The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC Log Interpretation

Hi Pete,

Thank you for your Program that I have used for many years.

I have a small query. In the log, what does "Restarting traffic scanning due to non-reception" mean? 

Is the reference to traffic meaning data traffic between FSX and applications via simconnect or is it a reference to AI Traffic?

The reason I ask is on every flight (FSX Acceleration) on Windows 10 Pro, using AS16 and either RC4 or PF3, I have AI Chatter on Clearance Delivery, Ground, Tower and Departures, and when handed over to Centre/Control, I may get one or two AI Chatter calls and then that is it, all the way through to destination, with plenty of AI Traffic around me including approaches into busy terminal areas. I will never hear anything again from half way through climb all the way to touch down at the other end, which can be a simple Melbourne to Sydney or a flight from the U.K or Australia to Hong Kong and that is a lot of silence!

The fact that two ATC add on programs are displaying the same behaviour leads me to believe that something is happening on my PC to snuff AI Chatter out.

I suspect the "Restarting traffic scanning due to non-reception" and the cessation of AI Traffic chatter are related but I don't know what I am looking for to fix it. The message in log seems to appear around the same time I last hear AI talking.

My AI is My Traffic Professional 6a.

Thank you for reading. I appreciate my issue is not FSUIPC related, and maybe my issue and the log entry are completely different things but I am hoping the log is telling me something. I just need to work out what the something is.

Kind regards,

Mark

27 minutes ago, mwa05 said:

In the log, what does "Restarting traffic scanning due to non-reception" mean?

It means that, although there are known AI aircraft in the air, no updates have been received for their positions for too long a time, indicating possibly that, due to overloading, SimConnect has stopped supplying them. It is a better, more efficient way, than re-initialising the entire SimConnect connection which can cause slight pausing due to the sheer number of Sim Variables being re-requested.

From what you say it seems that even restarting the traffic scan doesn't help get it going again.  Are you perhaps using a PMDG or FSL aircraft? They are known to be very substantial SimConnect users.

RC4 uses FSUIPC to get AI traffic data, so it is going to suffer if FSUIPC does. I think PF3 probably does too. To see if SimConnect itself is failing to provide it altogether you'd need some other, non-FSUIPC program which reads AI, like Super Traffic Board, FS-FlightControl, or ProATC/X. Oh, or maybe just the free AI Traffic Limiter utility (AirTrafficManager? Or AirTrafficControl?).

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Dowson said:

It means that, although there are known AI aircraft in the air, no updates have been received for their positions for too long a time, indicating possibly that, due to overloading, SimConnect has stopped supplying them. It is a better, more efficient way, than re-initialising the entire SimConnect connection which can cause slight pausing due to the sheer number of Sim Variables being re-requested.

From what you say it seems that even restarting the traffic scan doesn't help get it going again.  Are you perhaps using a PMDG or FSL aircraft? They are known to be very substantial SimConnect users.

RC4 uses FSUIPC to get AI traffic data, so it is going to suffer if FSUIPC does. I think PF3 probably does too. To see if SimConnect itself is failing to provide it altogether you'd need some other, non-FSUIPC program which reads AI, like Super Traffic Board, FS-FlightControl, or ProATC/X. Oh, or maybe just the free AI Traffic Limiter utility (AirTrafficManager? Or AirTrafficControl?).

Pete

Thank you for your reply Pete, that is very helpful.

Yes, I have PMDG 737, 777, 747 and FSL A320 and it usually the A320 that I am flying. I do have Super Traffic Board although it is not installed on this PC, so I will install and check. Thank you for your guidance.

Mark

Hi Pete,

I have made several flights using Super Traffic Board and Simconnect is not failing to provide AI Traffic data.

When restarting traffic scanning due non reception occurs, nothing happens with AI (they are all still there and in front of me, on TCAS - I purposely flew behind two AI going to the same destination on the same track) except that, from the rescan point, the AI Chatter stops and no AI aircraft talks at all from then on all the way to the gate (Radar Contact).

Is there a parameter I can use to stop the rescan as a test? It is odd in that it happens half way through a flight when there are less than a dozen or so aircraft within the reality bubble and at a time when the airplane your flying is not really doing anything intensive.

Would using the [Traffic] option have any influence? I have it set to 100, and then 50 for all preferences and 25 for FPS.

Kind regards,

Mark

9 hours ago, mwa05 said:

Is there a parameter I can use to stop the rescan as a test? It is odd in that it happens half way through a flight when there are less than a dozen or so aircraft within the reality bubble and at a time when the airplane your flying is not really doing anything intensive.

