The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC5 Installer crashes

5 hours ago, Adamski said:

When I run that, I get the correct/full path, but without the trailing triple periods that you see when you lookup the entry in regedit. I'll see what it looks like in another registry editor - see if those periods are just a display oddity.

Can you try that with HKLM instead, because it's when I try that first you are getting the crash.

And, yes, I don't see your ... in regedit here

OK ... here's the batch file code (you can try it on your system too):

@echo off
echo.
REM echo Checking Prepar3d V4 location.
reg query "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d v4" /v AppPath >nul 2>nul
for /f "tokens=2*" %%a in ('REG QUERY "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d v4" /v AppPath') DO SET "P3Dv4_Path_HKCU=%%b"
echo ------------------
echo HKCU: %P3Dv4_Path_HKCU%
echo ------------------

reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4" /v SetupPath >nul 2>nul
for /f "tokens=2*" %%a in ('REG QUERY "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4" /v SetupPath') DO SET "P3Dv4_Path_HKLM=%%b"
echo HKLM: %P3Dv4_Path_HKLM%
echo ------------------

pause

When run, I get two identical paths:

H:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\

So far so good ... BUT ...

I ran "Regalyzer" which, unusually, appears to break down the keys in HKLM into 64-bit and 32-bit sections. The 64-bit section seems to be the active one (with my latest SDK entry etc. in there) but I have similar keys in the 32-bit section (but missing paths for Add-on Scenery and the SDK). Weird.

The other oddity is that the 32-bit key uses "setuppath" whilst the 64-bit key uses "SetupPath". Can case be important? Both *values* of the key are the same (path), however. I edited the batch file for both spellings and both returned the correct path.

I have to say I'm *way* out of my depth here, so you might be on your own!

Adam.

29 minutes ago, Adamski said:

When run, I get two identical paths:

Strange that in the Installer I can get the HKCU one but not the HKLM one -- says it isn't there (it is) on my system and crashes on yours. All I did in the later instakker is reverse the order of HKCU/HKLM (and of course the parameter names.

Even odder is that it works fine for the FSUIPC4 Installer with exactly the same code.

32 minutes ago, Adamski said:

The other oddity is that the 32-bit key uses "setuppath" whilst the 64-bit key uses "SetupPath". Can case be important?

No, I don't think the captitalisation matters.

33 minutes ago, Adamski said:

I have to say I'm *way* out of my depth here, so you might be on your own!

Well the results are not logical. So they are "out of everyone's depth" I think. I'm just glad there's a work-around.

I might try to build a 64-bit version of the Installer, just to see if that makes any difference, though it shouldn't -- the registry entries are the same, the P3D3 ones are right next door!

Thanks for your investigations, nevertheless.

Pete

Thanks, Pete. Out of interest (it's all news to me):
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/305097/how-to-view-the-system-registry-by-using-64-bit-versions-of-windows

Maybe there's some mixup in the installer between the two versions of the HKLM keys (64/32-bit)? It does seem a coincidence that it's the HKLM path that's going weird.

Adam.

4 minutes ago, Adamski said:

Maybe there's some mixup in the installer between the two versions of the HKLM keys (64/32-bit)? It does seem a coincidence that it's the HKLM path that's going weird.

I know about the WOW6432Node business, but that's supposed to be hadled automatically by Windows.

Pete

5 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

but that's supposed to be handled automatically by Windows.

There's our problem, then LOL!!! I'd still be keen to hear if anyone else out there shares my problem. I can't be the only one, Shirley?

Adam.

1 hour ago, Adamski said:

I'd still be keen to hear if anyone else out there shares my problem. I can't be the only one, Shirley?

No. If you look back this thread was started by a Kevin which had the Installer crash too.

I've now built a 64-bit version of the Installer, and that works either way -- HKLM then HKCU or vice versa, as does the FSUIPC4 installer.

I just hope that's the answer. 64-bit installers for 64-bit programs. Never thought it was needed.

