The simFlight Network Forums

Raildriver

Hello all!

I have a raildriver desktop cab controller (Ya ya I like trains). Im also broke and want to have new hardware for interacting with my P3D. How do I get fsuipc to see my raildriver? It has tons of buttons levers and switches. Only thing is when I try to assign the buttons and levers and switches, it is as if my raildriver doesnt exist. It is really only a box so I figure it should work.

Has anybody else tried this? What would be a good place to start in trying to make this work?

Thank you in advance,

Brian

Hi,

FSUIPC can only see the controller when also Windows itself can see the controller as a game-controller / joystick in its own facility (system ... GameController). If it is a special controller that only works with additional software, it might not work. Check first if Windows can see it as a Gamecontroller / Joystick.

Thomas

7 hours ago, plicpriest1 said:

So the question is: how can I get windows to recognize the raildriver as a gaming device?\

You'd need a driver which made it look like a regular Joystick type device. Have you checked the support website for the device?

Or you could write your own plug-in for FSUIPC using the Hid facilities in the Lua com library.

Pete

Yes I have the drivers for it. Unfortunately after installing them windows still does not recognize the raildriver.

Ok im interested in writing my own plug-in. Admittedly my skills in the world of programming are lacking (read nearly non existent). That said I am willing to learn and experiment. So to make my own plug in, will I need to open a new notepad file or modify an existing one?

Also for what it is worth, in my FSUIPC folder in modules there is an Aerosoft F-14 LUA. Should I reference this as a template?

Again thank you for your time

Brian

Edit: also I did find the documentation in the FSUIPC modules, just need to know how to utilize the advanced info

Edited by plicpriest1
Extra thought

17 minutes ago, plicpriest1 said:

Ok im interested in writing my own plug-in. Admittedly my skills in the world of programming are lacking (read nearly non existent). That said I am willing to learn and experiment. So to make my own plug in, will I need to open a new notepad file or modify an existing one?

The only possibly relevant Lua plug-in example available from my installs (in your FSUIPC Documents folder) is the "HidDemo.lua".  But that's really for joystick types which have more facilities than the standard joystick interface supports. For non-conforming devices you need to be a good detective. In the past I've used USB monitors to examine the data flow from and to the device whilst using it in its normal way. 

Then it has to be programmed without many aids available to a standard joystick.

Use the HidScanner utility, downloadable from the Download Links subforum, to see what sort of problem you miht be facing, without help from the makers.

I'm afraid that if you aren't an experienced programmer or hardware engineer it's going to be quite a task. I supsect there are much more productive routes to get the sort of control you want.

Pete

I did find the HidDemo. Looking into it I was fairly blown away. That said, the raildriver does have levers and buttons. Interestingly enough certain buttons have had an effect in FSX before (daughter came along and started pushing the buttons). Im using P3D now, but it is interesting that there was a connection. Tracking that down could be another matter though.

Yes this could be quite a task. I just see a perfectly good resource without spending the extra $$$$$. Hmm I guess step 1 is doing some research. Perhaps taking an already made .lua and modifying it to suite my needs.

Brian

18 minutes ago, plicpriest1 said:

Interestingly enough certain buttons have had an effect in FSX before (daughter came along and started pushing the buttons). Im using P3D now, but it is interesting that there was a connection. Tracking that down could be another matter though.

Maybe it does have a mode which emulates a proper joystick device, and the mode has been changed.

I really do think you need to find the support place for the device itself.

Pete