Yes, that's really odd.  The re-scan occurs when FSUIPC has not received any AI updates for 4 x the SimConnectStallTime parameter.  That cannot be disabled at present. You could try setting it to 20 which would mean it wouldn't restart until there were no updates for 80 seconds.

Note that it doesn't count time when the sim in paused or in a menu, nor if there are no AI in its list.

I am wondering whether all you <12 AI are parked or stopped somewhere, and so not moving? Maybe SimConnect doesn't send anything then? If this is the reason for the restart, then I should probably first check whether they all have GS = 0 and if so don't restart.

Whati s more the problem is why FSUIPC is getting no new data for AI after the restart. It only repeats what it did during initialisation, as if it were a new client, like Traffic Board. It does suggest something else, more serious, going on which somewhere stops SimConnect sending FSUIPC the data.

Here, when I'm developing and testing, there are often stops for debugging which FSUIPC doesn't recognise as pausing or menu action, and these always cause a restart of the Traffic section and it has never failed to reload all the traffic again very quickly.

I wonder if the closed Client is failing to re-open for some reason. Do you check the loags? If it fails FSUIPC logs "Failed on SimConnect_Open for AI Traffic Client" with an error number added.

One change you can make, just as a test, is to set "UseAIClient=No". This will make FSUIPC use the main FSUIPC client for the AI Traffic instead of a separate client. This was the old way of doing it, which I changed because it appeared that the sheer amount of FSUIPC data requested could overload once a lot of AI data was also included.

9 hours ago, mwa05 said:

Would using the [Traffic] option have any influence? I have it set to 100, and then 50 for all preferences and 25 for FPS.

No. That's purely concerned with whatever traffic there is, not an empty table.

Pete

Thank you for your continued support on this Pete.

I do check the logs post flight and I have never had a Failed on SimConnect error. My whole set up works flawlessly and beautifully but for this one issue. And it has probably been like this forever and I had never noticed until I watched a live stream of a new product and I thought my Radar Contact does not work like that!

I have a free evening as it turns out with wife and children elsewhere thus I will follow the suggestions above and will try some different flights and report back with some details.

Kind regards,

Mark

19 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

One change you can make, just as a test, is to set "UseAIClient=No".

19 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

The re-scan occurs when FSUIPC has not received any AI updates for 4 x the SimConnectStallTime parameter.  That cannot be disabled at present. You could try setting it to 20 which would mean it wouldn't restart until there were no updates for 80 seconds.

Hi Pete,

Unfortunately, neither of these suggestions worked.

On a SYD-MEL flight (16L.ABBEY3.WOL H65 RAZZI Q29 LIZZI.LIZZI3Z.16) I consistently get the restarting traffic scanning between RAZZI and TANTA (the next waypoint on track) and it is just after all of the SYD AI disappears (beyond reality bubble for SYD) and there are usually only 4 or 5 aircraft listed, 3 of which are usually airborne and 2 on the ground Canberra ahead and to the right of track.

ATC to me continues perfectly, and AI continues working as well but for talking - I landed at a very busy Melbourne. If I look at my Radar Contact files, you can play back the last transmission the chatter.wav, pilot.wav and the controller.wav, made and my chatter.wav had a time stamp of 9.34pm 01/04/2017 and when I played it, it was a Cathay flight being told to resume own navigation, and that definitely was the last transmission in game. My pilot and controller time stamps were 10.36pm and that was my taxi to the gate instruction and acknowledgement. However, I noted not less than 20 AI in that hour, including two ahead going to same destination and they were 10 and 15 miles ahead respectively, same flight level and had to be on the same frequency. Neither were handed off to approach when I was on Centre just behind and neither were handed off to Tower when I was on approach.

My FSUIPC log tells me that the rescanning occurred (converting the figures) around 9.36pm.

I think the next thing I will try is a flight just using MS ATC (I will have to do some study to work out how to turn it back on it has been so long!) - I have the latest payware EditVoicePack XL and it is up to date so that should cover AI given my World Travel and Pacifica AI et al are turned off, and see where that takes me.

I will let you know how I get on with MS ATC, and I will also do a flight with PF3 as well. I will keep the .ini as modified above with the entries you suggested.

It may be a few days before I have done all of that.

Edit/PS - I have just done the same flight using MS ATC (drawing on EditVoicePack) and I got the restarting traffic scanning in the same position but... it does not effect MS ATC. AI Chatter continued as per normal.

