The simFlight Network Forums

Pop-up "2D panels?" disappear

This has probably been covered many times,  but my searches have not worked, so I apologize for asking a stupid question. I'm running FSX-SE and just added/registered FSUIPC V-4.955c. My first attempt at a profile was for the A2A piper cub. Now when I try to use the keyboard Shift-3-4-5 etc. keys to access A2A's pop-up views, they flash momentarily (once) then disappear. How do I get them back? Thanks! 

Additional information: I checked using the drop-down "views" list that the calls for the panel views were recognized and fsx believes that they are active.  However, FSUIPC has changed something so that they will not be displayed "on top".

Also, I now find that before I can finish taxiing, will go black and quickly "reload" scenery, etc. While this only takes a couple of seconds it is entirely unacceptable.  I haven't been able to get beyond the taxi stage to see if this also happens in flight, because... 

When it "reloads" it also alters the axis settings that I successfully set up in the profile!

So at this point FSUIPC has rendered my FSX-SE useless. Frustrated,  wondering if I want help, or just a refund.

Hi,

FSUIPC doesn't change anything in FS behaviour other than you ask it for. When you define/ program a FS function in FSUIPC you need to make sure first that that function is not defined in FS original maybe as well. The best way is always to define/ program any axis and buttons of a controller in FSUIPC or FS, a mixer of both gives always problems because one or the other is then by mistake double defined and so one can overwrite the other.

Your problem with the Panel view, Shift+1-2-3-..., sounds like that like FSUIPC opens it and a fraction later FS closes it because it is open (or vice versa, who ever is faster). To avoid this Controller should be disabled in FS so FSUIPC is the only one that uses them at the time.

Thomas

Thanks for the reply.  First, I tried, then deleted, programming the keyboard, so all keyboard commands should(?) go straight to FSX without alteration, or ovewrite by FSUIPC (and this seems to be the case).  Second, if I use the dropdown view choices from the top bar, those views are "checked", so FSX believes they are being displayed.  It's just that (apparently) the popup panels don't display over the top of the main virtual cockpit view, they are underneath it, and therefore hidden.  I can check and uncheck them, either with the keyboard or selecting them with a mouse click, and FSX is perfectly happy to accept the commands, but still nothing displays on the screen.  I can only conclude that somehow installing FSUIPC caused them not to display properly since they worked until the installation, and I've made no other changes to the computer, files, or settings.

I don't know if this is related to the other problem, that FSX decides it must regenerate/update scenery files in the midst of the simulation.  Again, never had that problem until I installed FSUIPC.  Finally, obviously I have no idea why that regeneration alters the FSUIPC profile!

BTW, I do have Controller disabled in FSX.

Edited by jhasmund
Additional comment

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I've been away for awhile so unable to pursue in a timely fashion.  Here is my FSUIPC4.ini file.  Incidentally, on a hunch I tried flying my A2A Comanche that also uses pop-up 2D windows as part of its "study aircraft" formulation.  Even though I never created a generic file or a panel for this aircraft, the pop-up windows for this aircraft also do not display on top of the virtual cockpit window.

