, as required, and not for anything else. The keyboard takes up too much space on my Flight Sim desk, so I have a separate keypad which I want to use instead. However I find that I can't get it to link the (number) keypresses to the relevant action. I am assuming the correct action is 'atc_menu_1' ,  et seq. Trying to link it to any key doesn't seem to work either, whether on keypad or keyboard. Only the numbers across the main keyboard will work on the atc menu. It's not possible doing it through the FSX settings, as that particular action (atc_menu_1, up to _9) isn't available. I've tried it through the main FSUIPC tab (Keys), as well as direct via FSUIPC4.ini

I have linked the 0 (or ins) key on the keypad to toggle the atc menu, so I know the keypad works OK.

Can you give me any leads here?  

Brian           

4 minutes ago, FlyingBee said:

The keyboard takes up too much space on my Flight Sim desk, so I have a separate keypad which I want to use instead. However I find that I can't get it to link the (number) keypresses to the relevant action. I am assuming the correct action is 'atc_menu_1' ,  et seq. Trying to link it to any key doesn't seem to work either, whether on keypad or keyboard. Only the numbers across the main keyboard will work on the atc menu.

It works fine here with the normal keyboard numpad keys assigned to those ATC_Menu controls. Have you checked that you have Num Lock set the same each time, as when you assigned? For instance, the 1 key is assigned as "Num1" when NumLock is engaged, but as "End" otherwise. If you want it to be independent of Num Lock you'd need to assign both the to same control.

Also, can you confirm that it is FSX or FSX-SE you are using? I think some versions of P3D are buggy with those controls and the SELECT_1 tc controls too, though the ATC ones definitely work in P3D3.3.5

Pete

(Replying to my own post!)  I have now found other posts on this topic, and have downloaded HIDMacros  -  recently renamed to LuaMacros. Anyway, it seems to work OK. I'm still not sure why it can't be done through FSUIPC, but it does seem to have some advantages - especially being able to confine the re-programming of keys to one device.

It's FSX-SE that I'm using, so maybe there's an issue there. Thanks for your suggestions, though. Yes, I was aware of the numlock issue, and as you suggest maybe best to program both the on & off to the same key.  My keypad has a quirky feature that the numlock light goes off after a while, though numlock isn't actually off  -  light comes on again when you hit a key. Saves battery, I suppose (it's wireless).

Brian

1 hour ago, FlyingBee said:

I'm still not sure why it can't be done through FSUIPC

Well, it can, as I've done it today both in FSX and P3D.

1 hour ago, FlyingBee said:

It's FSX-SE that I'm using, so maybe there's an issue there.

No,  I'm using FSX-SE too. I don't have FSX installed any more.

Pete