The simFlight Network Forums

QW757 VNAV overspeed

Hey Pete, I have a QW757 (Quality Wings) and we can't get the VNAV to work properly.  I do not have the registered pay version of FSUIPC, but I reinstalled the latest version.    

Basically, when in climb mode, the VNAV will overspeed past the speed constraints in the FMC.  Like way past the assigned speed.  This consistently occurs as it's leveling off at an assigned altitude.  It's strange what happens.  As the plane levels off, the throttle levers initially starts to reduce for just a second, but then snaps back up.  Then it does it again and again, down lightly and then the throttle snaps back up.  With the throttle levers remaining up like this, the plane accelerates way past the assigned speed.  The throttle levers will only stop this snapping back up when the plane gets to withing about 100 feet of the assigned altitude, but by then it's already severely overspeeding.  Let me note that this problem exists both on my desktop and laptop, using two totally different joysticks.  

The reason I'm asking you is that one of the developers at Quality Wings seems to think it's an FSUIPC issue.  He says that he thinks it may have to do with throttle locking and that FSUIPC is required for throttle locking.  Today he said that "I'm thinking the throttles are not unlocking for some reason (ie via  FSUIPC).   But if that is the case, it does not explain why they unlock for most users.   Or why they then unlock upon reaching the target altitude."  So he thinks it's an FSUIPC issue.

Here is a video I made showing and explaining what is happening.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5fYFR4DM1Q  Note in the video the throttle levers appearing to try slow, yet they snap back up to about full range.  They repeat and repeat and repeat this until about within 90-100 ft from the assigned altitude.   

Here is a link to the Quality Wings support forum if you want to see more videos and what the support guys are saying.  

Any information would be great....I really want to get this fixed.  Everything else works quite well on the A/C, just the VNAV overpseeds like a maniac cause the throttle levers don't want to seem to retard.  

1 hour ago, foxfan911 said:

The reason I'm asking you is that one of the developers at Quality Wings seems to think it's an FSUIPC issue.  He says that he thinks it may have to do with throttle locking and that FSUIPC is required for throttle locking.

FSUIPC does nothing with axes if it unregistered. It only acts as an interface for application programs which want to read or write FS data. And I've really no idea what is meant by "throttle locking". Why would anything want to lock throttles? Makes no sense at all.

I very much doubt that this add-on aircraft uses FSUIPC, but if it does it is really up to the author to work out what he's doing wrong. Didn't you point out to him that you were't using FSUIPC, that it isn't even registered?

Prove it to yourself by removing FSUIPC from the Modules folder and seeing if the same thing happens..

BTW, why have you installed FSUIPC if you don't use it? What programs are you using which need it?

Pete

Well, I know for sure that FSUICP is used with the payware plane because it stated it in the manual and said that for some things to work, it was required.  It also was installed along with the a/c and exists under the add-ons drop down menu.  So I think he means to be saying that they are using some or all of it to to interface their a/c with FSX.  

When he said throttle locking, I think he was saying that the autothrottle would not reduce thru FSUIPC.  Is autothrottle controlled by FSUIPC?  

I'm using the unregistered FSUIPC, whatever came with their aircraft.  

I installed it because Quality Wings said it was mandatory to make the  757 function properly.  It says in their documentation that FSUIPC is required, and that the unregistered version is provided.  The only thing I have been flying for some time now is the QW757, which they said FSUIPC was required.  

What I have says FSUIPC Version 4.948, 2nd November 2015.  This copy is unregistered.  It will not provide full functionality.  

Chris

6 hours ago, foxfan911 said:

Well, I know for sure that FSUICP is used with the payware plane because it stated it in the manual and said that for some things to work, it was required.  It also was installed along with the a/c and exists under the add-ons drop down menu.  So I think he means to be saying that they are using some or all of it to to interface their a/c with FSX.

Okay. So in that case they must be operating this "throttle lock", whatever it is. Perhaps they could explain exactly what they are doing and what they think is going wrong?

When he said throttle locking, I think he was saying that the autothrottle would not reduce thru FSUIPC.  Is autothrottle controlled by FSUIPC?

No. You can send the control to FS for A/T on or off through FSUIPC, but it would be silly to do that from a aircraft insde FS when it can do it in any case, just as with A/T switch in any aircraft does. FS operates the A/T, just as it does the A/P.

In some very sophisticated aircraft, both A/T and A/P might be completely or partially controlled by code the aircraft adds -- they do this when the makers aren't happy about the way FS's own code behaves. PMDG's 737NGX and 777X are like this, as, I think, the later Aerosoft Airbus and the FSL Concorde and Airbus do.

Whatever it does, the control is not in FSUIPC -- FSUIPC just does what it is asked. If they think that's going wrong, they need to say what they are doing and what is going wrong with it.

What I have says FSUIPC Version 4.948, 2nd November 2015.

Well, I can't support old versions in any case. You need to update. The current version is 4.957c. 

What version of FSX or P3D are you using?

Pete