The simFlight Network Forums

Tower!3D Pro Airport Addon Installers

WildCard

The default directory for installation of both official airport addons for the Pro versions have incorrect paths. KSAN is missing the exclamation mark '!' between 'Tower' and '3D'. KJKF has a space ' ' instead of an exclamation mark '!' and is missing the ' Pro' at the end.

Correct Path

"C:\Program Files (x86)\FeelThere\Tower!3D Pro"

or "%ProgramFilesDir(x86)%\FeelThere\Tower!3D Pro"

or some other variation depending on your installer creation software :-)

Current Incorrect Paths

KSAN - "C:\Program Files (x86)\FeelThere\Tower3D Pro"

KJKF - "C:\Program Files (x86)\FeelThere\Tower 3D"

Hi Vic,

Cool, reducing the workload for releasing is always a step in the right direction. :-)

Just a suggestion, for the new installers, check the registry to see if "HKCU/SOFTWARE/Feelthere/Tower! 3D Pro" exists (2 spaces in there, one after '!' and one after 'D'). If it doesn't, set the default path to the normal version (I'm guessing it's "\FeelThere\Tower 3D", space between 'Tower' and '3D'). If it does, set the default path to the Pro version ("\FeelThere\Tower!3D Pro", space between '3D' and 'Pro'). This is similar to how I've written install scripts in the past when I've had to deal with different versions in different directories. My preferred method is to store the install directory in a key in the registry, that way even a non-default install directory can be automatically set as the default in the installer.

This will definitely reduce the number support posts saying it doesn't work. I've found most users have almost no clue how a computer works, and if clicking the buttons doesn't work, then it's broke. ;-)

41 minutes ago, WildCard said:

This will definitely reduce the number support posts saying it doesn't work. I've found most users have almost no clue how a computer works, and if clicking the buttons doesn't work, then it's broke. ;-)

Hmmm, this sounds a bit like me lol

Russell

I probably should start a new thread for this as I consider it a bug and it has to do with the game installer itself and not the addons.

Why does the installer install the game in the 32-bit program files directory ('Program Files (x86)') instead of the 64-bit one ('Program Files') when it's a 64-bit only game?

No need to answer really, just thought I'd point it out. :-)

Daniel

On 4/25/2017 at 4:58 AM, WildCard said:

check the registry to see if "HKCU/SOFTWARE/Feelthere/Tower! 3D Pro" exists (2 spaces in there, one after '!' and one after 'D'). If it doesn't, set the default path to the normal version

What if you have both versions installed and still play both????????

5 minutes ago, futureboy said:

What if you have both versions installed and still play both????????

If your going to use a more complicated setup than just a single installation, then you'll have to put up with a slightly more complicated installation process.

That process being to change the directory that's shown as default...

...just like you have to now.

4 minutes ago, futureboy said:

Kinda blows your automatic installation theory out of the water.

It would if I'd been talking about automatic installation, but I wasn't. I was talking about automatically determining the default installation directory, as there will only be one installer to install each addon to either the normal or pro version.

For those not familiar with writing installers:- the default installation directory is the directory that is initially shown when running the installer, it may be changed by the user before continuing with the installation.

The default installation directory is the text circled in red in the attached picture.

KSAN Installer.png

futureboy, are you OK? Your posts used to be a good source of information for Tower newbies and I learned a lot from you but recently your posts just seem to take pot shots at everyone else. Where is the real RickyJ and what have you done with him?

Best,

Wayne