The simFlight Network Forums

Extracting Data

Hi all,

Its fair to say, that I am useless at coding. So I'm coming here for some help. I would like to be able to extract my Airspeed, Altitude, Heading and vertical speed, in such a way that I can put it onto my live stream. Kinda like the attached photo. Click Here. If anyone is able to help, I would be extremely grateful! Thank you in advance!

I wouldn't even no how to do "live streaming" -- so how do you do that without "code"?

Depending on how you plan to get the data out of the FS process, you might be able to use a simple Lua plug-in. The are examples provided in your FSUIPC Documents folder. Look, for instance, at the one that records that sort of stuff at regular intervals to a CSV file.

Pete

1 hour ago, SmithyFlyer said:

I have had a quick poke around in the "FSUIPC Documents Foler" but was scared off. I have no idea where to start with activating the code etc. 

Lua plug-in examples are in a ZIP file there clearly named! The one which records to a CSV file is also clearly named inside of it. Please just look!

Pete

8 hours ago, SmithyFlyer said:

Do you know how I can get it to be a .txt file?

Either rename it as a txt file, or simply right click and select Open With ...,  or actually drag it directly into an editor. I have my default text editor (UltraEdit) set csv files as one of the types it loads by double clicking, and I would have to Open With excel if I wanted to see it there.

If you want the Lua plug-in to save it as a .txt file just edit the Lua file accordingly, replacing "csv" by "txt". Lua files are text files as well (unless they are compiled -- but none of those provided as examples are).

Pete

Ok, i have an update... I have managed to get it into a text file. But when i open the file, only the headings appear, with no information, such as the heading or speed. It simply says "heading" but does not state what the heading actually is. Furthermore, I do bit know how often it updates the information as every time i reclick the .Lua file it just makes a New line in the document. I have also looked at the "display values" lua file. But i do not understand how it outputs the data. As from what i can make out it says "display in fs window" but i have searched flight Simulator from top to bottom with no mentiton of the "display values" window.

Thanks for your help so far,

Smithy flyer

1 hour ago, SmithyFlyer said:

Ok, i have an update... I have managed to get it into a text file. But when i open the file, only the headings appear, with no information, such as the heading or speed. It simply says "heading" but does not state what the heading actually is. Furthermore, I do bit know how often it updates the information as every time i reclick the .Lua file it just makes a New line in the document.

Er, sorry. What are you "clicking"? The Lua is a plug-in for FSUIPC. You have to place it into the Modules folder and get FSUIPC to run it. There are several documented ways of doing that. Haven't you read any documentation for FSUIPC or Lua yet? This Forum is not the right way to begin if not.

Three ways are:

1. Create a file "ipcReady.lua" in the Modules folder containing just the line
ipc.runlua(("name of lua file")

2. Add an [Auto] section to the FSUIPC4.INI file containing just
Lua name of lua file

3. Assign the Lua to a button or keypress in FSUIPC, using the Lua name of lua file control in the dropdown list.
In this case only use it ONCE per session, else it will just kill the previous incarnation and start again.

Pete

6 hours ago, SmithyFlyer said:

Nope you've lost me :/ I really didn't think it would be this hard to get the speed of my aircraft into a text document that updates every second or so...

It isn't. It is very easy. Many many users are using Lua plug-ins all the time and don't have problems, and they are not programmers. Which part don't you understand? Have you read anything at all yet?  It would be by far the quickest way.

And you didn't even answer my question """""

12 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

What are you "clicking"?

Pete

42 minutes ago, SmithyFlyer said:

I have read some of the documents. None of it makes any sense. Also, I am clicking on the .lua file. 

Clicking on the Lua file does nothing!!! It's a script, which has to be loaded by FSUIPC and run inside the simulator. Clicking on files is NOT a way of doing everything in a computer!

I'm afraid I cannot explain things any better than shown in the documentation. I have already suggested ways for you to make it run. If you cannot even put the Lua file into the Modules folder, and cannot assign a button or key in FSUIPC, then I don't think you can really use FSUIPC at all. How do you use the simulator? Surely you must have mastered some things to do with FS?

If you think you can manage to find the FSUIPC options in the sim's Add-Ons menu, and then find the Buttons and Switches tab, try it. Try pressing a button, then try assigning to the control "Lua" followed by the name of that lua file in the drop down list. Then, press the OK button, and press the button you assigned. That will then run the Lua file.

If you cannot do any of that then, I'm sorry, I really give up. Maybe someone else can help.

Pete