The simFlight Network Forums
Sign in to follow this  
XAL

Understanding the workings of STB with P3dv4 & UTLive

I am trying to understand logically how STB works with P3dv4 and UTLive.

On my STB, which I run on a separate computer than P3dv4, one of the headers that I have selected is FS State.
Under FS State I can see Preflight Support,  Clearance (for clearance delivery), Pushback1, Pushback 2, Taxi etc.

It appears that once the FS State changes to Preflight Support, a  a destination appears and if the STB is started at that point a flight number appears.

My question(s) are:

If STB is able to determine a destination when FS State changes to Preflight Support and sometimes add a flight number if it is re-started at that point or at "Clearance"
why is it not able to fill in all the blanks with an update from the information in P3d. Also in real life at the point of "Clearance" not only is the departure time, destination known but also the flight number.
From a logical perspective, at "Clearance" all of the information is known, and can be confirmed by listening to ATC.

It appears that the information is available from UTLive, however the update cycle with STB is not always the same.

I love STB and not being critical of it. I'm just trying to understand the process better.

Thanks

The amount of information available via SimConnect regarding individual AI aircraft is different depending on whether the object is controlled by either the P3d4 ATC or not. UTL does not use standard AI traffic BGL files as opposed to My Traffic 6 and freeware packages like WOAI and AIG which do. Somewhere on this subforum, the STB developer explained how he managed to retrieve as much information as possible from UTL regarding the aircraft that it controls.

As an example of differences between P3d4 ATC controlled AI and other objects , if an object is under the control of the P3d4 ATC it will have the following potential traffic states:

"init" "sleep" "flt plan" "startup" "preflight support" "clearance"
"push back 1" "push back 2" "pre taxi out" "taxi out" "takeoff 1" "takeoff 2"
"T&G depart" "enroute" "pattern" "landing" "rollout" "go around" "taxi in"
"shutdown" "postflight support" 

STB converts these states into a smaller number of states for each AI aircraft's status. If an object is not under the control of the P3d4 ATC (for example, the object is being slewed by SimConnect in some fashion), the object will have far less types of traffic states:

"Sleep" "Waypoint" "Takeoff" "Landing" "Taxi"

This is also one of the reasons that STB can't discover any information about VOXATC AI aircraft, since the VOXATC ATC controls all the AI aircraft directly and does not expose information needed to fill out the board. Utilities like Pete Dowson's Traffic Look, AITA 2014 and the P3d4 Traffic Toolbox Explorer will show which AI aircraft information is exposed and which is hidden.

For aircraft that are under the control of P3D ATC but are not generated by regular BGL schedule files, we have some extra code to handle the situation as best we can.  When we see the aircraft transition from sleep state to something else, we ask the simulator for the departure and arrival airports as that information should now be available.  Flight numbers are a similar situation, however the simulator does not make the flight number available until the aircraft becomes active.

So for UTLive, I believe we should see departure and arrival time information as soon as UTLive gives it a flight plan (e.g. we go from "sleep" to "flt plan".  If that's not what you are seeing, please set up a trace as described in the  STB user guide, reproduce the  problem and send me the trace file.  Please enable the "FS Object ID" column on STB and identify the value associated value of a flight that did not behave as expected.  I can cross reference that in the trace .

Thanks
Simon

Thanks for your response. There are some things that are still not clear. I can live with them.

Another question that I have, is where do the airport names that are posted on the board come from? Is there a database within STB or do they come from the flight plans. There is no consistent naming  pattern that is apparent.

15 hours ago, XAL said:

Another question that I have, is where do the airport names that are posted on the board come from? Is there a database within STB or do they come from the flight plans. There is no consistent naming  pattern that is apparent.

There is a database in STB, and we get the original information for that database by scanning the scenery library and reaching the AFD files that define them.  If you change your airports a lot and the names are not satisfactory, doing "make runways" followed by "compile airport database" will give you the best result.

I am facing a dilemma with this. I have UTL and not very happy with it because it does not work fully with STB. When a UTL flight plan is assigned then STB will show the destination but not the times. I have been slowly adding in my own packages and those work well with STB. So the problem I am having is should I keep adding my own packages which will take forever, wait for UTL and STB to work together, or wait to see what traffic global will offer.

It's mostly dependent on STB because that is what I use the most. I would prefer to keep using UTL because all the packages are already there but if it will never be able to work with STB fully, then I will have to go the other routes. Do you think sometime down the road that UTL will be able to play nice with STB? also, do you know if STB will support traffic global? I know it's not out yet but maybe you have some previous secret information.

While I'd never rule it out completely, integration with UTLive looks very unlikely at the present time. 

If you are referring to Just Flight Traffic Global, my understanding is this package uses regular BGL scheduling like everyone else, in which case I'd expect STB to support it.  We'll have to wait and see of course, but I've already reached out to Just Flight to see what it has to offer at the earliest opportunity.  I've no information about what may happen when, but it's on my radar.

Simon