[General]
UpdatedByVersion=4955c
History=VD4GKJ6L5EY4NFY30B4PL
InitDelayDevicesToo=No
Annotate=Yes
NewInterceptTextMenu=No
UseSystemTime=No
UseMidMouseBtn=Yes
MouseWheelMove=No
MouseWheelTrim=No
MouseWheelTrimSpeed=1
JoystickTimeout=20
PollGFTQ6=Yes
BlankDisplays=No
FixControlAccel=No
FixMachSpeedBug=No
NewDeleteVehiclesForAES=No
AutoScanDevices=Yes
AssignJoystickIDs=Yes
VisibilityOptions=No
OneCloudLayer=No
CloudTurbulence=No
CloudIcing=No
GenerateCirrus=No
SuppressCloudTurbulence=No
MaxIce=-4
MinIce=-4
UpperWindGusts=No
SuppressWindTurbulence=No
SuppressWindVariance=No
WindTurbulence=No
TurbulenceRate=1.0,5.0
TurbulenceDivisor=20,20,40,40
SuppressAllGusts=No
MaxSurfaceWind=0
WindLimitLevel=200
WindDiscardLevel=400
WindAjustAltitude=No
WindAjustAltitudeBy=2000
SmoothBySimTime=No
WindSmoothing=Yes
WindSmoothness=5
WindSmoothAirborneOnly=Yes
PressureSmoothness=0
TemperatureSmoothness=0
DisconnTrimForAP=No
ZeroElevForAPAlt=No
ThrottleSyncAll=No
WhiteMessages=No
ShowPMcontrols=No
SpoilerIncrement=512
MagicBattery=No
RudderSpikeRemoval=No
ElevatorSpikeRemoval=No
AileronSpikeRemoval=No
ReversedElevatorTrim=No
ClockSync=Yes
ClockSyncMins=5
ClearWeatherDynamics=No
OwnWeatherChanges=No
TimeForSelect=4
LoadFlightMenu=No
LoadPlanMenu=No
PauseAfterCrash=Yes
BrakeReleaseThreshold=75
SaveDataWithFlights=No
ZapSound=firework
ShortAircraftNameOk=Substring
UseProfiles=Yes
EnableMouseLook=No
DelayedMouseLookZoom=No
AxesWrongRange=No
TCASid=Flight
TCASrange=40
AxisCalibration=No
DirectAxesToCalibs=No
ShowMultilineWindow=No
SuppressSingleline=No
SuppressMultilineFS=No
AxisIntercepts=No
DontResetAxes=No
InitDelay=0
GetNearestAirports=No
LogOptionProtect=Yes
OOMcheck=Yes
OOMcheckInterval=10
WeatherReadFactor=2
WeatherRewriteSeconds=1
CustomWeatherModify=No
SimConnectStallTime=1
LuaRerunDelay=66
Console=No
FSVersionUsed="Microsoft Flight Simulator X",10.0.62615.0
SimConnectUsed=10.0.62615.0

[JoyNames]
AutoAssignLetters=No
0=Microsoft SideWinder Precision Pro (USB)
0.GUID={ACD13250-236C-11E6-8001-444553540000}
1=Pro Flight Cessna Trim Wheel
1.GUID={7DCB9440-236D-11E6-8003-444553540000}
2=Pro Flight Cessna Yoke
2.GUID={7391A0F0-236D-11E6-8002-444553540000}

[Axes]
PollInterval=10
RangeRepeatRate=10
0=0R,256,D,2,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Elevator }-

[Buttons]
PollInterval=25
ButtonRepeat=20,10
2=P2,3,K65,9     -{Key press: shft+A}-
5=P0,5,C65606,0     -{VIEW}-
6=R0,0,C65588,0     -{BRAKES}-
7=P0,8,C65571,0     -{ANTI_ICE_TOGGLE}-
8=P2,12,C65827,0     -{NEXT_VIEW}-
9=P2,11,C65828,0     -{PREV_VIEW}-

[AutoSave]
Next=1
Interval=60
Files=10
SaveOnGround=No
AutoSaveEnabled=No

[GPSout]
GPSoutEnabled=No
Port=COM1
Speed=4800
Interval=2000
PosTo6Decimal=No
SimModeIndicator=No
Sentences=

[GPSout2]
GPSoutEnabled=No
Port=<none set>
Speed=4800
Interval=2000
PosTo6Decimal=No
SimModeIndicator=No
Sentences=

[WideServer]
WideFSenabled=Yes

[Sounds]
Path=C:\$Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\Sound\
Device1=Primary Sound Driver
Device2=Speakers (3- Realtek High Definition Audio)
Device3=Realtek Digital Output (3- Realtek High Definition Audio)
Device4=Realtek Digital Output(Optical) (3- Realtek High Definition Audio)

[Profile.Joystick]
1=A2A Piper Cub

[Buttons.Joystick]
0=P0,1,C66654,0     -{VIEW_VIRTUAL_COCKPIT_FORWARD}-
19=P0,6,C65635,0     -{MAGNETO_INCR}-
20=P0,7,C65634,0     -{MAGNETO_DECR}-
21=P0,5,C66030,0     -{ANTI_ICE_OFF}-
23=P2,2,C66153,0     -{NEXT_SUB_VIEW}-
24=P2,3,C66154,0     -{PREV_SUB_VIEW}-
26=P0,4,C66029,0     -{ANTI_ICE_ON}-
27=P0,2,C66153,0     -{NEXT_SUB_VIEW}-
28=P0,3,C66154,0     -{PREV_SUB_VIEW}-
31=P2,12,C65827,0     -{NEXT_VIEW}-
32=P2,11,C65828,0     -{PREV_VIEW}-