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Dowson said:

I just hope that's the answer. 64-bit installers for 64-bit programs. Never thought it was needed.

It's not needed, but a 32-bit app will automatically read from the WOW32Node unless you explicitly force it to read from the 64-bit registry. I don't know what will happen if you attempt that call on a 32-bit version of Windows, but that's something the installer can check for and avoid.

Cheers!

Luke

On 14/07/2017 at 11:00 AM, Pete Dowson said:

The installer can be run from anywhere in the same PC as your P3D installation. It absolutely does not care where it is -- it doesn't refer to its own location at all, except that it does store a copy of its log file there as well as in the target Sim's Modules folder (but it doesn't even need to know where it is to do that).

It does need access to the Registry and, of course, to the P3D folders.  Running it in Admin mode will ensure that is possible, though normally Windows will automatically run anything with "Setup" or "Install" in the name in that mode -- as it does with ".msi" files.

The crash with error code C0000005 is an access violation, and from the address in the crash details it is somewhere in a standard Windows library, one compiled into the Installer and which works for everyone else. To understand where it might be in my own code I'd need to see the Log file it produced so far, so I can see what it was attempting to do at the time. The log file will be in the same place as the Installer program itself.

The Installer for FSUIPC5 is a 32-bit program, and in fact is identical in every way to the Installer for FSUIPC4 and its code has not been changed at all except that it looks in a slightly different place in the Registry to get the P3D path, and of course the content of what it installs into the Modules folder is not identical, being the 64-bit versions. There's no difference between the installer for 5.102 and 5.103 except for the FSUIPC5.DLL module.

Going back to your original problem, there are two possible reasons there might be two copies of FSUIPC loaded:

1. The previous session of P3D (or FSX or FSX-SE) had not fully terminated. It might not be listed in the applications list in Task Manager, only in the Processes list. This is the most common problem. There are quite a lot of reasons why previous sessions do not always disappear completely.

2. It is being loaded twice by SimConnect. That would need checking in the DLL.XML files. (Note that there are now TWO of those, on in the Users Roaming AppData folder and one in the main ProgramData folder. Having it in both or twice in one would be the "already running" error when the second was loaded).

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the reply. The problem is when the installer crashes it doesn't produce a log file, so I can't send you a copy.

With previous versions I've been able to run the installer from another drive on my PC (where I keep backups of all installers), or the desktop after a download. I just tried running the installer again and get the same problems.

Installer crashes if I run it from a different drive to P3D.

Installer crashes if I run it from desktop or downloads folders (and probably from any folder in my User area).

Installer works successfully if run from an ordinary folder on C drive (but doesn't produce an install log file there). The install log file is in the P3Dv4 modules folder. The only thing of interest in there is that I can see is it can't find a SimConnect.XML file. The log says "this is okay" but is it normal?

Something fails very early in the installer process after it starts looking for the P3D registry entry and the install path. I've attached a screenshot of this. Obviously installing from a standard folder on the same drive is a workaround, but it's odd that all my other FSX and P3D addon installers run from anywhere on my system, and when I initially ran the installer for version 5.102 from my desktop it worked prefectly. Could it be related to running the installer when FSUIPC is already present?

Thanks

Kevin

fsuipc5 crash.jpg

15 minutes ago, kevinh said:

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the reply. The problem is when the installer crashes it doesn't produce a log file, so I can't send you a copy.

You seem to have just sent a repeat of an older message, superseded now by many others. I suggest you go basck and browse through the thread and see what you appear to have missed.

Pete

23 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

You seem to have just sent a repeat of an older message, superseded now by many others. I suggest you go basck and browse through the thread and see what you appear to have missed.

Pete

Yes I'm sorry, I should have read all the other posts. But it wasn't actually a repeat of my earlier post.

I'm glad you've found the cause of the problem and look forward to being able to download the 64 bit installer.

Thanks for your support

Kevin