The simFlight Network Forums

P3D v3.3.5 crash

It looks like the usual Weather corruption problem., but I really do need the Windows crash data you referred to here

2 hours ago, cellular55 said:

with the message that it was caused by FSUIPC

That message should not only contain the module name but also the error code and the location! Essential information!

Just guessing as a consequence of missing information, but it is most likely a crash caused by memory corruption caused by by pointers or size values in data. Unfortunately the WX weather data files are not checked by FS when loaded.

Of course, it could also be a corruption in one of the BGL's or textures loading for that scenery. To distinguish between Weather corruption and Scenery corruption you can stop FSUIPC reading the weather by using:

WeatherReadFactor=0

which you will find, to change, in the [General] section of the FSUIPC4.INI file, in the FS Modules folder. Or,you can add

NoWeatherAtAll=Yes

tp the [General] section to stop FSUIPC having anything whatsoever to do with t.

The only way then to correct the issue is to delete the weather files (.WX) from your Flight Simulator X Files folder in your Documents, and the wxstationlist.bin from the same folder as the FSX.CFG file. The WX files are simply where FS saves the current weather with its Flights, and the WXstationList.bin file will be rebuilt on the next P3D load.

If the results are different between P3D 3.3 and 3.4 as you say, please show logs and crash data for both.

Pete

32 minutes ago, Daveo said:

I was getting constant crashes also with 4.957 and 3.4.

Setting WeatherReadFactor=0 helped.

You need to delete you XX files and the wxstationlist.bin. One of them has become corrupted.

when you report crashes I always need to see both the FSUIPC4.LOG file AND the Windows crash data -- but only when using the latest version of FSUIPC (yes, 4,957 at present).

Pete

Hi Pete - I have a similar problem - but the culprit in my case appears to be the "FixControlAccel=Yes" setting.

I had repeated crashes with 4.57 (I skipped 4.56) but put that down to maybe a corrupt (or out of date) fsuipc.ini. I thought I had it all fixed after rebuilding the ini from scratch (using 4.57). Even the "FixControlAccel=Yes" setting appeared to be OK. However - returning to P3D at some stage later I had the same crash. Setting "FixControlAccel=No" fixed it.

I'm not at my sim PC at the moment, but will post the log here later, if it helps.

Adam.

EDIT: Here are the two logs (successful and crash):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vme4wb2vhflrxv8/fsuipc_crashlog.zip?dl=0

10 hours ago, Adamski said:

Hi Pete - I have a similar problem - but the culprit in my case appears to be the "FixControlAccel=Yes" setting.

Strange. That does virtually nothing, just changes a timer, and it hasn't changed over several P3D versions.

10 hours ago, Adamski said:

EDIT: Here are the two logs (successful and crash):

Thanks. I'll take a look now.

Pete

Right. I think your diagnosis is maybe mistaken, but understandably. I believe you are treating a symptom not a cause. I don't think you are fixing anything, just maybe avoiding it, or delaying it.

I've done some rigorous testing of the FixControlAcceleration option here, with P3D 3.4, and as far as I can see the crash is occurring because part of the memory in which FSUIPC stores data, like the address in memory of the control acceleration timer, is getting corrupted. I suspect other nearby values are getting corrupted too, but these have no overt symptoms (as yet).

Can you please re-enable the FixControlAcceleration option with this interim update: FSUIPC4957a.zip (just copy the DLL into the Modules folder). If I am right, there will be a log entry instead of a crash saying:

### ERROR! Control Timer Memory point is corrupted! Should be XXXXXXXX but now YYYYYYYY

If this does occur with no crash, then please follow my recommendations above for checking with and dealing with Weather corruption problems.  (FSUIPC will restore the correct pointer value after the log entry and will hopefully continue as normal).

This sort of misleading symptom is quite frequent when there's memory corruption. The symptoms can vary a lot, and in fact sometimes there aren't any, at least not via a crash. I've know weather corruption to make a crash only in certain parts of the World, or only when changing aircraft. The possible symptoms are as endless as there are memory locations to be trodden on.

Thanks,

Pete

Pete - here's the debrief (!):

1) Copied over the new 4957a DLL (thanks). No "Control Timer" log entries in any of the logs (unless I'm blind!).

2) Reinstated the FixControlAcceleration option (set to yes). Instant crash (twice).

3) Deleted the wxstationlist.bin file (though didn't delete all my .WX files as they related to themes. But will try deleting all those later (if all else fails).

4) Wondered whether my OPUS auto-start was maybe kicking things off too early, so commented out the entry from [Programs] - and started OPUS FSI manually a short while after entering the aircraft. Result: P3D crash instantly on OPUS load.

5) Tried the same again - but waited longer before starting OPUS - and reinstated the wxstationlist.bin file. Worked fine.

6) As 5) - but deleted the wxstationlist.bin file. Instant crash on aircraft load. Didn't even get a chance to load up OPUS.

7) Added WeatherReadFactor=0 and NoWeatherAtAll=Yes in FSUIPC.ini. Deleted wxstationlist.bin - crash - same as before.

8) Same test as 7) but managed to get into the aircraft and could enter the FSUIP GUI. Crash on OPUS FSI start up.

9) As 8) but with wxstationlist.bin reinstated. Crash after a minute or so (still no OPUS loaded).

10) As 9) but with the.wx file for my default start deleted. Crash when going to outside view (still no OPUS loaded).

11) In desperation - set FixControlAccel=No. Sod's law - everything works fine.

I also use OPUS for all my camera views/controls. Could that have anything to do with it? See [10].

