The simFlight Network Forums

KLGA Released for Tower

Sky King

Haven't had too much time with it but I like it.  It is a fairly simple airport in terms of number of runways but it has been fun.  Real Traffic has already been updated for it, though I had to write Nygeres to reset my password.  They answered very quickly.  Jeff

Thank Jeff,

That helps.  I feel like KLGA should fill a much needed slot in the Tower3D line up: an airport that is a lot less KATL or KJFK, but more complex than KSAN, and with a taxiway layout that offers more options for moving planes around.  Do you notice any differences in SimSmith's visual design/feel as compared to the style/quality of the FeelThere made airports?  Just asking since this is the 1st 3rd party airport.

Andrew

I think LGA is the perfect size...busy enough with crossing runways yet you're not panning the view over a huge amount of real estate, constantly zooming in and out. I noticed a little bit of image stutter on departing aircraft as they  passed midfield and with a GTX 1080Ti card with 11 Gb, I'm surprised. I run Ghost Recon Wildlands on Ultra with 60+ fps, smooth as glass. From an operational standpoint, I had an a/c depart on 31 with a guy landing on 4 instructed to hold short of 31 due to crossing traffic. The 4 lander acknowledged but I still got a conflict penalty out of it.

These are the settings I'm using with an Asus PG278-QR  monitor (27")

Fullscreen
2560x1440@165Hz
Texture Resolution-High
Shadow Quality-Medium
Antialising-DLAA
Chromatic and Vignette-On...WHAT DOES THIS DO?
Sunshafts-Off
Depth of Field-Off
Reflections-Off
SSAO-On
Bloom-Off

I'd like to see what others are using for the best visual performance, along with comments  on the various options and their significance.

Could someone with Real Color KLGA share the text of their klga_terminal file?  I am not yet ready to buy Real Color for this one, but realized that without it, I don't have a working terminal file, unless I reinstall my old Tower2011 with addon to get it.  Hate to pay 6.99 just for a text file.  

Andrew

First impressions:

Overall, it looks very nice.  It does a good job of capturing the atmosphere of KLGA, which is a small but very crowded and very busy field.  However, it is still in need of some polishing.  This is not surprising, since literally every airport released for Tower3D (including the default airports) has needed adjustments, and some still do. 

The good:  The airport looks great.  I love the close in buildings, though to my memory there are not quite so many tall buildings so close to the airport in real life.  The prison buildings on Riker's island also looked a bit too modern and fancy for reality.  I especially loved the way SimSmith designed the surrounding freeways and interchanges.  They look more detailed and complex than those we have seen in other Tower3D airports.  I also liked the way the auto cut-to scenes are zoomed in closer on the aircraft than they are in typical FeelThere releases.  The taxiway layout gives the controller some interesting choices for how to route aircraft, and I am glad to see that they did make the Marine Air Terminal fully functional.  This adds an interesting challenge being on the opposite side of the runway from the other terminals.  Finally, it looks gorgeous at night; very nicely done lighting.

The not so good:  Practical:   Aircraft at some gates (especially in Terminal A) cannot fully push back if the gate across the taxi ally is occupied.  I recall that KPHL has some similar problems in the beginning which have since been fixed.  Visual:  It is a shame they left out the raised earth berm on the north side of Runway 13/31 with the giant "Welcome to New York" sign.  It is a very distinctive feature of this airport.

Andrew

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hartleecub said:

These are the settings I'm using with an Asus PG278-QR  monitor (27")

Fullscreen
2560x1440@165Hz
Texture Resolution-High
Shadow Quality-Medium
Antialising-DLAA
Chromatic and Vignette-On...WHAT DOES THIS DO?
Sunshafts-Off
Depth of Field-Off
Reflections-Off
SSAO-On
Bloom-Off

I'd like to see what others are using for the best visual performance, along with comments  on the various options and their significance.

Hartleecub:

You might try changing your antialiasing setting to FXAA, it is the least "expensive" AA option resource-wise from the group available to us. I don't usually bother with chromatic or vignette, they give a certain look to the game- it's all a bit too subjective (not to mention expensive) to me.

Hope this helps.

P.

14 hours ago, VenturaGuy101 said:

Well here we go again with a major terminal shuffle:  http://laguardiaairport.com/news/lgaonthemove/

On the bright side maybe moving Brickyard from Terminal A to C will help with not enough gate errors I was getting during a play last night.  It also appears that NYD is missing the Alaska flights.  

Interesting changes.

We can't really implement departures from one terminal and arrivals in another using the terminal file. (Frontier & Spirit). Hopefully the planes actually only use one terminal. If not we'll just have to assign them one or both terminals.

Skywest operates for Alaska Airlines at LGA, so that's why you don't see any Alaska Airlines flights in RT.

On 11/15/2017 at 4:41 AM, hartleecub said:

I discovered the solution to improving my frame rates...NOT running it in full-screen mode. Unchecking depth of field improved things as well.

Oh, cool. I will give it a try myself. Thanks for the input!

9 hours ago, crbascott said:

Interesting changes.

We can't really implement departures from one terminal and arrivals in another using the terminal file. (Frontier & Spirit). Hopefully the planes actually only use one terminal. If not we'll just have to assign them one or both terminals.

Skywest operates for Alaska Airlines at LGA, so that's why you don't see any Alaska Airlines flights in RT.

Frontier and Spirit will run all flights out of terminal D.  According to this article, Departures are in terminal C because that is where check-in will be located:  http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/10/21/american-terminal-b-laguardia/

Thanks for the information about Skywest operating for Alaska.  I will make that change in my terminal file.  I noticed today that Piedmont (PDT) was flying flights into LGA.  It does appear that Piedmont is missing in NYD RT but that is just another carrier carrying American colors.

I hope in the next version of Tower!3Dx that FeelThere adds the capability for airlines like Republic (Brickyard) can have multiple liveries and terminal assignments.  For example distinguish between Republic flights under the American colors from the Republic flights under the Delta Shuttle colors.  It would be nice to see the Delta Shuttle going to terminal A and the American going to terminal C.  Currently it appears to be the nearest terminal with an open gate.  So when using runway 22 for landings, the Republic planes go to the  Marine Terminal since it is the closest.

Gotcha. So from a terminal file perspective we can just assign FFT and NKS to Terminal_D. Simple enough. 

Looks like PDT just started PHL-LGA this month, so that explains why it is missing from RT.

Yep, the regional airlines are a challenge. At LGA it's Republic flying for both AA and DL; at LAX Compass flies for AA and DL; Skywest flies for AA, DL, and UA at LAX; and I'm sure Mesa and Express Jet are in the mix too.  We'll definitely need to put this on the wish list for the next version.

The trees on the airport are indicating winds around 30 knots even though the depicted wind is 3. I would think that excessive animation impacts frame rates to a negative degree. When I turn off reflections in Options, the water reflections are still there. Either that option isn't working or some other reflections are impacted and I can't figure out what they might be.

I hope in the next version of Tower!3Dx that FeelThere adds the capability for airlines like Republic (Brickyard) can have multiple liveries and terminal assignments.  For example distinguish between Republic flights under the American colors from the Republic flights under the Delta Shuttle colors.

This is something we fully agree. However the schedules are made based on real world ICAO and IATA codes. Do you have any suggestion how could we separate them for future releases?

Vic