The simFlight Network Forums
kwind0910

Sometimes wrong AI Plane shown when selecting View AI

I have seen this previously in Prepar3D V3 - and now using Prepar3D V4 . I followed  and validated the instructions to get the latest version of SuperTraffiBoard with V4. However, it will not show the correct AI plane sometimes when selecting. There does not seem to be a pattern of correct AI planes vs not correct being displayed. I am using default/shared models and schedules. (Also saw this happening when using My Traffic with V3).

In addition, I have gotten Prepar3D to crash by double clicking planes on the board somewhat rapidly - one after the other - is that a known issue of going from one AI plane to another - and crashing after the 5th one or so.

The only time that I have seen this happen in P3d V3 is when the user aircraft itself was using a View shortcut key that overlapped with STB. For example, the RealAir Turbine Duke did this and the only way to make STB work properly with that airplane was to edit the airplane's camera definition settings  in aircraft.cfg and delete the  references to any shortcut keys. As to V4, I was under the impression that the AI views may or may not work correctly. There's another active thread here about that issue.

This problem of sometimes seeing the wrong aircraft is a legacy from FSX that has continued in all subsequent projects using that original code basis.  It's a reflection of weakness in the API, STB has to switch the main view to "AI aircraft", then send in (potentially many) "next object" commands to try to find the AI the user wishes to see.  We have to work out the number of commands by getting a list of AI, sorting and searching it.  There are occasions where the list we are given from the simulator does not seem to match what is going on in the simulator, and that's when are problems begin to manifest.

I will continue to look for a better API, but a better alternative is the "enhanced camera views" available with STB V3 for Prepar3D and onwards. It's likely to be the same siutation in V4, but something else seems to be broken with that right now.  Early days yet.

Simon