The simFlight Network Forums

Bug with KATL Terminal F gates

Avwriter

Although I listed this in my other thread of suggested fixes, this one is the only one that seriously impacts the gameplay, so I thought it would be a good idea to make a separate thread for it..  It appears that all of the gates at Terminal F are coded as small or medium size, when they should all be large size.  This prevents realistic operation of the airport.  Terminal F is the primary terminal for international flights at KATL, and most of the planes using it are larger ones (777s, A330s, A340s, 747s).  However, none of those aircraft will park at Terminal F.  Even if I go into the terminal file and assign all international flights to Terminal F, and remove DAL/SWA etc entirely, then Terminal F remains empty, and no international flights show up.  It is true that Terminal E is also used for some international flights, but this mostly overflow for when Terminal F is full.   If you would like a log file I will be happy to generate on, but this should be easily reproducible from your end. 

Andrew

17 minutes ago, Ty Jackson said:

Hey Avwriter,

I know this is really a response, but how do you assign Int'l flights to a particular terminal? I would like to assign all AA and F9 Int'l flights to Terminal A so that it's a little more realistic.

Hi Ty,

Well, you cannot specifically assign international flights to a terminal.  I was oversimplifying.  You can only do it by airline.  So with DAL, for example, you are still going to get some mixed domestic/international destinations at all the terminals where they are assigned.  However, you can assign foreign airlines to the international terminal, which helps a lot with the sense of realism, and you can certainly park all AA flights at Terminal A.  You can do this by editing the Terminal file (using notepad) in each airport's folder (see below).  Once you open the file, it is self-explanitory how to do it.   FeelThere/Tower3DPro/Extensions/Airfields/KATL/katl_terminal.

Best Regards

Andrew

Andrew,
Have you tried modifying the terminal file and changing Terminal_F to Terminal_F_N and Terminal_F_S? Not sure why Terminal F would be defined this way but you never know. 

Just an FYI, a version (i'm sure a development version and not a final version) of KATL is contained within the resource.assets file. Terminal_F is not defined at all. So, I don't know if this a bug or "creative license" (similar to excluding the main cargo area at LAX).

Craig

41 minutes ago, crbascott said:

Andrew,
Have you tried modifying the terminal file and changing Terminal_F to Terminal_F_N and Terminal_F_S? Not sure why Terminal F would be defined this way but you never know. 

Just an FYI, a version (i'm sure a development version and not a final version) of KATL is contained within the resource.assets file. Terminal_F is not defined at all. So, I don't know if this a bug or "creative license" (similar to excluding the main cargo area at LAX).

Craig

I don't know.  It really comes down to the gate sizes, as far as I can see.  I don't know where gate sizes are defined in the game (clearly not in the terminal file), but I am fairly sure that the game does differentiate between different gate sizes somehow.  There are definitely some gates at KLAX that will not handle heavies.  I am hoping that Vic will see this soon and chime in to clarify, and hopefully solve it. 

Andrew

Looking at the XML I don't really see anything that differentiates gate sizes other than maybe the width of the gate/taxiway - but that always seems to be set to 10 feet. In this case, I don't think size matters.

Did you try sending a smaller plane to Terminal F? What does the log file show for flights that should be going to Terminal F?  You should be seeing some error messages.

Craig

10 hours ago, crbascott said:

Looking at the XML I don't really see anything that differentiates gate sizes other than maybe the width of the gate/taxiway - but that always seems to be set to 10 feet. In this case, I don't think size matters.

Did you try sending a smaller plane to Terminal F? What does the log file show for flights that should be going to Terminal F?  You should be seeing some error messages.

Craig

Interesting.  Thanks for taking a look.  I appreciate you insight.  Smaller jets do go to F without issues.  Using the default RT schedule and default terminal file, it is mostly full of MD-80s, 737s,and the like, maybe the occasional 757.  If I take everything out of F except KAL,KLM,AFR and other carriers that only fly large aircraft into KATL, then the terminal is empty, and stays that way.  The same flights show up fine if I assign them to E.  Moreover, if  modify the schedule and change, for example KAL36 (an 773 that leaves in the 12:00 hour), to a CRJ, then it will show up at Terminal F without any problems (without a livery of course).

I would happily generate a log, but am having trouble getting the .bat file to work since reinstalling Windows a month or so ago.  Have tried get all the permissions set, but must be missing something, as it just flashes a black window for a second and disappears when I run it.  If you have any idea what I need to check, please do let me know.  I had it working before the reinstall, but do not recall what I did. 

Andrew

That means Terminal_F is definitely defined. But, there is obviously some issue in the airport setup on FeelThere's end that is causing an issue.

If you've given yourself full authority on all the folders and run the bat as admin I'm not sure what else you can do as far as getting a log file created..

Craig

On 02/06/2017 at 10:29 AM, Ty Jackson said:

Hey Avwriter,

I know this is really a response, but how do you assign Int'l flights to a particular terminal? I would like to assign all AA and F9 Int'l flights to Terminal A so that it's a little more realistic.

Easy,

What I do is give the int'l flights a different IATA & ICAO assignment. e.g. in Tower 2011, I assigned United int'l flights to ICAO UAH. & then assigned UAH to the appropriate terminal.

I kept the same callsigns. Also this works for cargo A/C i.e Cathay Pacific cargo flights are ICAO CPC IATA CY (from memory). I also change the call to CATHAY CARGO to remind me that it is going to the cargo terminal on landing.

A problem with Tower 3D is that a particular A/C may not have a RT colour so might appear white but it will go to the correct terminal.

Have a fiddle around with it.

Kev M

18 hours ago, 707FAN said:

Easy,

What I do is give the int'l flights a different IATA & ICAO assignment. e.g. in Tower 2011, I assigned United int'l flights to ICAO UAH. & then assigned UAH to the appropriate terminal.

I kept the same callsigns. Also this works for cargo A/C i.e Cathay Pacific cargo flights are ICAO CPC IATA CY (from memory). I also change the call to CATHAY CARGO to remind me that it is going to the cargo terminal on landing.

A problem with Tower 3D is that a particular A/C may not have a RT colour so might appear white but it will go to the correct terminal.

Have a fiddle around with it.

Kev M

Good Idea thanks, I'll have to try that out.

• 2 weeks later...