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eqzdbx9974b4aja/fsuipc_crashlog2_adam.zip?dl=0

Do you want any Windows error reports?

Anything else I can do, Sir? ;-)

Adam.

48 minutes ago, Adamski said:

No "Control Timer" log entries in any of the logs (unless I'm blind!).

Hmm. Strange. The pointer is definitely wrong. I can only think it starts off incorrectly and then doesn't get trampled on further. I'll think further on how to narrow it down. Maybe another interim update.

Thanks for all that testing, but from my perspective you only needed to show it still crashed with those WX changes. Seems it isn't releated to WX corruption after all, so it is still a bit mysterious at present.

51 minutes ago, Adamski said:

didn't delete all my .WX files as they related to themes.

You can just move them out of the Documents folder to test.

43 minutes ago, Adamski said:

Do you want any Windows error reports?

Are they all the same as the original one? If not then, yes please. At least each different one.

I'll get back to you.

Pete

There is one other quick check you could do, please.

Enable event logging. Do this by adding "LogEvents=Yes" to the [General] section of the INI file (to save loading FS, changing the logging option, and restarting it).

Try both with the FixControlAcceleration off and on -- I'd like to compare the two resulting logs, please.

Some non-axis events are evidently occurring immediately you start FS, because the place where it crashes if in that path, checking arriving non-axis events. Normally you'd get no such events until you operated a switch or keypress. I think some add-on aircraft send their own events, but you appear to be loading default aircraft. In fact one thing is a little odd there:

17722 C:\Users\Adam\Documents\Prepar3D v3 Files\Baron B58 NZAR Default Start.fxml
    17722 H:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3Dv3\SimObjects\Airplanes\beech_baron_58\Beech_Baron_58.air

Your default loading loads the Baron, but then, a minute or so later:

83757 H:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3Dv3\SimObjects\Airplanes\A2A_T6_Texan\t6.air

So it isn't crashing immediately? You are going into the menu?

This also suggests another test -- elminate any possibility that corruption in the loaded Flight file is doing it. Can you make the default something other than Baron B58 NZAR Default Start.fxml, or perhaps even temporarily rename it so it doesn't load?

Thanks,

Pete

My P3D always starts up with the aircraft selection menu (whatever it's called). I have the Baron as my default starting aircraft. In many of the tests, I hit the "OK" button without making any further selection. At other times (wondering whether it was perhaps aircraft related) I'd select a different aircraft and then launch. Sorry if I'm a bit unclear: by "immediately" I meant "immediately after clicking the launch aircraft button". I need to be a bit more precise!

I'll set the default start to the generic P3D F-22 Raptor at its default start position next time - or just rename the file as you suggest - which will force P3D to load its basic default, will it not?

I'll do the log setting and also move the wx files out of the way somewhere (it's what I meant by "delete" anyway)!

Too late tonight - I'll have another play tomorrow - and check out the Windows error log in case there's anything new there.

FSUIPC has been working like a dream until this latest P3D 3.4.9 update. I'm dead keen to help find out what the problem is. At least I can always switch the FixControlAcceleration setting back to "No" when I fancy some light relief!

Adam.

29 minutes ago, andyjo said:

Hi Pete - I have followed this tread and tried version 7a. I can only get P3d to load with weatherReadFactor=0 AND Fix Control acceleration=NO. The Windows Log for the crashes no longer blames FSUIPC but P3d weather.dll. If I disable FSUIPC I have no problems.

Windows Log.txt

The Weather crash is certainly not FSUIPC -- it is only happening when FSUIPC is present because it still causes SimConnect to read the weather. To stop that entirely you'd need to set "NoWeatherAtAll=Yes".

Have you tried deleting the wxstationlist.bin and the .WX files? That's fixed such problems in the past.

I'm hot on the trail of the FixControlAcceleration problem, which is more complicated. I've definitely concluded that it isn't at all realted to Weather. I hope to have it fixed today -- a version 4.957b or c.

Pete

19 minutes ago, Adamski said:

FSUIPC has been working like a dream until this latest P3D 3.4.9 update. I'm dead keen to help find out what the problem is. At least I can always switch the FixControlAcceleration setting back to "No" when I fancy some light relief!

Further to my last test suggestions, before doing any of that, please ty FSUIPC4957b.zip. I've made some small changes to the way the FixControlAcceleration option works which I hope is more, er, secure!

If that version proves okay, as I hope, I'll make it the current Release.

Pete

14 minutes ago, andyjo said:

I have deleted wxstations and all .wx files and still get the crash. I will be patient and wait for b or c. Thank you for all the work you do!

I don't think b or c will fix any crash in Weather. I really can't deal with the other modules of P3D. If you have set "NoWeatherAtAll=Yes" then FSUIPC isn't going anywhere near that module in any case. 

So, there's no point in waiting. If you still get weather crashes now then you have some other corruption or problem in P3D I'm afraid.

Pete

7 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

Further to my last test suggestions, before doing any of that, please ty FSUIPC4957b.zip. I've made some small changes to the way the FixControlAcceleration option works which I hope is more, er, secure!

If that version proves okay, as I hope, I'll make it the current Release.

Great news, Pete! That appears to have nailed it! I did nothing part from doing the log change. I copied over the new 4957b DLL and set FixControlAcceleration to "Yes". My FSUIPC weather options are still set to off (or disabled) but that's OK - I never fiddle with weather related stuff in FSUIPC anyway.

I've made a few flights - using default or complex add-on aircraft with no problems. OPUS weather and Live Camera are behaving normally.

Do you still want/need any logs from me?

Many thanks,

Adam