The simFlight Network Forums

unable to calibrate some axes

Running FSX on steam. Win7SP1. FSUIPC4966c.

This is primarily for helicopter simulation and we want to use FSUIPC to better calibrate the cyclic and pedals (ailerons. elevator, and rudder).

The y axis calibrates appropriately. The x axis will take the min (or max) initial value and then populate that into center value and lock the "set" buttons with an audible ping so no different values can be stored. Same behavior with pedals. Values register accurately in when assigning the axes in the previous step. Just fails when trying to "set" value in calibration tab.

Attempted with a flight link controller set up and verified with a MS sidewinder. Same behavior.

this is a little time sensitive for us. Thanks!

FSUIPC4.log

28 minutes ago, AK_Heli said:

The y axis calibrates appropriately. The x axis will take the min (or max) initial value and then populate that into center value and lock the "set" buttons with an audible ping so no different values can be stored.

The "ping" only happens when numbers don't increase from left boxe to right. Just keep them in order -- left box (minimum) not higher than either centres (order of top and bottom centres don't matter) and all those not higher than the right value (maximum).

If you need the order reversed, select REV first, before calibrating. The it is still low to high but applied the other way around.

Press "RESET" to start again. The numbers will reset to defaults to start with which can then be set, maintaining the correct order.

I'm sure it says this sort of stuff in the User Guide.

Pete

Read the user guide and attempted multiple resets. This is aberrant behavior. Let me try to better explain it.

When attempting to calibrate the ailerons from left to right. At full left deflection, press set. The SAME value immediately populates into the Min column and Center column and the "set" buttons are now locked out for the center and right column irrespective of displacing the stick and the values no longer populate into either column, hence the ping.Attempted multiple resets. Upgraded to latest version this morning same behavior. Attempted with different controller, same behavior.

Hi,

there is no problem with calibration in FSUIPC.

Please make sure you calibrate with the correct values. In FSUIPC calibration Tab the MIN value is and Set button is on the left and the max value Set button on the right. The value given by your controller or joystick you read in the window on the left. That means i.e. when you move your stick to the left you might read a positive value and you will have to press the Max value Set button on the RIGHT, moving the stick to the right might give a negative value (that's the Min) and you will have to press the Min Set button on the left.

The Set buttons are logical placed (Minimum left and Maximum right) but the Min and Max value of controller have their values mostly not matching to the Set button positions.

So make sure you check the value given if it is the minimum (negative, i.e. -16383) and press the corresponding Set button ...

Thomas

3 hours ago, AK_Heli said:

At full left deflection, press set. The SAME value immediately populates into the Min column and Center column and the "set" buttons are now locked out for the center and right column

That means the full left deflection is giving a HIGHER value than the others. You have to have the LOWEST in the "minumum" column. You are mixing up "minimum" with left. It is the NUMERIC minimum, not necesarily the way the stick moves matching the screen orientation.

If you want to start with the left deflection giving a maximum value, click thethe Maximum" side instead first, or just start with full right deflection.

FSUIPC calibrates the NUMBERS used in the sim. In the calibration phase it is NOT reading the joystick but the values in the simulator!

I see Thomas answered you as well.  But I'm afraid reacted to your accusation. It s NOT "aberrant" behaviour. You are mixing up the meanings of the words minimum and maximum as meaning left and right deflection, which they can be but might not be. And such a mix up wouldn't make sense anyway for an elevator control, or throttles which don't have a left and right action.

Please note also that negative values (those preceded by a '-' sign) are lower (less than) positive numbers.

Pete

There have been a bunch of other bugs/instability issues with this installation and I've been trying to discern if this was a user/installation generated fail or if something else was going on. Still not entirely clear on why this is happening. Followed the recommended online tutorial. In the aileron axis left stick is generating a negative integer and right stick is generating a positive integer. I certainly appreciate that negative values are less than positive values (in simple math at least).

The tone here is a little aggressive (read the manual! -<+ etc.) I am genuinely just trying to figure this out and not coming at it from a hobby pov. Please show a little more patience for a new user? if the interface isn't intuitive for this particular user then it isn't about assessing blame on the engineer but rather yielding utility out of payware application. The help is appreciated!