The simFlight Network Forums

Tower!3d Pro - Line up and wait Behind next Landing AC

NovemberFoxtrot

Hi All, 

I wanted to validate if this is something Im doing wrong, or a potential bug

On TIST, i've been queuing aircraft up at 10@C where they can handle the shortened runway. Ive noticed that if i give them an instruction for "Aircraft X, Runway 10, line up and wait behind next landing aircraft", they actually start to line up as soon as the landing aircraft touches down on the threshold, which is well before 10@C.. This results in the First aircraft starting to line up, and the landing aircraft smashing into them, which is bad for my points.

Am i doing something wrong here, or is this a bug?

2 hours ago, NovemberFoxtrot said:

Its used here in australia :) 

Yep sure is. I have heard it in BNE ATC. I think they usually specify specify landing operator & A/c type on final but at times just say, Line up behind landing A/C. e.g. Velocity XXX behind the landing QANTAS 737, line up & wait.  Ref Aust. AIP Gen3.4.13 item 4.5 conditional clearances. The WAIT condition is also used as part of the phraseology as per AIP gen 3.4

Whether it is used in the FAA system. I don't know.

Kev M

Nope, it's not allowed by the FAA. Here's an excerpt from FAA's Air Traffic Organization Policy (JO 7110.65W) :

3−9−4. LINE UP AND WAIT (LUAW)

a. The intent of LUAW is to position aircraft for an imminent departure. Authorize an aircraft to line up and wait, except as restricted in subpara g, when takeoff clearances cannot be issued because of traffic. Issue traffic information to any aircraft so authorized. Traffic information may be omitted when the traffic is another aircraft which has landed on or is taking off the runway and is clearly visible to the holding aircraft. Do not use conditional phrases such as “behind landing traffic” or “after the departing aircraft.”

Lol, I actually removed that command from the speech to text file because I saw the FAA manual was against it. I have now added it back to mine, and the one I posted because if Australian regs say its ok to live dangerously, then I say it would be un-Australian not to take advantage of it. :-)

9 hours ago, crbascott said:

Nope, it's not allowed by the FAA. Here's an excerpt from FAA's Air Traffic Organization Policy (JO 7110.65W) :

Regardless of the FAA regs, its a function in the Sim, and its not working to plan, hence I'm reporting it as a bug.

27 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Lol, I actually removed that command from the speech to text file because I saw the FAA manual was against it. I have now added it back to mine, and the one I posted because if Australian regs say its ok to live dangerously, then I say it would be un-Australian not to take advantage of it. :-)

Listen to YBBN on liveatc, and you'll hear them give the instruction all the time :) Its normally along the lines of "behind the landing a320 line up and wait"

It is not a bug. Tower is recording the time when the plane touches down as a trigger for landing. By using a taxiway/runway intersection just about the middle of the runway (I'm not expert at the real world TIST operation but I'm always certain IF they use that taxiway for takeoff I hope they are cautious not to use a landing behind landing airplane command in real life). 
So you are trying to use the sim for a way it is not intended in the sim neither in real life that we simulate :)

Vic