The simFlight Network Forums

Zoom Resetting

Hi Dave,

Been using FSUIPC and P3Dv4 for a while now with my setup and recently bought the full version so I could wrangle some better button assignments. All this week though I've had an issue when in the air (and only in the air) that the zoom keeps resetting every couple of minutes.

1. closed down connecting applications in turn to try isolate
  2. turned on logging in FSUIPC
  3. Removed FSUIPC from sim

When I removed FSUIPC from the sim I no longer had any issues. I also use Little NavMap and FightConnect for P3D, both of these were turned off during step 1 and the issue was stil reproducing.

I turned on logging for FSUIPC https://pastebin.com/E18VkkvT and thought I'd found something. Each time it happened I would pause the sim so I could read in the log where it happened:

249328 KEYDOWN: VK=80, Waiting=0, Repeat=N, Shifts=0
   249328 .. Key not programmed -- passed on to FS
   249328 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65561 (0x00010019), Param= 0 (0x00000000) PAUSE_TOGGLE

I thought A HA! VK=80 would always appear just before my PAUSE_TOGGLE event... but then I later realised that VK=80 is the P key...

So I removed FSUIPC from the modules directory and no longer had the zoom reset issue.

Of interest, this only happens whilst in Flight. I can sit and taxii on the ground for ages and have no issues.

I am using the LDR Grumman Mallard from SimOutHouse and am unsure if it is affecting other craft but I guess I will have to load one of the default aircraft and see if it happens there too. However it is worth noting that this has only started happening after I registered.

Config file attached and log file extract in pastebin https://pastebin.com/E18VkkvT

Hope you can help.

FSUIPC5.ini

3 hours ago, OzWookiee said:

Been using FSUIPC and P3Dv4 for a while now with my setup and recently bought the full version so I could wrangle some better button assignments. All this week though I've had an issue when in the air (and only in the air) that the zoom keeps resetting every couple of minutes.

1. closed down connecting applications in turn to try isolate
  2. turned on logging in FSUIPC
  3. Removed FSUIPC from sim

When I removed FSUIPC from the sim I no longer had any issues. I also use Little NavMap and FightConnect for P3D, both of these were turned off during step 1 and the issue was stil reproducing.

Well, FSUIPC has no built-in Zoom operations, nor does it do any user actions at all if not programmed to.

A registered install is the same as an unregistered one as far as external applications are concerned, though. And they can do many things via FSUIPC.

Registration also enables the operation of Lua plug-ins, which can be auto-loaded and started, but again, you have to program that.

3 hours ago, OzWookiee said:

I am using the LDR Grumman Mallard from SimOutHouse and am unsure if it is affecting other craft but I guess I will have to load one of the default aircraft and see if it happens there too.

Yes, these things are often an add-on aircraft effect.

I see from the INI file that you have checked absolutely all logging options:

WideLuaGlobals=Yes
DebugLua=Yes
LogWeather=Yes
LogWrites=Yes
LogReads=Yes
LogEvents=Yes
LogLua=Yes
LogAxes=Yes
LogButtonsKeys=Yes
LogExtras=Yes

That really is NOT a good idea, as it will produce an overwhelming log which would be very difficult and time consuming to find out what is going on!  So, instead of analysing it fully I just searched on the word ZOOM. The only ZOOM changes were all instigated by button operation, 

142437 Button changed: bRef=0, Joy=3 (D), Btn=1, Pressed
       142437 [Buttons] 7=PD,1,C65550,0
       142437 FS Control Sent: Ctrl=65550, Param=0 ZOOM_1X
       142437 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65550 (0x0001000e), Param= 0 (0x00000000) ZOOM_1X

and

207312 Button changed: bRef=0, Joy=3 (D), Btn=5, Pressed
   207312 [Buttons] 1=PD,5,C65655,0
   207312 FS Control Sent: Ctrl=65655, Param=0 ZOOM_IN
   207312 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65655 (0x00010077), Param= 0 (0x00000000) ZOOM_IN

These assignments are to a Joystick "D" (your yoke), buttons 1 and 5 respectively, asassigned here:

6=PD,4,C65656,0     -{ZOOM_OUT}-
7=PD,1,C65550,0     -{ZOOM_1X}-
So both ZOOM actions were due to programmed button actions!

Pete

Hey thanks for the quick reply. 

I turned on all logging options in order to see if it was some other function other than a key or button press that was causing it, which is why I was pressing pause immediately after the event so I could see all the events between each pause. Yes it makes it hard to go through but given I had a start and end point to go through it seemed logical enough to do that given the unknown of how it is occurring. 

The Zoom In/Out are bound to keys on the yoke but they are the same kind of zoom as using the +/- keys. The event I am trying to describe is "resetting" the zoom as I usually zoom out a couple of times from default to something more comfortable for me. 

I'll try it in a couple of default p3d planes to see if I have the same issue and will report back. 

Thanks for your time. 

4 minutes ago, OzWookiee said:

The event I am trying to describe is "resetting" the zoom as I usually zoom out a couple of times from default to something more comfortable for me. 

Best to do that then save it like that as your default flight. Then it will be reloaded that way each time.

I am using 3 outside view windows to make a 220 degree FOV on a curved screen, and that uses software to straighten the image (projectors are designed to distort the real image to make it work correctly on a flat screen).

Each of the three has to have a precisely pre-set ZOOM so that the overlaps can be blended correctly (to make it all seamless), and ensure that looking directly left and right does show the correct parts of the scenery 180 degrees apart. Those settings are always loaded at the start. All other flights are then made from that starting one.

Pete

Hey Pete,

OK So here is what I have tested.

1. Did a flight in the Alabeo Extra 300s Halcones (first plane in the default list of aircraft for P3Dv4. Zoom thing happened.
  2. Did a flight in the LDR Grumman Mallard (non default aircraft). Zoom thing happened

So I then turned off FSUIPC by uninstalling it

1. Did a flight in the Alabeo Extra 300s Halcones (first plane in the default list of aircraft for P3Dv4. Zoom thing did not happened.
  2. Did a flight in the LDR Grumman Mallard (non default aircraft). Zoom thing did not happened

My next test will be to do the same flights with FSUIPC installed but unregistered.

On 10/7/2017 at 5:44 AM, OzWookiee said:

Curious. After re-registering, performing a flight and re-configuring all the custom buttons, it's not happening.....

Seems that something you had set previously was doing it, but the logs you supplied certainly did not show anything which was not provoked by a definite button press. I can only think that you had some initial setup which imitated that button 9eg possibly by a n INI paramer or a Lua plug-in, or even an external app or internal add-on).

There wasno "initial" button press parameters in your INI file, so it must have been something else. Msaybe one of the buttons reads as being "pressed" when initialised.

Why not compare your new FSUIPC5.INI file with the one yo posted here earlier, see what differences there are?

Pete