The simFlight Network Forums
Pete Dowson

IMPORTANT: MakeRunways and new Add-Ons structure

Version 4.82 of MakeRunways is released!

To deal with a P3D version 3 or 4 system with modern add-on scenery structures (as created by FSDT and FlightBeam, and probably more), please download install the freeware Add-On Organizer from 

https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/788-lorby-si-support-forum/

and install this.  Then download my updated MakeRunways, version 4.82. It will automatically find the AddOn Organizer in a special mode which generates a full SCENERY.CFG-style  file (called MakeRwys_scenery.cfg) which will be used to generate the files in the correct layer order.

Pete

Further to the information above, I fear it may not be enough. Sceneries compiled specifically for P3D4 and using new techniques specific to P3D4 may have airport data files using different formats to FSX and P3D1-3.  I have no information about this format.

Furthermore, I don't have any P3D4-only sceneries here, so I can only at present test with P3D3 or earlier sceneries recompiled using the P3Dv4 compiler. Handily ADE 1.75 already handles this. It cannot decode P3D4 format, but by dcompiling P3D3 files and recompiling using the P3D4 compiler I hav worked out how to extract the information needed from a P3Dv3 scenery file recompiled using the P3Dv4 compiler. As I wrote above, whether it will cope correctly with Sceneries specifically developed for P3Dv4 using P3Dv4 tools I don't know, but if please do try it -- version 4.82 or later, from the Download Links subforum, or from the Schiratti site.

If there are any problems with specific BGLs, please do send me them (just the AFD BGL) so I can see what's up. (petedowson@btconnect.com).

Pete

Hi Pete,

I know you're on holiday for a week but wanted to write this whilst it was fresh in my mind.

I have MakeRwys 4.8.2.0 and 1.02 of Lorby's Addon Organiser. I have 11 FSDreamTeam and FlightBeam airports but when MakeRwys generates its own MakeRwys_scenery.cfg those entries include \scenery.

The downside of this is that programs like EFB won't find the scenery as it looks for a \scenery subfolder in the supplied path. Lorby doesn't think this should be happening but it is. I have to remove \scenery from those entries before EFB reads them correctly.

Any thoughts?

Hi Pete.

Not sure if this is related directly but will pass it on. I recently downloaded and installed ORBX Hammerfest for P3DV3 (not running V4 yet) and then ran MakeRwys. I use PF3, Plan-G and occasionally Radar Contact, which all use have databases that use MakeRwys output. Naturally I have the ORBX scenery installed above the P3D default Hammerfest scenery and after running MakeRwys, just out of curiosity, I viewed output files runways.csv and r4.csv. The ORBX Hammerfest airport/runway data did not appear in either file. Since I have the ORBX Germany North scenery installed which also includes Hammerfest I substituted that afcad for the Hammerfest scenery afcad and the correct data appeared in both output files. The difference in the afcad files is that the Germany North afcad shows the airport layout when viewed in ADE and the Hammerfest afcad does not. So this may be a case where a different format us used. I have attached both afcads for you to take a look at and also made a post on the ORBX forum about what I found.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jeff Grantham

ADE_FTX_NOR_ENHF.bgl

ENHF_ADEP2_FKH_P3D.bgl

12 minutes ago, jgrant66 said:

I recently downloaded and installed ORBX Hammerfest for P3DV3 (not running V4 yet) and then ran MakeRwys.

Have you installed the Lorby AddOnOrganizer, as instructed?

13 minutes ago, jgrant66 said:

Since I have the ORBX Germany North scenery installed which also includes Hammerfest

And was that installed before or after Orbx changed their installers to use the new P3D system?

Check the main P3D folder. Is there a "MakeRwys_Scenery.cfg" file there? If so, check that Hammerfest (the original, not your substitute) is listed as a scenery layer.

I'll see what I get here with your AFD BGLs.

Pete

34 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

I'll see what I get here with your AFD BGLs.

It looks like there are some other new data codes being used.  I did manage to analyse some of the later P3D AFD BGLs and sort out decoding for the latest MakeRunways, but evidentrly there are others.

The ones I did find were isolated by actaully decompiling an older one using ADE then compiling with the later BGL compilers and comparing the results. I'm not sure if that will work with these BGLs you've provided, as the ADE one looks to have been made by ADE in any case, so is unlikely to have anything really new in it. Do you see any difference in the resluts of trying the older one?

Either way, this is not a quick process. A lot of binary analysis is involved, and unfortunately I've got an extremely busy two weeks coming up. I'll make a note to look at this as and when I can, but I can make no promises. it might take a few weeks. If i cannot fit it in before August 23rd it will wait till mid-September as I'm away for three weeks.

