The simFlight Network Forums

About substrings in profile names

Hi Pete - 

In my fsuipc5.ini I have:

ShortAircraftNameOk=Substring

I'm puzzled because in the profile below, each time I changed a/c I had to assign the axis again. I would have expected that the Lockheed Electra and the Carenado 500S would have been already picked up due to the substring. Obviously I am misunderstanding something. As I type this I thought of something to try -  I will manually edit the list and truncate the lines to only Lockheed Electra and Carenado 500S without the added ID etc.

ShortAircraftNameOk=Yes

with just Lockheed Electra and Carenado 500S in the profile, when I loaded a different paint of the a/c - I had to apply the profile again.

with just Electra and 500S in the list - still had to manually apply the profile.

I guess I'm just getting dense in my dotage.  :)

Thanx,

Vic

[Profile.Twin Piston yoke]
1=Baron
8=Lockheed Electra 10A-MCA
2=Lockheed Electra 10A-Aeroput YU-SAZ
3=Carenado 500S Aero Commander C-GAFA
4=Carenado 500S Aero Commander N120ET
5=Lockheed Electra 10A-Spanish
6=Alabeo C404 TITAN WHITE

1 hour ago, vgbaron said:

I'm puzzled because in the profile below, each time I changed a/c I had to assign the axis again. I would have expected that the Lockheed Electra and the Carenado 500S would have been already picked up due to the substring. Obviously I am misunderstanding something.

The facility means that YOU can just supply the substring.  with a name like "Lockheed Electra 10A-MCA" then it will match any aircraft with that somewhere in the name. But that's the whole substring

ShortAircraftNameOk=Yes

with just Lockheed Electra and Carenado 500S in the profile, when I loaded a different paint of the a/c - I had to apply the profile again.

Really? Something is wrong then. 

with just Electra and 500S in the list - still had to manually apply the profile.

Well, I'l do some new testing here. Nothing there has changed for many years and is has worked fine here for that time. It'll be tomorrow now though.

Mind you, my installations using Profiles are all for FSUIPC3 and FSUIPC4. Maybe it is something to do with the conversion to 64-bit. (I don't really use P3D4 yet. I still need some more facilities).

Have you ever used the facilities in FSUIPC4 at all? I know you aren't new to simming or to FSUIPC! It would be a little less of a problem here doing investigations if you mention such things, like "this used to work in FSUIPC4, but not now in FSUIPC5" rather than just blaming it on old age. (I am 74 this year, but i have to figure these things out in my "dotage"! ;-))

Pete

Hi,

P3Dv4 and in FSUIPC5.ini file ShortAircraftNameOk=Substring

Throttle axis assigned to profile Twin Piston

[Profile.Twin Piston]
1=Lockheed Electra 10A
2=Beech Baron 58

[Axes.Twin Piston]
RangeRepeatRate=10
0=AS,256,F,65697,0,0,0 -{ TO SIM: THROTTLE_SET }-

Works correct as it should, any version of that starts with Lockheed Electra 10A and any version of Beech Baron 58 that starts with the corresponding string.

If you shorten the strings of the aircraft names to the minimum you want to identify and use then that will work for you as well.

Thomas

2 hours ago, Thomas Richter said:

Works correct as it should, any version of that starts with Lockheed Electra 10A and any version of Beech Baron 58 that starts with the corresponding string.

If you shorten the strings of the aircraft names to the minimum you want to identify and use then that will work for you as well.

With the "substring" setting it should   also work for those with, say, just Electra and Baron too. That's how my 737 matches Boeing 737 and PMDG 737. Just not Boeing 738, say.

With "ShortAircraftNameOk=Yes" the abbreviation is from the start, but with substring can occur anywhere in the full name. Even just an E or a C would match both Electra and Beech, though obviously it wouldn't be sensible to choose such a shoort substring.

I'll double check in the morning.

Pete

Sorry, Vic, but I can't make it go wrong at all.

I have created these profiles:

[Profile.B73x]
1=73

[Profile.Carenado]
1=Carenado

[Profile.King Air]
1=King Air

[Profile.Lockheed]
1=Lockheed

With any of my 737's or 738's loaded (starting name iFly, Prosim, Boeing) the B73x profile is selected.
With the Carenado A36 loaded the Carenado profile is the one.
With the Beech King Air selected, the King Air profile is selected.
With any Lockheed the Lockheed profile is loaded.

If I change the option to ShortAircraftNameOk=Yes then only the Carenado and Lockhheed ones get selected, the other aircraft are then profile free, as expected.

Maybe there's something wrong with your INI: possibly duplicated section names? Best post it here so I can look.

Pete

Thanx Pete!  Here you go.

Vic

FSUIPC5.ini

EDIT: Got it working!   got to thinking - went through the INI file and did some housekeeping - there WERE some ambiguous substrings that could have gone to different profiles.

found two strange things though

1) if I manually enter Lockheed Electra as the substring, it does not work but if I add the axis assignment through FSUIPC and THEN edit the string to show Lockheed Electra - it works. I went through all the problem a/c - added them thru FSUIPC interface and just cut the portions of the strings - worked like a charm. FWIW, I use Notepad++ as my editor and it says DOS ANSI as format.

2) I have several entries like this

[Profile.Single Turbo stick]
1=Single Turbo stick

[Profile.Single Turbo Yoke]
1=Single Turbo Yoke

where there is a profile name followed by the #1 entry showing the name of the profile - not the name of the a/c.  These occur in profiles for which I have no a/c assigned yet. If I delete them - they return so FSUIPC is adding them. Possibly designed that way, I just don't recall ever seeing it before.

Anyhow, thanx for pointing me in the right direction - got it working the way I want.

2 hours ago, vgbaron said:

If I delete them - they return so FSUIPC is adding them.

Delete them when FS is NOT running I hope. As an index of profiles is read initially and maintained in memory. Maybe that's what you are seeing happen?

Also, just deleting the Profile section itself does not destroy it in any case if there are any sections carrying that profile name (Buttons, Keys, Axes, Calibrations).

You can edit buttons, keys, calibrations, axes, and just use the "reload" buttons in the appropriate tab to get FSUIPC to see them -- or not even that, if they are for a profile not currently in use. But you can't do this with the profiles themselves. The index is preloaded for speed in searching when you load a new aircraft, and is especially important if using "UseProfiles=Files" as then there are multiple files involved.

Pete

Always when FS is not running. I don't delete the profile entry just the line 1=XXXXXX.  It doesn't seem to be a problem just wondered why it would be added like that. I have noticed that once a legitimate a/c assignment is in place the added 1=xxxxxxx doesn't come back when deleted but it will stay there if not deleted.

Thanx,

Vic