Jump to content
The simFlight Network Forums
Iceking007

What does Widefs do?

Recommended Posts

Hello,

I tried searching for this information but couldn't get my query resolved.  I understand it connects networked computers for flight simulation, but beyond that I'm looking for information.

1) I suppose at this moment I'm interested in using multiple computers to share the burden for displaying gauges (additional monitors, USB interfacing, and hardware -gps- panels etc.) I'm not looking for window views or high resolution, does Widefs accomplish this?

2) In order to accomplish this is a registered version required (what is the difference between free/licenced version - limited computers - limited functionality - limited customizing)?

3) Does Widefs allow "out the window" views or is that WideViewWide view (what's the difference, I know they are 'competitors')?

4 a) Do you need fs installed on all systems for ALL circumstances (ie just to run a USB yoke or something simple)?

4 b) How do you run multiple copies of fs if you only have one software disk?

 

Thank you, currently running fs9.1 win XP, will be buying an FSUIPC licence (been using the freeware for years).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Iceking007 said:

1) I suppose at this moment I'm interested in using multiple computers to share the burden for displaying gauges (additional monitors, USB interfacing, and hardware -gps- panels etc.) I'm not looking for window views or high resolution, does Widefs accomplish this?

No, WideFS is an network extension to the FSUIPC application interface. So PCs running WideFS (WideClient locally) will run applications which need FSUIPC will run just as if FS is running on the same PC.

for bits of FS over a network you need WidevieW by Luciano Napolitano. Whether it does gauges or not these days I don't know. Mostly it is used for wide, er, views -- i.e the scenery spread out all round you.

1 hour ago, Iceking007 said:

2) In order to accomplish this is a registered version required (what is the difference between free/licenced version - limited computers - limited functionality - limited customizing)?

There's no "free" version of WideFS.

I think your other questions are made redundant by the first two answers.

Pete

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay so if I wanted to use Reality XP GPS software with the ruscool hardware panel and put this on another computer then I would use Widefs or Wideview?

The demo version (unregistered) is the free version I was referring to, like my fsuipc is unregistered but it works for me right now, but that will change with the above.

For clarification could you provide a practical reason why you need to use widefs?

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Iceking007 said:

Okay so if I wanted to use Reality XP GPS software with the ruscool hardware panel and put this on another computer then I would use Widefs or Wideview?

I don't think any Reality XP product uses FSUIPC, so not WideFS. Whether it would be okay with WidevieW I've no idea. Maybe you should ask Reality XP or the WidevieW support.

2 hours ago, Iceking007 said:

The demo version (unregistered) is the free version I was referring to,

There's no demo version, free or otherwise, for WideFS.

2 hours ago, Iceking007 said:

like my fsuipc is unregistered but it works for me right now

An unregistered FSUIPC still provides the full interface for applications. That's the original part of FSUIPC and it has always been free for end users (since FS98). The registration enables the user facilities. WideFS is a different registration code.

2 hours ago, Iceking007 said:

For clarification could you provide a practical reason why you need to use widefs?

There's never a "need" for WideFS. It us a user's choice. But it is only any use with FSUIPC applications such as Radar Contact, Project Magenta, and older versions of Active Sky before it chnaged ot SimConnect.

If you don't know if you can use it you probably can't. It tends to be used by cockpit builders. My own cockpit uses 7 networked PCs, all linked by WideFS to make all the displays and lights and switches work.

Pete

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well ruscool says I need a registered version of FSUIPC, I would like to run their GPS panel on another computer so I suppose I'll need the Widefs.

 

(Sorry about the confusion, I was under the impression that fsuipc and widefs had the same registration and license usage; I have downloaded the widefs application already but I guess if I go to install it won't work without registration, unlike fsuipc.)

I'll buy both then just in case... I'll probably need it 6 months from now lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Iceking007 said:

I would like to run their GPS panel on another computer so I suppose I'll need the Widefs.

So this GPS panel uses the FSUIPC interface, it isn't another FS gauge like most? I'd check that again if I were you. I thought Reality XP made their own interfaces into FS.

Pete

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×