[Axes.Joystick]
RangeRepeatRate=10
0=0X,256,D,1,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Aileron }-
1=0Y,256,D,2,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Elevator }-
2=0R,256,D,3,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Rudder }-
3=0P,0,F,66416,0,0,0    -{ TO SIM: PAN_VIEW }-
4=1X,256,F,65766,0,0,0    -{ TO SIM: AXIS_ELEV_TRIM_SET }-
5=2Y,256,F,65697,0,0,0    -{ TO SIM: THROTTLE_SET }-
6=2Z,1,D,4,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Throttle }-
7=2U,256,F,66387,0,0,0    -{ TO SIM: AXIS_LEFT_BRAKE_SET }-
8=2V,256,F,66388,0,0,0    -{ TO SIM: AXIS_RIGHT_BRAKE_SET }-

[JoystickCalibration.Joystick]
AllowSuppressForPFCquad=Yes
ExcludeThrottleSet=Yes
ExcludeMixtureSet=Yes
ExcludePropPitchSet=Yes
SepRevsJetsOnly=No
ApplyHeloTrim=No
UseAxisControlsForNRZ=No
FlapsSetControl=0
FlapDetents=No
ReverserControl=66292
Reverser1Control=66422
Reverser2Control=66425
Reverser3Control=66428
Reverser4Control=66431
MaxThrottleForReverser=256
AileronTrimControl=66731
RudderTrimControl=66732
CowlFlaps1Control=66162
CowlFlaps2Control=66163
CowlFlaps3Control=66164
CowlFlaps4Control=66165
SteeringTillerControl=0
MaxSteerSpeed=60
Aileron=-16380,-512,512,16380/8
SlopeAileron=2
Elevator=-16384,-512,512,16383/8
SlopeElevator=4
Rudder=-16380,0,512,16380/8
SlopeRudder=2
Throttle=-16380,16380
LeftBrake=-16384,16256
RightBrake=-16384,16256
Throttle1=-16380,-512,512,16380

When I "removed" FSUIPC4 temporarily, the problem did not go away, so I searched further.  Somehow in the installation of FSUIPC the transparency for 2D panels changed from 0% to 100%.  Once I put it back where it belonged, voila the panels were displayed!  I put the FSUIPC.dll file back, and at one test (did not fly) the transparency remained at 0%.

Nothing in the FSUIPC settings can ever have anything to do with windows belonging to other add-ons. In fact nothing in FSUIPc can possibly interfere with other add-ons which do not use FSUIPC in any case.

Additionally, there is no way that FSUIPC alters anything in your Profile without you actually changing it. FSUIPC is reactive, it does what it is requested to do, it doesn't go about mucking up peoples settings and displasys on its own volition, just for fun!

According to your FSUIPC4 settings you have no assignments to any keypresses at all in FSUIPC, so it isn't in any way even involved in your Shift+3,4,5 selections. But you do have a load of buttons assign to select different view controls:

23=P2,2,C66153,0     -{NEXT_SUB_VIEW}-
24=P2,3,C66154,0     -{PREV_SUB_VIEW}-
26=P0,4,C66029,0     -{ANTI_ICE_ON}-
27=P0,2,C66153,0     -{NEXT_SUB_VIEW}-
28=P0,3,C66154,0     -{PREV_SUB_VIEW}-
31=P2,12,C65827,0     -{NEXT_VIEW}-
32=P2,11,C65828,0     -{PREV_VIEW}-

Maybe one of those buttons is repeating or getting stuck on and interfering? If you are not flying the "A2A Piper Cub" you also have this assignment:

5=P0,5,C65606,0     -{VIEW}-

and this one:

2=P2,3,K65,9     -{Key press: shft+A}-

I've no idea what Shift+A is for.

I assume you only ever fly the A2A Piper Club, because the only axis assigned for other aircraft is:

0=0R,256,D,2,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Elevator }-

For the A2A Piper Club you have a throttle conflict in any case, with two axes assigned!

5=2Y,256,F,65697,0,0,0    -{ TO SIM: THROTTLE_SET }-
6=2Z,1,D,4,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Throttle }-

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve using FSUIPC, nor using one and only one Profile and virtually no other settings when the whole point of profiles is to allow different settings for different aircraft.

However, honestly, there's no way FSUIPC can be responsible for all the things you are accusing it of. I know it is the favourite resort of blame for all FS woes, but it really does not deserve it. It is a very mature product with many thousands of successful users. I think you need to investigate elsewhere.