If you see no MakeRunways updates in the meantime, and I don't get back to you beforehand, post another message -- a new thread would be better -- after Septrmber 15th.

Pete

Hi Pete

No problems with ORBX Sogndal, Innsbruck and San Diego purchased on the same order as Hammerfest. Don't know if ORBX has done anything different for Bilbao and Kern Valley since I have not purchased them yet. No problem with a delay in resolving the issue. I'll repost if necessary.

Jeff

8 hours ago, jgrant66 said:

No problems with ORBX Sogndal, Innsbruck and San Diego purchased on the same order as Hammerfest. Don't know if ORBX has done anything different for Bilbao and Kern Valley since I have not purchased them yet. No problem with a delay in resolving the issue. I'll repost if necessary.

For the recent version I did actually modify MakeRunways to handle all the codes it needed after de-compiling an FSX-SE style ADF using ADE and the recompiling it using the P3D tools. This makes ADE reject the file as incorrect format, which is understandable as ADE has not been changed to decode them yet.

By comparing one with the other I was able to decode them. There are a number of new data ID codes for basically the same structures, but with additional data -- luckily only at the ends of the new structures. So it was only a matter of my code setting the correct length for the new ID codes. I didn't try decoding the additional data as I was extracting all that MakeRunways needed..

But I did the same with the older Hammerfest ADF you supplied, and the recompiled one loaded into ADE as an empty file! At least, no scenery elements decoded.

So there is something rather different in the newer Hammerfest one. Are you seeing any difference visually, other than possibly better textures (which aren't in the province of the ADF)?

Pete

Hi Pete.

After my last post to you I made another post on the ORBX forum further explaining the lack of output from MakeRwys for Hammerfest and got this response from 'Finni' the Hammerfest developer:

"Due to the curved runway, the entire airport is made out of a single 3d mesh. Thus you will not find any taxiways etc in the afcad. Only the tower, runway and one parking spot.
Regards,
Finni, the developer of Hammerfest "

Using that information I checked the Hammerfest scenery folder and saw 3 possible mesh files. However, I'm not sure I should send them to you without ORBX's permission. Give me your thoughts on that.

In any case it sounds like things are getting more complicated.

Jeff

2 hours ago, jgrant66 said:

Using that information I checked the Hammerfest scenery folder and saw 3 possible mesh files.

Sorry, I'm really not going to start trying to analyse mesh files.  Maybe they can supply a tool to extract the same information as you'd get from a normal AFCAD?

Pete

Hi Pete.

Don't blame you for not wanting to deal with mesh files. I'm a simple user. Anything further that ORBX can possibly provide is beyond my pay grade. Thanks for a great tool otherwise.

Jeff

4 hours ago, jgrant66 said:

Anything further that ORBX can possibly provide is beyond my pay grade.

Actually, I was thinking of a tool for MakeRwys and ADE to be able to use, something which provides an easily readable decode.

Pete

Hi, I tried to use the MakeRunways 4.83  to generate MakeRwys_Scenery.CFG, however, the scenery file contains no scenery at all. My original scenery contains 100s sceneries.  Can you please help.  

[General]
Title=Prepar3D Scenery
Description=Prepar3D Scenery Areas Data
Clean_on_Exit=TRUE

[Area.001]
Title=

8 hours ago, nicboy said:

Hi, I tried to use the MakeRunways 4.83  to generate MakeRwys_Scenery.CFG, however, the scenery file contains no scenery at all. My original scenery contains 100s sceneries.

Show me the runways.txt file from the main P3D folder please.

Do you have the latest version of AddOnOrganizer installed.

Pete

Don't know if this helps or not, but I put a copy of my scenery.cfg file in the main P3Dv4 dir and ran MakeRunways. It went thru the process of finding all the runways. Have had no issues so far with it.

Hello pete  I am new on here  am having an issue with Makerunways..  it doesn't seem to search my fsx..  I have seen variouse discussions on this  but there is a difference with mine   each press of makerunways .exe  takes a millisecond and with the same result   1 airport and 10 runways. I know its not your software however it has only been happenince since I uptated it

scenery.cfg

On 11/9/2017 at 7:09 PM, Gav Shaw said:

I am new on here  am having an issue with Makerunways..  it doesn't seem to search my fsx..  I have seen variouse discussions on this  but there is a difference with mine   each press of makerunways .exe  takes a millisecond and with the same result   1 airport and 10 runways. I know its not your software however it has only been happenince since I uptated it

I need to see the Runways.txt file which you will find next to MakeRunways in your FS folder.

Pete

Hello Pete,

I have used MakeRunways before with FSX successfully, thank you for the useful free app. Now I use P3Dv4 and the parameter 'ThresholdOffset' seems to always be 0. Everything else is working so far. Any ideas ?

Peter