The simFlight Network Forums

Multiple Autosaves in P3Dv4

I have P3Dv4 and a registered copy of FSUIPC5.  When I use auto-save I set it up for 5 auto-saves separated by one minute.

However when I use P3Dv4, I seem to get continuing auto-saves at one minute intervals, eventually reaching hundred’s, then I delete them.  It starts all over again so I have now turned off auto-save.

Any ideas what is causing this?

Nigel

Vancouver

19 hours ago, nigelgrant said:

I seem to get continuing auto-saves at one minute intervals, eventually reaching hundred’s, then I delete them.

What are the typical names of those autosave files? There are add-ons which also save their own files when the SimConnect flight save facility is called (whether by program or menu). You can add AlsoManage lines in the FSUIPC5.INI file to deal with this.

Pete

4 hours ago, nigelgrant said:

I am flying the Majestic Dash8 400 and each time there are three files saved as shown below

Nigel

AutoSave Fri 194726..FLT

AutoSave Fri 194726..mj1

AutoSave Fri 194726..mj2

Ok, the "mj..." files won't be deleted unless you tell FSUIPC about them. It can't possibly know about all the possible files saved by different add-ons!

Please look up AlsoManage in the Advanced Users guide.

Pete

Hi Pete

I need more help, if you can oblige.

I read the Advanced Users Guide and this is what I inserted into the [AutoSave] section of the FSUIPC.ini, I cannot find any Majestic auto-save files anywhere other than the P3Dv4 Scenarios folder in the path shown. This addition did not help; I continued getting autosave files every 60 seconds.

[AutoSave]

Next=5

Interval=60

Files=5

SaveOnGround=No

AutoSaveEnabled=Yes

1=Tue 220136

2=Tue 220235

3=Tue 220335

4=Tue 220434

5=Tue 220036

AlsoManage1=C:\users\owner\documents\Prepar3D v4 Files\*..FLT

AlsoManage2=C:\users\owner\documents\Prepar3D v4 Files\*..mj1

AlsoManage3=C:\users\owner\documents\Prepar3D v4 Files\*..mj2

Any corrections or suggestions?

Nigel

Vancouver

8 hours ago, nigelgrant said:

Your user name on the PC is "owner"?

I've only just noticed that you have .. before the filetype, not just a single .  Maybe this explains it. Do the files really have "..FLT", "..mj1" "..mj1"  and not just the usual ".FLT", ".mj", ".mj2"?

The files saves by P3D4 will be type .fxml. Aren't there any files of that type -- the last 5 will be? The others should be automatically deleted. I've no idea what is creating .FLT files as they are not made by P3D4 since they changed the format to XML. The only files save by P3D4 are .fxml and .wx.

See what files are generated when you save a flight manually, in the P3D Scenario menu.

There is some built-in logging for AutoSave operations in FSUIPC. Please enable this by adding these two lines to the [General] section of the FSUIPC5.INI file before  next running P3D:

Debug=Please
LogExtras=x4

Also, please try using a different aircraft and see if it works with that.

I'll do some tests here too.

Pete

45 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

I'll do some tests here too.

I've tested by artifically making ..FLT, ..mj1 and ..mj2 files and adding the same AlsoManage lines as yours (but with me "Pete" as user not "Owner" of course), and all the correct files were deleted fine.  So something else is going on there. Please double check the files do actually have ".." not just ".2. I'd also ask why a FLT file is being made.

Pete

Hi Pete

Thx for the extra work you did, I cannot explain the .FLT files except they turn up in a saved scenario for the MajesticDash8 400.

I think I have solved it – there were .fxml and .wx files for the autosaved scenarios, but I missed them since the .FLT and .wxml files both had P3D icons on them.  So I changed the FSUIPC.ini file as below, including the .fxml and .wx files in the AlsoManage entries.

[AutoSave]

Next=4

Interval=60

Files=5

SaveOnGround=No

AutoSaveEnabled=Yes

1=Thu 171426

2=Thu 171525

3=Thu 171625

4=Thu 171226

5=Thu 171326

AlsoManage4=C:\users\owner\documents\Prepar3D v4 Files\*.fxml

AlsoManage5=C:\users\owner\documents\Prepar3D v4 Files\*.wx

Autosave now seems to be working correctly and I am only getting the latest 5 scenarios.

I also enabled the logging facility for Autosave and I have attached the latest log.  Although there were some earlier autosave error messages, they are followed by all the appropriate files being deleted.

Again, thx for your help.

Nigel

Vancouver

FSUIPC5.log

15 hours ago, nigelgrant said:

Autosave now seems to be working correctly and I am only getting the latest 5 scenarios.

But those two are certainly known to FSUIPC and deleted automatically!

The log you provided shows this for the first 5 attempts, where error 2 means that the deletion failed "file not found" (there are two such error 2/2, one for the.fxml file and the other for the .wx file.

569766 *** ERROR: Autosave couldn't delete "C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files\AutoSave Thu 194338" (error 2/2)
   569782 ... Autosave finished

I say that because there's no sign of the AlsoManged files being deleted.