So, I am not sure what that tells me other than the restart effects the chatter.wav operation somehow in Radar Contact (at least on my system) and, for some reason something happens in that piece of airspace to cause the rescan.

Doing a PF3 flight will have to wait until at least Monday night, my sim time has run out, weekend family events beckon.

Kind regards,

Mark

6 hours ago, mwa05 said:

So, I am not sure what that tells me other than the restart effects the chatter.wav operation somehow in Radar Contact (at least on my system) and, for some reason something happens in that piece of airspace to cause the rescan.

It isn't really the restart that is the problem. That wouldn't occur if SimConnect was still providing traffic updates. The restart of the traffic scanning is just doing EXACTLY what FSUIPC does initially in order to get the traffic data in the first place. Even if you stopped the restart occurring there'd be no traffic updates in any case -- the restart is just an attempt to recover.

I've no idea why it seems to be affecting only FSUIPC (and of course its clients). That is really a puzzle.

I've no time ot investigate further today in any case. But I tend to have lots of traffic. I'm wondering if it is related to the fact that you seem to only ever have a few. Maybe I'll test with 12 or less and see what happens, though I can't think what could be causing the non-receipt of data no matter how many there are.

Pete

Thanks for the reply Pete, if I can help you in anyway, just shout out.

Unlike most countries, Australia is not littered with airports. You can fly from Melbourne to Darwin and not go anywhere near an aerodrome for 4 hours until you pass Tindal (and that is a military airfield) just before TOD, thus for most of the flight, you are just getting the modest amount of traffic in your area based on the real world schedules in the AI program (I use the FTX AI Australia program for flying in Australia, which is very accurate and MT6a for flights outside of Australia).

Maybe I should do a flight from Helsinki to London to test the theory on non receipt of data.

Anyway, after using MS ATC today, despite the fact it worked all the way to destination, I now remember why I went to ATC add-ons and I think I would prefer to have a quiet flight with the add-on than ear candy with MS ATC but all the foibles it brings!

Have a good Sunday.

Kind regards,

Mark

Hi Pete,

I have just done the SYD-MEL flight with PF3 (with the .ini amended still as above) and on this flight, I cranked up the AI Traffic to 100% and changed my [Traffic] to 75/95/5/5/95/25 to ensure the maximum amount of airborne traffic which never went below 12 all flight and I never had a restart traffic scanning and AI Chatter continued all flight.

I guess the next exercise is to keep those settings and do the flight with Radar Contact but maintaing a greater than 12 airborne AI seems to have eliminated the restart traffic scanning (well, it is only one flight but so far so good). Remembering I got the restart traffic scanning with MS ATC as well (but AI Chatter continued) 

My airline traffic slider was previously 40% (the recommended setting for FTX AI) with my [Traffic] as previously reported.

Thus there maybe something in your theory about low airborne levels of AI.

I don't have time tonight to do it all again with Radar Contact but will do during the week.

If none of that made sense, sorry, I will try to re explain in the morning, it was a big day at work!

Cheers,

Mark

1 hour ago, mwa05 said:

Thus there maybe something in your theory about low airborne levels of AI.

Well, yes, and I'll be doing some tests along those lines when I can (still tied up here). But the theory is incomplete, because I still cannot understand why restarting the scan doesn't work. SimConnect should first give me the AI current positions, even if they haven't really changed.

I'll look at my code too, to see if I've somewhere imposed a minimum level of traffic before I bother! It's a possibility I suppose, though unlikely, and if so it dates back a very long time, maybe to FS9 in 2003/4.

Pete

Hi Pete,

I just did the flight with Radar Contact, with the .ini as described above and the [Traffic] set at75/95/5/5/95/25, and slider 100% for airliners and with 15 AI airborne I got restarting traffic scanning which broke the AI Chatter. I sat in silence for the rest of the flight.

The difference between the successful flight and this one seems to be that the successful flight had all airborne aircraft when I left the departure airport reality bubble whereas this flight had one aircraft on the ground Canberra shut down at the gate.

Sorry I could not post better news.

If you ever find out what it is and fix it, I will be eternally grateful but given I seem to be the only person on Earth it happens to, I also understand if you just leave it alone. I have come full circle, which is restarting traffic scanning on my PC breaks AI Chatter using RC4 or PF3. Transmissions to me continue to work perfectly. I should just go to zero AI! 

