The simFlight Network Forums

CH Flight Sim Yoke calibration issue

I have been using my yoke for a few years and recently it has been failing to correctly process aileron inputs-specifically it appears to not recognize left aileron movement and was aslo failing to allow engagement of LNAV when using the iFly737.  I installed the 4.969 version of FSUIPC and reassigned axes and re-calibrated.  On a test flight with an FSX default Lear 45 the initial flight control check left aileron command produced a rapid fluctuation of the on-screen yoke (in VC view) from centered to full left. I decided to test fly and the autopilot functions were fine but ion final approach whn AP was switched off the aircraft made a very fast right roll and manual control was squirrely-either no action or over-reaction to yoke input.

I am wondering if it could simply be a worn out/defective sending unit in the yoke but thought I would post for advice.

Thank you

FSUIPC4.JoyScan.csv

8 hours ago, Roger C said:

have been using my yoke for a few years and recently it has been failing to correctly process aileron inputs-specifically it appears to not recognize left aileron movement

Left and right aileron is a single axis, so there's no difference as far as assgnment and recognition goes. So either your yoke has become defective, or you have lost calibration. Do the "IN" numbers in the Axis assignments tab vary over the whole movement of the stick? If so, try recalibrating it.

and was aslo failing to allow engagement of LNAV when using the iFly737.

Sorry, do you mean the yoke position was such as to make LNAV diengage? That would imply either a very (very) bad jitter, or a complete lack of proper central (neutral zone) calibration.

On a test flight with an FSX default Lear 45 the initial flight control check left aileron command produced a rapid fluctuation of the on-screen yoke (in VC view) from centered to full left.

That is called "spiking" and is a sign of dirt in the control, or possibly a dead zone on the potentiometer. When the 'wiper' hits that the impedance goes very high very suddenly and the reading is converted into one extreme or the other. There are spike elimination options in the Miscellaneous tab which you could try, or you could attempt to clean the innards of your control (electrical switch cleaner is very good). Otherwise it sounds time for replacement.

CH do offer servicing for their devices, if you can find one of their depots or agents which do such things. I remember when I had a CH yoke and the action got very stiff I took it down to a place in Shrewsbury which cleaned it up and replaced the "collar", for a nominal fee.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Pete:

I apologize for failing to respond before this.  It is very much appreciated that you (as usual) responded so quickly and thoroughly to a user concern. 

I did try eliminating spiking via the Misc. tab and it helped a bit.  I also recalibrated but the problem did not disappear and does appear to be a defect in the yoke itself.  I opened it up, looked around a bit and tried cleaning contacts.

None of this solved the problem and I verified that it was the yoke by plugging in my backup flight stick (why I did not think to do that initially is why I would never have made a good engineer), calibrating it thru FSUIPC and gaining full control with no jitter.  So it will be joystick for a bit while I search for a new yoke...at least it gets me flying again!

Once more-thank you for taking the time to address my issue and for your spot-on assessment and advice.  It is clear why you are a legend in this community.

Roger