flying-w

The journey to Prepar3D V4

103 posts in this topic

It is my intention to develop an STB for Prepar3D V4, and while the journey will be a long one (with the possibility of ending in failure) I'll endeavour to keep you up to date with progress.  I don't have V4 yet, simply because from a development point of view I need it to live in its own operating system standalone from any other flight simulator.  Through my MSDN membership I can role out any Windows OS with ease, but now I'm flat out of disk space to accommodate it all.  While I wait for a delivery of a new disk, another necessary task is to start working through the SDK, and there's a lot to take in.  Some comments I can make straight away are:

1) We will do things properly, as guided by the SDK.  Where tools exist to deploy the add-on, they will be used (the "add-on.xml" as V4 describes it).

2) You'll likely need .net V4.6 on your computer for STB, and that might not be part of your Windows OS although you might get it by virtue of installing P3D V4.

3) STB will become a 64bit app, for which you'll need a 64bit windows.  Not a problem when running STB on the same computer as Prepar3D, but if you run STB on a separate "client" computer, that will need to be 64bit also.

4) Any initial release of STB will be for compatibility, exploring new features of P3D V4 may come later.

5) As always, I work on this when I can when my full time day job and full time family don't get in the way!

Simon

Thanks for the great news!

For your information, my STB, that is configured to run with P3DV3.4, actually connects to V4 right out of the box. Only one error about virtual cockpit not working.

My v4 is still in vanilla state with standard AI, but STB can follow and Listen to AI without any problem. Other functions not tested.

Go figure, in a good way :-)

Anyway, looking forward with you exploring all the new goodies provided by v4!

Best regards

Sven

That too is great news, and it's a credit to LM for providing backwards compatibility through the SimConnect interface for P3D V3 clients such as STB.  Indeed a lot of the functionality that is SimConnect driven should work well as it stands, but there's a lot more stuff that won't work well. For example,  I wouldn't trust STB to edit simulator configuration files right now, and I doubt STBServer dll plugin would work either.

Once STB is finished, I'd expect it to be using the V4 client as that's the only way to access new functionality in the simulator.

Thanks
Simon

Same here Simon. Mine connects too but it says something about Virtual Cockpit and the depart now feature doesn't work. It'll do for now. 

Don't think you'll have to make too many changes to get something rudimentary out of the door.

Good morning, if it is added:
LoadAIVirtualCockpit = 1 in SIM
It works perfect
Greetings.

41 minutes ago, quasar07 said:

Good morning, if it is added:
LoadAIVirtualCockpit = 1 in SIM
It works perfect
Greetings.

This is correct.  The installer has a utility to do this automatically, however I'm not sure if the utility will work well with the UTF version of prepar3d.cfg.  One of many things to check, and I probably want this utility as part of the wizard or settings in the future rather than the installer.

2 hours ago, Mr_LoL said:

the depart now feature doesn't work.

This may be something to do with the new "My Documents" structure in V4, another thing to look at.

Many thanks for trying these things out and giving me a head start.

Simon,

As always I appreciate your efforts, and thank you for the true marvel we call STB.

Paul Racines

Hi Simon,

Haven't installed 4 yet so can't help yet but it is good to know you plan to support. Your professionalism and commitment to flight sim is commendable.

Cheers,
Clayton

Thanks all, so what news on progress?

• STB, STB-DS and STB Sim Plugin (STBServer.dll) are now all 64bit executables.
  • A brand new and comprehensive trace facility is implemented.
  • Projects redesigned to use .Net 4.6.2 as per LM recommendations.
  • Project updated to use the Prepar3D V4 SimConnect client.
  • Sample Add-On.xml files designed.

The big tasks remaining are:

• Building an infrastructure to discover what other add ons have registered with Prepar3D V4 via their own Add-On.xml
  • Updating the Settings Notebook and Install Wizard experiences to interact with the Prepare3D V4 infrastructure for both add-on.xml and the new UTF-16 configuration files.
  • Maybe implement the LM recommended SimConnect model using a background listener.

Roadblocks:

• STB has a dependency on Pete Dowson's MakeRwys utility, and this hasn't been updated to V4 yet.  It will work as is, but it won't understand any add-ons that deploy using Add-On.xml

More news as it breaks!

Simon

25 minutes ago, flying-w said:

Roadblocks:

• STB has a dependency on Pete Dowson's MakeRwys utility, and this hasn't been updated to V4 yet.  It will work as is, but it won't understand any add-ons that deploy using Add-On.xml

My understanding is that MakeRunways was out before FSUIPC 5, or does it need more work?

Thanks.  Perhaps I'm mistaken or I have old information, I'll go check.

Great News, Thanks for updating to P3DV4, I really enjoy having STB, especially if you get it to work with UTLive...

:-)

The airport compiler is now complete with an understanding of the new add-on.xml infrastructure.  The other big task is deployment wizard, moving on to that next.

Hey Simon

Is it possible to incorporate an option that stops ALL go arounds? If a plane hasn't cleared the runway in time even though spacing in sufficient it will go around. 

So as soon as STB sees "Delayed" it arrives now automatically.

On 03/07/2017 at 6:28 AM, Mr_LoL said:

Hey Simon

Is it possible to incorporate an option that stops ALL go arounds? If a plane hasn't cleared the runway in time even though spacing in sufficient it will go around. 

So as soon as STB sees "Delayed" it arrives now automatically.

I imagine I can handle that.  However ask me again when I've completed STB V4, there's just too much going on right now.  Shouldn't be long.....

Can we see the light at the end of the tunnel?  I think it's together enough to call it beta and let people take a look.  Not everything will work, but certainly most things.  I'll start installer testing tomorrow and then it's over to you.

The beta's have to be closely controlled to ensure quality is maintained, but I welcome anyone that wants to try it out.  All you need to be is an existing customer of STB for Prepar3D, any version.  If you are interested in receiving the beta, please contact me or post here!

Simon

-

I Would Like To Try The Beta I have a licence to STB For P3D.

Edited by gman6671

I also own a license for P3D v3 and would also like to test the beta 

OK, it didn't quite make it this weekend.  One of the tests involves installation into a P3D system devoid of other add-ons and that threw up some issues.  Testing a new installer tonight...