Kind regards,

Mark

Just now, mwa05 said:

If you ever find out what it is and fix it, I will be eternally grateful but given I seem to be the only person on Earth it happens to, I also understand if you just leave it alone.

I have not been able to reproduce it yet.

1 minute ago, mwa05 said:

I have come full circle, which is restarting traffic scanning on my PC breaks AI Chatter

You persist in this misunderstanding. As I keep explaining, it is NOT restarting the scanning which breaks anything. For the restart to be triggered it is already broken. The restart occurs exactly because no traffic information is being supplied by SimConnect, even though it was requested. The restart is an attempt to force SimConnect to start supplying again.

I'll continue to test here, but it is very strange. Possibly SimConnect logging would show something, but the file that would produce would be enormous and finding any relevant line there will bre a nightmare.

I'll get back to you if I can find anything. From your reports it only happens when there are very few AI aircraft, is that right, or have I missed something?

Pete

1 hour ago, mwa05 said:

The difference between the successful flight and this one seems to be that the successful flight had all airborne aircraft when I left the departure airport reality bubble whereas this flight had one aircraft on the ground Canberra shut down at the gate.

So, when the problem happens, are all the aircraft static on the ground and not being prepared or doing anything? In such cases SimConnect will not be sending any updates. However, I think FSUIPC only gets into the "restart" situation if there are airborne aircraft -- but I'll check this.

If FSUIPC does restart scanning when there are only unchanging static aircraft, perhaps SimConnect doesn't supply the initial data. Maybe it only supplies such data when the aircraft are first added.

If the problem has never happened when aircraft are actually flying, then that is a BIG clue and guides me to what and where to check.

After the traffic restart, if SimConnect is not providing unchanging data then, nevertheless, it would start sending data once airborne (or active ground) aircraft are about.

FSUIPC's TCAS tables, as used by applications such as Radar Contact, only have a range or max 80 nm (adjustable in the INI and, I think, the Options dialogue).  So that's another factor. Programs like SuperTrafficBoard have no range limits.

Let me know the answers to these things and I'll look deeper. I've been running FSX-SE for the last couple of hours in a remote part of the world where there are only a few (between 1 and 14) aircraft, but mostly airborne. It is very difficult to force a case where nothing is flying.

Pete

Well, it's been running now with small numbrers of traffic, but all airborne. I've checked the code and it definitely will not restart scanning unless there is at least one airborne AI but no updates for the timeout period.

I've prepared a test version which keeps the airborne counter used to test this in an offset (026C) so it can easily be monitored by a Lua plug-in. But before I supply anything to do al that, maybe you could let FSUIPC log all the AI data it is getting. This will get very large, but when you get the problem it should show exactly why, so you coud stop the sim then and only show me the last few hundred lines of the log.

The way to enable this logging is as follows:

Add to the [General] section in FSUIPC4.INI these lines.

Debug=Please
LogExtras= x10000

Pete

8 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

You persist in this misunderstanding. As I keep explaining, it is NOT restarting the scanning which breaks anything. For the restart to be triggered it is already broken. The restart occurs exactly because no traffic information is being supplied by SimConnect, even though it was requested. The restart is an attempt to force SimConnect to start supplying again.

Hi Pete, imprecise language on my part, I certainly understand that restart is the result of the core failure.

From your reports it only happens when there are very few AI aircraft, is that right, or have I missed something?

Yes, the event seems to be triggered when leaving the reality bubble of your departure airport where there is a lot of traffic to enroute, when you go from say 85 captured AI to something a lot less if the "a lot less" includes an airplane on the ground. If you leave the departure airport reality bubble and the "a lot less" are all airborne, then the issue does not seem to occur.

7 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

So, when the problem happens, are all the aircraft static on the ground and not being prepared or doing anything?

No, only one or two on the ground, but at least one not doing anything. But the rest airborne.

If the problem has never happened when aircraft are actually flying, then that is a BIG clue and guides me to what and where to check.

A bit hard to answer but what I can say is on the two occasions that I have managed to do a full flight from a SYD to MEL or MEL to SYD and AI Chatter did not break, it appears that when I left the departure airport reality bubble (where there is a lot of AI) and the AI goes from say 85 to 11 (or 14 or pick a relatively modest number) then if all of that traffic is airborne (as opposed to one or two being on the ground static at say Albury or Canberra) then it works through to destination. But that just maybe coincidence as I only definitively checked all AI positions as I flew the second time it worked. Unfortunately the first time it worked all the way to destination I didn't. Obviously all AI were responding all flight  (why on these occasions as opposed to others is the mystery) thus not requiring a restart.

