The simFlight Network Forums

Configuring the ND BK-117

G'day Pete and/or Pro Simmers,

I'm having a bit of a problem with the audio panel in the NemethDesigns payware BK-117 flight model. It seems they've gone out if their way to make it, basically, not compatible with anything conventional. I need the flight model for a hardware simulator, half-complete for a rescue organisation. I'm using a mix of Elite hardware and Leo Bodnar USB boards. 

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to interface with the audio panel (let's say ADF IDENT, for now) in a meaningful way. Using FSUIPC to configure buttons, the best I coulD achieve this far is to get the graphical button to flicker on, then immediately off. When the log is running, the inputs indicated are RADIO ADF IDENT ENABLE and DISABLE. I Tried that, and it worked initially but not staying on. I changed it up by adding the "when released) portion to disable. Now, the button stays engaged as long as the physical button is being held, but nothing to keep it held. 

I restarted, and lost even that functionality. Now, the button needed to be configured for the FS command, "RADIO ADF IDENT TOGGLE," but still, it's not persistant and will only flicker on, then off. Now, I'm unable to keep it on by keeping the physical button pushed.

I attempted a mouse macro as well, but alas, nothing is picked up by FSUIPC.

Is there any hope here? I'm not in the slightest a programming type, but I'll learn as I need to.

Cheers, Dave

45 minutes ago, DaveSimBuildGuy said:

I cannot figure out how to interface with the audio panel (let's say ADF IDENT, for now) in a meaningful way.

There are 4 ADF ident controls, none called "ADF IDENT" ithout qualification.:

RADIO_ADF_IDENT_DISABLE
RADIO_ADF_IDENT_ENABLE
RADIO_ADF_IDENT_SET
RADIO_ADF_IDENT_TOGGLE

These are all for ADF1. If you have an ADF2 there are 4 more.

So, perhaps you are using the wrong one?

When the log is running, the inputs indicated are RADIO ADF IDENT ENABLE and DISABLE. I Tried that, and it worked initially but not staying on. I changed it up by adding the "when released) portion to disable.

If you have got two controls being sent, then either it is because you assigned both, or because something else in the Aircraft code is sending the other.

If the former, I don't understand. Why did you program the release if you are only using a button? If you use the TOGGLE control instead, only on the Press, then it will switch it on with one press and off with the next.

I restarted, and lost even that functionality.

How do you mean? FSUIPC doesn't "lose" assignments They are stored in your FSUIPC4.INI file and will only be changed if you change them.

Now, the button needed to be configured for the FS command, "RADIO ADF IDENT TOGGLE," but still, it's not persistant and will only flicker on, then off.

Are you assigning to both press and release? Don't, not for a button. If you are not, then it's some behaviour of the aircraft you are using. I can't control that. Please try making your assignments with a default aircraft. Get them working there. Then, when you try the add-on, if it still doesn't work correctly, contact their support.

Pete

Thanks for getting back to me, Pete. I should've been more clear. I programmed the release into it simply as an experiment. I tried about every combination I could come up with using every command with "ADF" in it, particularly those with "RADIO ADF IDENT" in them. My suspicion is that the software designer used some kind of roundabout method to make the audio panel and other functions work. FSUIPC does seem to have some limited influence of the functions, but I can't seem to get beyond what I described in my original post. 

Cheers, Dave. 

I can bet that they are using L:Vars with logic to control the audio panel. ex. ( the L:Var "(L:ADF_IDENT, bool)" is just made up as an example )

(L:ADF_IDENT, bool) (A:ADF IDENT, bool) != if{ (>K:RADIO_ADF_IDENT_TOGGLE) }

Or even worse, code similar to this which would cause "command flooding"

(L:ADF_IDENT, bool) if{ (>K:RADIO_ADF_IDENT_ENABLE) } els{ (>K:RADIO_ADF_IDENT_DISABLE) }

You're going to want to "see" what's going on by using ( at the same time) the facilities in FSUIPC to monitor L:Vars and the commands sent to the sim to figure this out. 
For commands use - FSUIPC | Logging Tab | "Events (non-axis controls)" | "Send to console window"
For L:Vars use (for ease) - 

Using these will sort out what is going on. If my suspicions are correct you will need to use LUA to interface in the long run. Wish I could help more but I do not own the BK-117.

EDIT - If the gauges are the XML/.CAB style, you could also go through the code to see what they're doing. If it's a .GAU/.DLL you may be out of luck dealing with possibly poor programming. (Seen it before, the ABC F-8F Bearcat has this problem, of all things -- ADF Ident too!) The last resort may be to use the original artwork and then recode properly.  

Edited by spokes2112
Added gauge reference