The simFlight Network Forums

More then 64 byte Custom Offsets there ??

Dear Pete.

I try search.... find a lot Topics but not the awnser i need. Hope you can help me.

While planing my Homecockpit i think the Free Offset Space (64 byte  66C0) isn´t enough for my project.     To awnser youre first question.... This is not a System i will give to other people.  It´s just to build my personal Homecockpit. So i´m NOT Request for a Offset range exclusive for me !

So i plan to use a PMDG B737 for this first big Project in my HC Builder career.     At this Point i think about..... What is with all the Space, that other Addon´s Use ?  the "reserved" areas are so big !

For Example the Range that is reserved for Project Magenta.   When Project Magenta isn´t running on my system.... Is this Space then unused and i can work with it ? (Sorry for this stupid questiion but i already not understand if the AddOn writes these offsets or if FSUIPC fill this Offsets itself as requested by the producers of these Addons. So i don´t know if there "free" aslong the Addon is not installed )

So my Question....  Is there a Offset List (like youre "FSUIPC4 Offset Status.pdf") that show me  Area from xxxx - yyyy is only used when AddOn xyz is active ?

I just need Offsets that "0" on systemstart and i can write/read them like i do with 66C0 for example.   I Understand that i can´t use AddOn XY aslong i use this Offsets. Thats no problem for me.

Thank you !

7 hours ago, Pizman said:

So i plan to use a PMDG B737 for this first big Project in my HC Builder career.     At this Point i think about..... What is with all the Space, that other Addon´s Use ?  the "reserved" areas are so big !

For Example the Range that is reserved for Project Magenta.   When Project Magenta isn´t running on my system.... Is this Space then unused and i can work with it ?

Yes, you can. PM was the first cockpit software I worked with, and in fact both FSUIPC and WideFS were developed in cooperation with PM software, and its author Enrico Schiratti, so there were therefore always  close connections -- hence the many special "PM" controls optionally) in the assignments list, and the hosting of my software on Enrico's site.  Really, we were very inefficient in the use of the offsets for PM, at the time not realising how many other projects were going to want similar support.

I have since moved from PM to Prosim737, and for my cockpit software I too have re-used PM offsets for interfacing to Prosim.

The design of the interface limits the offset addresses to 16 bits, so the 64k I have availble in total is allocated very strictly to those requesting it for projects which are going to be published. But for sole user needs any areas not specifically used for those, or by FSUIPC itself, or by FS itself, are fine.

All offsets initialise as 0 to start with.

Pete

OK  thanks !

Please confirm me the follow that i understand it complete....

For Example I take some Offsets from the PM Offset Mapping from the official Homepage....

1:

Offset 5406   2 Byte    MCP/FCU ISA Set  (Write)  ......   Like i request, i can use THIS Offset for my personal HC.  I will got no problems cause PM not running on my system and so this offset is empty and the same like the official Custom Offset like 66C0     Right ??

2:

Offset 5404   2 Byte   CDU/MCDU Build Number (Read Only) ......   there im not shure if i can use it cause of "ReadOnly" Flag.  Means this Read Only just when using PM or is this Offset realy coverd by FSUIPC ? ...  Can i use this Offset, too ?

3:

At Last i see there are some bigger areas in PM Offset Mapping like 5600  5700 or 5800 with 100 bytes each i can´t define if they still empty when PM is not running.

So please understnad me right.....   I fully understand you give this Space to youre friend Enrico  years ago....  But maby you or enrico can define some official puplished areas that can be take for personal use IF the User NOT have PM installed.  For Newbies like me it´s a little difficult to check what offsets can be used whithout more informations.  

greets.

1 hour ago, Pizman said:

So please understnad me right.....   I fully understand you give this Space to youre friend Enrico  years ago....  But maby you or enrico can define some official puplished areas that can be take for personal use IF the User NOT have PM installed.  For Newbies like me it´s a little difficult to check what offsets can be used whithout more informations.  

NONE of the PM offsets are used if PM isn't running, except where individuals, like me (and soon you!), have re-used them for their own private purpose. Surely I've already said that?

I don't know what you don't understand by "Yes you can" in answer to your question. The rest of my reply was by way of friendly explanation, not a cause for debate! ;-)

Pete

Sorry Pete....

English is not my first language and google translator is not always completly 1:1 meaningfull.

Without less experiance in programming some facts are difficult to understand.... Like "ReadOnly Flags" are permanent or only when the specific AddOn is running.

But whatever....  Problem is solved   Thank you !

And my Apology for the unnecessary 2.nd posting.

Best Regards... Peter

47 minutes ago, Pizman said:

Without less experiance in programming some facts are difficult to understand.... Like "ReadOnly Flags" are permanent or only when the specific AddOn is running.

Some ReadOnly offsets are actually protected from writing by FSUIPC -- but none of these are related to add-on dedicated locations. If there are any so marked for PM it just means that writing to them doesn't change anything in PM.

Pete

• Upvote 1