FSUIPC's TCAS tables, as used by applications such as Radar Contact, only have a range or max 80 nm (adjustable in the INI and, I think, the Options dialogue).  So that's another factor. Programs like SuperTrafficBoard have no range limits.

I do have my TCAS in FSUIPC ini set at 80nm, which is the recommended setting in the RC manual. I have had it at 0 which is off and it made no difference to this issue. It was one of things I tried in problem solving before I first reached out for help.

6 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

Well, it's been running now with small numbrers of traffic, but all airborne. I've checked the code and it definitely will not restart scanning unless there is at least one airborne AI but no updates for the timeout period.

That is interesting, so my coincidence referred to above was probably just that.

6 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

I've prepared a test version which keeps the airborne counter used to test this in an offset (026C) so it can easily be monitored by a Lua plug-in. But before I supply anything to do al that, maybe you could let FSUIPC log all the AI data it is getting. This will get very large, but when you get the problem it should show exactly why, so you coud stop the sim then and only show me the last few hundred lines of the log.

The way to enable this logging is as follows:

Add to the [General] section in FSUIPC4.INI these lines.

Debug=Please
LogExtras= x10000

Roger, wilco over the weekend and I will attach the file.

Thanks Pete, I do really appreciate your help.

Kind regards,

Mark

1 hour ago, mwa05 said:

something a lot less if the "a lot less" includes an airplane on the ground. If you leave the departure airport reality bubble and the "a lot less" are all airborne, then the issue does not seem to occur

Hmm. Stranger and stranger. I can't see how the combination is any different. But I don't think that arose in my tests. I'll have to try again. So does the ground traffic also have to be a "lot less", more than 1 or 2, like you said, or not? 

1 hour ago, mwa05 said:

That is interesting, so my coincidence referred to above was probably just that.

Sorry, I don't see that. My results agreed with yours -- no restart if the only traffic were all airborne.

I'll see if I can conjure up a situation with a few aircraft on the ground as well as in the air  I'm watching the TCAS tble entries using two copies of Traffic Look running side by side, one set to ground and the other to airborne, and the FS Tools facility "Traffic Explorer" for the complete list, including those out of TCAS range.

Pete

Sorry, I don't see that. My results agreed with yours -- no restart if the only traffic were all airborne.

Hi Pete, roger that, I misunderstood. We are on the same page.

Hmm. Stranger and stranger. I can't see how the combination is any different. But I don't think that arose in my tests. I'll have to try again. So does the ground traffic also have to be a "lot less", more than 1 or 2, like you said, or not? 

No, it was just my (poor) way of (inadequately) explaining what I experience- we are "there" - from the above, your results agreed with mine - no restart if the only traffic were all airborne.

Kind regards,

Mark

Hi Pete,

Please find attached my log file. I flew MEL-SYD; I actually saw on TCAS the traffic disappear where the issue normally happens after I leave the depature airport reality bubble. I checked the AI and there was about 5 airborne and one static on the ground.

I can't make much sense of the log file but it does not contain a ***restarting*** so maybe I did not have that and this test has not worked? Murphy's law of course...

It is pretty late so I don't have time to start again so if this is no good, please let me know and I will do it again tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Mark

FSUIPC4.log

38 minutes ago, mwa05 said:

can't make much sense of the log file but it does not contain a ***restarting*** so maybe I did not have that and this test has not worked? Murphy's law of course...

The log doesn't show much to me, either. Some weird stuff though ...

There were 46 AI aircraft in the TCAS range, all of which provided only their initial positions. Of those 16 were airborne -- 30 were on the ground.. I'll have to check that logging option. Because with airborne aircraft (especially) there could be as many as 4 updates per second EACH, I probably only log the aircraft details when it first appears. I'll have to think of another way which doesn't give huge, really huge, files.

Tomorrow, would you run TrafficLook instead of Radar Contact or whatever is sending slew toggle commands to the aircraft -- it seems to be doing it to most of the aircraft, and almost all at once. Weird. It only does this to 4 of the 12 airborne aircraft. But why is it doing this anyway? I'm pretty sure Radar Contact doesn't, at least when I used it (I moved to ProATC/X).

To avoid this weird confusion, please only use TrafficLook for the test -- you can run it twice, selecting ground for one and airborne for the other. It will run happily on a network under WideFS if you want. It only reads TCAS traffic aircraft, so it won't send them commands.

