The simFlight Network Forums

Cannot Open FSUIPC5 pdf Files

Hello,

I get an error when I try to open any of the pdf documents supplied with FSUIPC5.  Acrobat Reader claims that the file type is wrong or damaged.  Obviously it would have to be the latter.  My next step was to try rerunning the installer, but I get a message the FSUIPC is already installed.  Since I could find no reference in the Windows Add/Remove Program utility, I just deleted the Modules folder in P3DV4 and ran C Cleaner.  Still no luck; I can't reinstall. I would like to try to download the installer again and see if that takes care of the corruption problem. But first I must clear remnants from the registry, I guess.  However, I'm not about to go poking around there with my limited knowledge.

Can anyone help, please?

Thank you,

Tom

5 hours ago, murfman said:

I get an error when I try to open any of the pdf documents supplied with FSUIPC5.  Acrobat Reader claims that the file type is wrong or damaged. 

Strange. What size are they, as shown in Windows Explorer? There was a problem with one relese of the installer where the files were being installed with 0 length.  You are using the latest version, I hope, FSUIPC 5.11?

My next step was to try rerunning the installer, but I get a message the FSUIPC is already installed.

Re-running the installer ALWAYS installs again. It would only refuse to replace a LATER version of FSUIPC with an older one, but it ALWAYS installs all of the other files, including those in FSUIPC Documents.

Maybe you should show me the FSUIPC Insall Log file, which shows exactly what it does. There's no message at all saying it won't install again because it is already installed. That sounds like an installer for some different program altogether!

Since I could find no reference in the Windows Add/Remove Program utility, I just deleted the Modules folder in P3DV4

If you ever read much of the documentation supplied you would see that FSUIPC and its parts are ALL only contained in that Modules folder. no where else.

Still no luck; I can't reinstall.

Why? Where's the log file from the Installer. Nothing you've said makes sense at al I'm afriad. nothing of what you said relates in any way to the Installer I supply.

But first I must clear remnants from the registry, I guess.

FSUIPC doesn't have any entruy in the Registry. It's a very simply install, into the Modules folder and no where else. It couldn't be simpler in fact. The ONLY other file affected is the DLL.XML file where it adds an entry to tell Simconnect to load it.

Without seeing the log, which is produced speficially to help me answer such strange questions as yours, I cannot really help fursther at all. As I said, nothing you say seems to relate to any software of mine!

Pete

Dear Pete,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the frustration I caused you and my sincere thanks for the effort to deal with my problem.  It turns out that the problem was a corrupt download.  It was that simple.

To satisfy any further curiosity you may have about my situation, I have included a zipped file containing two screen shots and my current and earlier install log files.  One of the screenshots shows the pdf error report, and the other shows my module folder just to prove to you that I had the proper pdf files, even though I couldn't open them.

15 hours ago, murfman said:

My next step was to try rerunning the installer, but I get a message that FSUIPC is already installed.

My not remembering accurately what the dialog box actually said.  I can only attribute it to late-night delirium. : )

Thanks again for your efforts!

Kind Regards,

Tom

FSUIPC5 files.rar