Pete

15 minutes ago, jhasmund said:

When I "removed" FSUIPC4 temporarily, the problem did not go away, so I searched further.  Somehow in the installation of FSUIPC the transparency for 2D panels changed from 0% to 100%.  Once I put it back where it belonged, voila the panels were displayed!  I put the FSUIPC.dll file back, and at one test (did not fly) the transparency remained at 0%.

Okay. That's good.  Though FSUIPC installation cannot change such settings.

Your post crossed with my message above. Now maybe you need to investigate your other woes in a similar vein?

Pete

On 7/22/2016 at 10:28 AM, Thomas Richter said:

Hi,

FSUIPC doesn't change anything in FS behaviour other than you ask it for. When you define/ program a FS function in FSUIPC you need to make sure first that that function is not defined in FS original maybe as well. The best way is always to define/ program any axis and buttons of a controller in FSUIPC or FS, a mixer of both gives always problems because one or the other is then by mistake double defined and so one can overwrite the other.

Your problem with the Panel view, Shift+1-2-3-..., sounds like that like FSUIPC opens it and a fraction later FS closes it because it is open (or vice versa, who ever is faster). To avoid this Controller should be disabled in FS so FSUIPC is the only one that uses them at the time.

Thomas

Additional information: I checked using the drop-down "views" list that the calls for the panel views were recognized and fsx believes that they are active.  However, FSUIPC has changed something so that they will not be displayed "on top".

Also, I now find that before I can finish taxiing, will go black and quickly "reload" scenery, etc. While this only takes a couple of seconds it is entirely unacceptable.  I haven't been able to get beyond the taxi stage to see if this also happens in flight, because... 

When it "reloads" it also alters the axis settings that I successfully set up in the profile!

So at this point FSUIPC has rendered my FSX-SE useless. Frustrated,  wondering if I want help, or just a refund.

I only created one profile because after creating the first profile the aircraft no longer displayed properly.  I do not know why the 2D panel properties changed from 0% transparency to 100%. I only know that the panels displayed properly until I decided to Install FSUIPC in order to simplify switching between joystick controlled aircraft like the Piper Cub and yoke controlled aircraft. And the only change I made in FSX was to uncheck the controls box as directed. You say this cannot happen as a result of FSUIPC installation,  and yet somehow it did.

You are correct that I undoubtedly made some conflicting panel entries as I tried to get things to work properly. I will use your suggestions to clean things up, thanks. 

All of your symptoms point to some sort of serious corruption -- maybe of the actual FS installation, or more likely memory.

The only activity that FSUIPC indulges in with is not user instigated is requesting data continuously from SimConnect. One area of this data is the Weather. SimConnect gets the weather from the .WX files in your FS Files folder in your documents folders, and relates this to the weather station positions provided in the wxstationlist.bin file -- found in your AppData FS folder, where the FS CFG file is found.

Both the WX files and the wxstationlist.bin files are in binary, and are completely unchecked by SimConnect -- a big mistake on FS's designers part. Any corruption in either of those can cause subsequent problems in FS. The only reason this might happen more with FSUIPC installed is that in order to service its client applications, FSUIPC requests weather data from SimConnect, and this is done on a regular basis. This is not new -- FSUIPC4 has always done this.

Corruption in those files most often leads to a crash or hang soon after FS starts, when the weather is first being read, but sometimes it only happens in certain scenery areas, because of localised corruption in the file(s). And because the corruption wreaked will vary from system to system, really the results are unpredictable. I've never before seen any symptoms mentioned like the ones you are reporting, but at present I can see no other possibility excepting corruption in a variey of FS modules themselves.

You can check whether the problems are due to weather file corruption by preventing FSUIPC reading the weather altogether. In the latest interim update, 4.955g, you can add the line

NoWeatherAtAll=Yes

to the [General] section of the INI file. This will remove all weather facilities completely from FSUIPC. You'll find 4.955g available in the Download Links subforum.

If this helps, then you most certainly either have a file corruption in those data files, or the WEATHER and SIMCONNECT parts of the FS installation is corrupted. The former is easy to fix -- just delete all .WX files and the WXstationlist.bin file. The latter will be regenerated afresh by FS, and new WX files will be made when you save flights.

I only know of one user who had such weather problems and needed to reinstall FS to fix it, so that's a final possibility.

Pete