If I change the logging in a Test version, I'll add another message here with a link.

Pete

Tomorrow, would you run TrafficLook instead of Radar Contact or whatever is sending slew toggle commands to the aircraft -- it seems to be doing it to most of the aircraft, and almost all at once. Weird. It only does this to 4 of the 12 airborne aircraft. But why is it doing this anyway? I'm pretty sure Radar Contact doesn't, at least when I used it (I moved to ProATC/X).

Hi Pete,

Wilco. Interesting- I only use RC4, AS16 and FSX/A. That is all that is running but I do have AIDupe.dll that eliminates duplicate AI (which can be quite a lot with MT6a at high slider settings). It is easily disabled but for now I will just run a flight without RC4 with TrafficLook as suggested,

https://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=aidupe&CatID=root&Go=Search

I will install TrafficLook and try later today. 

Kind regards,

Mark

56 minutes ago, mwa05 said:

Wilco. Interesting- I only use RC4, AS16 and FSX/A. That is all that is running but I do have AIDupe.dll that eliminates duplicate AI (which can be quite a lot with MT6a at high slider settings).

Yes, I use AIDupe too.

Of those I can only think it is RC4 -- it uses Slew Mode to freeze traffic before encroaching runways you are using. I'm sure whether it uses it for other things too. But according to the log it's doing some very odd, illogical, things.

58 minutes ago, mwa05 said:

I will install TrafficLook and try later today. 

Ah, Australia. Yes. It's still yesterday here. Well, for another 5 minutes! ;-)

Pete

Hi Pete and Good Morning!

Well, success this time, in so far as I ran without RC4, and with just two TrafficLook.exe's open, one for airborne and one for ground, and I got a restart traffic scanning once I left the Departure Airport reality bubble - the log is attached and there were about 6 aircraft airborne and 1 on the ground (Albury).

Interestingly, both the Airborne and Ground TrafficLook files were empty after the restart and remained empty, even though right clicking the screen in sim, and looking at the list of AI aircraft and selecting them to see where they were (about 6 flying and 1 on the ground) clearly showed AI aircraft still active,

I closed both TrafficLook files and restarted them but apart from showing user, and my details, i.e. altitude and frequency etc, were empty and not showing the aircraft that were active.

So whatever "it is", it killed TrafficLook as well, apart from me showing in it. Which is what happens with the ATC programs - they keep talking to me.

Interstingly, MS ATC recognised and kept talking to the AI after the restart - it knew about them but TrafficLook did not.

The FSUIPC log from this mission is attached. However, apart from it showing that I was going to desktop to check TrafficLook, the log (in notepad) etc I don't really see it pointing to anything but I am not an expert.

Kind regards,

Mark

FSUIPC4.log

8 hours ago, mwa05 said:

Interestingly, both the Airborne and Ground TrafficLook files were empty after the restart and remained empty, even though right clicking the screen in sim, and looking at the list of AI aircraft and selecting them to see where they were (about 6 flying and 1 on the ground) clearly showed AI aircraft still active,

Within the TCAS range?

8 hours ago, mwa05 said:

The FSUIPC log from this mission is attached.

Yes, sorry. As I said, the logging isn't sufficient to tell me what is going on. I'll be trying to reproduce the problem here -- so far I've not been successful in finding somewhere with only a little ground traffic but definitely air traffic. I'm using MT6 for traffic. I just need to find someplace far away from busy airports, but near a small one with only one or two aircraft on the ground, and under routes being flown by airborne stuff.

If I can't repro it within the next few days I'll amend the logging and send you a link.

Pete

15 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

Within the TCAS range?

Good question. Not immediately but in a minute or so one was however the others did not show on my ND.

20 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

I just need to find someplace far away from busy airports, but near a small one with only one or two aircraft on the ground, and under routes being flown by airborne stuff.

I have MT6 too, and without being too fancy, if you do a flight plan DCT WOL H65 RAZZI Q29 ML and depart Sydney 16L climb to FL320 with AI capped at 75 (or 100, or even greater, I have found it makes no difference on the route) with your slider at 35 (MT6 recommended for real schedules) you should with some certainty be able to reproduce it. Canberra is the airport on route with only a few aircraft on the ground. 

Or DCT DOSEL Y59 TESAT DCT SY depart Melbourne 34, and climb to FL310 you can reproduce with Albury (usually no more than two SAAB340 on the ground).

They may work for a start to save you a bit of time. If I can help in anyway, let me know. 

Kind regards,

Mark