The simFlight Network Forums

The voice recognition system in Tower!3D Pro does not work

lwcWong

Hi,

I'm a new user of Tower!3D Pro.  And I don't know why my voice recognition system doesn't work in the simulation.

I've checked many times with my computer, speaker, mic and etc.  They all work fine and without any problem with other simulation games, for instance the ATC Pro.

I've raised my problem to Customer Support of Feelthere, but it seems that they are unable to tell me either why there is voice recognition problem with the simulation game or how to resolve it.

I've already re-installed the games, it is useless.  In fact, I guess that there are software bugs.

So, I'd appreciate it if there is someone help/tell me how to get rid of the problem.  Thanks.

Regards,

LW

I have noticed this problem as well, and I do run the game as administrator.  I've done some training with the computer as well to learn my voice, which I shouldn't have to do.  I've used voice recognition a lot on this computer, and it still hasn't cleared it up.  I do notice, however, that some of the commands, voice or otherwise, are different and must be spoken properly.  Pushback was new for me and I had to learn that, and calling out the callsigns for each plane and using "niner" for nine and so forth.  There are differences and if you do them right, usually it picks them up, but only when it feels like working, which is rare.

Hi renhoef,

I've followed you guide to start the game as administrator, its seems that there is some "improvement",   However, I don't know why the voice recognition works very unstable, i.e. sometime it functions fine, but it doesn't again after a while (i.e. the problem comes back again).  So is there any further suggestion?  Please advise.

Regards,

lwcWong 

I have had Tower3D Pro since release.  Most of the time voice has been pretty stable for me.  What I do see frequently is that it does not always function well at the start of a session.  Don't know if it is performance lag on may machine, or something else, but I find that often it will not work for the first minute or two, and then it will suddenly start working and continue to do so flawlessly for the rest of the session.  Stranger still, it does not do this consistently each time I play; seems like about half the time it starts out just fine.

Andrew

Not for the faint of heart, but being an old Unix/Linux guy I tend to do a lot of poking around and have noticed that when and if I do use speech (too slow versus point and click) it takes a while for the speak and recognition handler service to initialize, so I have become accustomed to opening a command window and do a "tail -f" (Unix/Linux command) on the spech.log file and will pause the game when it starts until I see the initialization complete when it displays:
PARSE: #airplane1; CONTACT TOWER
idx: 1  add txt: CONTACT  cmdlen: 1
idx: 1  add txt: TOWER  cmdlen: 2
PARSE: LAST PLANE CALLED
-- 2 --
-- 3 --
-- 4 --
-- 5 --
The --5-- meaning that the initialization is complete and I can un-pause the game and use the speech recognition.

A kudo for FeelThere is that it seems the more you use the speech recognition the better it becomes.  It seems to be learning your speech patterns.

RickyJ

Remember the fallen
“Only the dead have seen the end of war” —Plato

3 minutes ago, futureboy said:

A kudo for FeelThere is that it seems the more you use the speech recognition the better it becomes.  It seems to be learning your speech patterns.

RickyJ

Remember the fallen
“Only the dead have seen the end of war” —Plato

Agreed 100%.  I love how I can even pause in the middle of a phrase, say if I forget which taxiway I want to use, and then continue without having to start over.  Really beautiful.

I have noticed to Speech recognition is quite often slow to start as well. When the sim starts & the first A/C calls, I pause the sim and wait for about 10 seconds or so. By then the speech is up and running. Where did you guys get that startup music??

I agree that the speech recognition  does seem to improve over time with use.

For Vic, On the SP2 issue, I was not aware that a clean install was a requirement (although it would be good practice) & there does not seem to be any instructions to this effect in the installation files.

Keep up the good work. It is improving with each patch/SP.

Kev M

Hi Guys

I am finding voice recognition on Tower 3D Pro very much inferior to Tower 2011. Main problems are, some callsigns are not pronounced but just have letters spelt out (Jet Blue, westJet and British Airways to name a few. Also using the TAB arrow is really annoying with the continuous multi bleep on occasions which prevents transmit. Any chance of going back to a PTT button via mouse. As the old saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Brgds Mike D

5 hours ago, mjdaerotec said:

Hi Guys

I am finding voice recognition on Tower 3D Pro very much inferior to Tower 2011. Main problems are, some callsigns are not pronounced but just have letters spelt out (Jet Blue, westJet and British Airways to name a few. Also using the TAB arrow is really annoying with the continuous multi bleep on occasions which prevents transmit. Any chance of going back to a PTT button via mouse. As the old saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Brgds Mike D

Hi.  The problems you describe have nothing to do with the VR system.  It is just that the callsigns need to be properly edited in the airlines.txt file at each airport in the game.  Go to Tower3DPro/Extensions/Airfields and you will find a folder for each airport you have installed.  Look in that folder and there is a file called "airlines."  Open it with Notepad, and run a search for each airline that is giving you trouble, and then add spaces in the callsign where needed.  For example, you will find that Jet Blue is written as "Jetblue."  Just put a space between the words, save the file and you will be good to go.  Likewise, UPS should be edited to read U P S, FEDEX should be edited to read Fed Ex, and so on.  You will need to do this for each airport.  I know it is a small pain, and yes it should have been done by Nyerges, the developer of Real Traffic, but it is what it is.  A fairly easy fix.

Andrew

16 hours ago, Avwriter said:

You will need to do this for each airport.  I know it is a small pain, and yes it should have been done by Nyerges, the developer of Real Traffic, but it is what it is.  A fairly easy fix.

Andrew

Sorry if I seem to have hijacked the subject, from the speech subject but the way I have fixed all the .txt files is to make a master .txt file for airlines, airplanes & airports.txt files. I keep these files in .xlsx format  & amend as required. After amendment, convert them to .csv, then .txt files.

I then move these to all the extension folders & rename them to the various airport names. i.e. kjfk_airplanes.txt etc.This ensures all the airports have the latest .txt files. A bit fiddly but works for me.

Just thought i would update my experiences.  Periodically, I do still experience a delay the the voice recognition kicking in.  More rarely, I find that that VR will stop workling entirely, even after shutting down the game and restarting it.  On these RARE occasions (maybe 4 times over several dozen sessions), I have found that opening Speech Recognition in Windows Control Panel (with T3D still running) and switching to another profile and then back to my own gets it working instantly every time.

Andrew

On 31/05/2017 at 1:49 AM, Sky King said:

Hey 707FAN -- could you post your Excel files?

Thx,

SK

I am not sure about posting these as most of the content is Nyerges work. If I publish it there might be a copyright issue here.

I have gone though the latest SP on RT & found several old problems still exist, such as US airways still in list, TED still in list, The entries for Virgin Australia are all completely wrong. Several defunct airlines still in list. & others.

I have thought about culling the list to those operators who would reasonably be expected to operate into various airports & re-adding them later if needed at a new airport. For example, some weird operators in Tanzania would probable not operate into the large US airports. They could be removed but not deleted. If they did start to operate, they could be reinstated. this might keep the file small & better manageable.

Kev M

On 29 May 2017 at 3:49 PM, Avwriter said:

Hi.  The problems you describe have nothing to do with the VR system.  It is just that the callsigns need to be properly edited in the airlines.txt file at each airport in the game.  Go to Tower3DPro/Extensions/Airfields and you will find a folder for each airport you have installed.  Look in that folder and there is a file called "airlines."  Open it with Notepad, and run a search for each airline that is giving you trouble, and then add spaces in the callsign where needed.  For example, you will find that Jet Blue is written as "Jetblue."  Just put a space between the words, save the file and you will be good to go.  Likewise, UPS should be edited to read U P S, FEDEX should be edited to read Fed Ex, and so on.  You will need to do this for each airport.  I know it is a small pain, and yes it should have been done by Nyerges, the developer of Real Traffic, but it is what it is.  A fairly easy fix.

Andrew

Thanks for the info, great help

Brgds

Mike

32 minutes ago, bcooley66 said:

Any idea how to get Frontier to work with voice recognition? I've tried all different combinations in the text file, and nothing seems to work. Any help?

Odd.  Never had a problem with that one.  Just too be sure we are on the same page, you are saying "Frontier Flight" and not "Frontier"?

Andrew

1 hour ago, bcooley66 said:

Is there a way to just get it to say Frontier?

Technically, it should be possible, but Frontier Flight is the airline's actual radio callsign, presumably to prevent it from being confused with other callsigns during radio transmisions.  I would imagine that similar complications might arise over VR as well.  Have you tried using Frontier Flight, or was that what was causing the problem in the first place? 

Andrew

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone. I would like to share here what was my issue in having speech recognition consistently working.
For some reasons and sometimes, my microphone was not set as default communication device.

When the microphone was not checked/selected as default communication device, the speech recognition would initialize normaly as shown by a -- 5 -- in the logfile but obviously (now !) no command was identified..

For your information, this was not causing any issue to Cortana or any other speech reconition software ! Took me ages to figure out what was wrong..
Would be nice to know in the Tower 3D settings what's the status of the microphone and which one is selected...

Hope it will help someone...

Much respect to all who have posted here.  You all helped me when I was having VR problems.  I was convinced this game was "broken" somehow and just would not work.  Once I got VR working, it would only work for ONE COMMAND per scenario.  I stumbled onto a solution when trying to fix a problem with a different game.

New up-to-date, quality headphone/mic set.  (though my old ones were very nice.)  My post about it is here.

SOLUTION for voice recognition

Hope this helps SOMEONE, because I've been there, but this game is performing flawlessly for me now

Blessings all!!!

• 2 months later...

@FeelThere Hi I can't get my speech to work. I run it as administrator, system and speech language set to english US, i hear the sound when i press left shift bit when i talk nothing is captured. The same microphone worked for Tower!2011 I have the real traffic addon and the realcolour LAX (which doesn't work) I'm running Tower!3D pro bought on Steam thanks!