Then

867313 Autosave: deleting "C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files\AutoSave Thu 213613"
   867313 Autosave: deleting "C:\users\owner\documents\Prepar3D v4 Files\AutoSave Thu 213613..FLT"
   867313 Autosave: deleting "C:\users\owner\documents\Prepar3D v4 Files\AutoSave Thu 213613..mj1"
   867313 Autosave: deleting "C:\users\owner\documents\Prepar3D v4 Files\AutoSave Thu 213613..mj2"
   867328 ... Autosave finished

showing both .fxml and .wx files wew deletred without error as well as your three AlsoManaged files.

So I'm now thinking there was actually nothing wrong except that you needed the three AlsoManage lines. If not, then it is really strange. There has never yet been a case where the normal fxml and wx files have not been deleted correctly, and it is impossible to reproduce such a scenerio hare on any of my systems.

However, just so i know we are on a level field, could you please download the current interim ipdate. 5.122a, from the Download Links forum above, and test again. And also please test  with a non-addon aircraft, as requested.

2 minutes ago, nigelgrant said:

You might be interested in the current discussion at the Majestic Forum regarding the FLT file - Q400 P3D V4.1 Save Flight

I'd rather not. Care to summarise it?

Thanks.

Pete

A bit of finger pointing!! Some saying created by FSUIPC, others saying it is only on Dash8, no conclusions yet.

It is 4am here, cannot sleep (nightmares about autosaves!), but will download the latest FSUIPC and try your default aircraft request later today.

Nigel

1 hour ago, nigelgrant said:

A bit of finger pointing!! Some saying created by FSUIPC, others saying it is only on Dash8, no conclusions yet.

FSUIPC saves nothing whatsoever*! It simply calls the SimConnect facility to save a flight, providing a filename. You can do the same manually by pressing ; and entering a filename or title, or using the Scenario/flights menu options.

1 hour ago, nigelgrant said:

It is 4am here, cannot sleep (nightmares about autosaves!), but will download the latest FSUIPC and try your default aircraft request later today.

And try saving a flight manualy too, by either easy method.

*Unless you select the option to save the FSUIPC data (offsets) too, which creates an ipcbin file. That was added for Project Magenta, so that a crashed flight could be restarted with the whole of the cockpit setup being re-established.

Pete

Hi Pete

I have run three test flights, and all resulted in 5 autosaves as set in FSUIPC. Below I have shown one set of autosave files from the last 5 minutes of each flight.  The parameters for each flight were as below:

Test 1 - P3Dv4.1 Beech Baron 58 Paint1

[AutoSave]

Next=4

Interval=60

Files=5

SaveOnGround=No

AutoSaveEnabled=Yes

1=Thu 171426

2=Thu 171525

3=Thu 171625

4=Thu 171226

5=Thu 171326

AutoSave Sat 141930.wx

AutoSave Sat 141930.fxml

Test 2 - Majestic Dash8 400 -MJC8Q400_QLK

[AutoSave] Same as Test 1

Next=4

Interval=60

Files=5

SaveOnGround=No

AutoSaveEnabled=Yes

1=Thu 171426

2=Thu 171525

3=Thu 171625

4=Thu 171226

5=Thu 171326

AutoSave Sat 153033..FLT

AutoSave Sat 153033..mj2

AutoSave Sat 153033..mj1

AutoSave Sat 153033.wx

AutoSave Sat 153033.fxml

Test 3 - Majestic Dash8 400 -MJC8Q400_QLK

[AutoSave] Commands AlsoManage for .fxml and .wx remarked-out

Next=4

Interval=60

Files=5

SaveOnGround=No

AutoSaveEnabled=Yes

1=Thu 171426

2=Thu 171525

3=Thu 171625

4=Thu 171226

5=Thu 171326

;AlsoManage4=C:\users\owner\documents\Prepar3D v4 Files\*.fxml

;AlsoManage5=C:\users\owner\documents\Prepar3D v4 Files\*.wx

AutoSave Sat 163418..FLT

AutoSave Sat 163418..mj1

AutoSave Sat 163418..mj2

AutoSave Sat 163418.wx

AutoSave Sat 163418.fxml

Regular saving of scenarios (either ; or menu action) produce 2 files  *.fxml and .*wx with default aircraft, and 5 files *..FLT, *..mj1, *..mj2, *.fxml, *.wx with Majestic Dash 8.  This is borne out in the current discussion over on the Majestic forum where no one appears to take responsibility for the production of the FLT files!

I have no explanation for my multiple saves in Wednesday’s message above, when I originally did not have the AlsoManage 4 and5 commands in place.

However I am happy now, it seems that everything is working okay

Thank you for all your help,

Nigel

AutoSave Sat 141930.fxml

AutoSave Sat 141930.wx

12 hours ago, nigelgrant said:

Regular saving of scenarios (either ; or menu action) produce 2 files  *.fxml and .*wx with default aircraft, and 5 files *..FLT, *..mj1, *..mj2, *.fxml, *.wx with Majestic Dash 8.

Exactly.

12 hours ago, nigelgrant said:

This is borne out in the current discussion over on the Majestic forum where no one appears to take responsibility for the production of the FLT files!

Well obvously is it the Majestic code!

The ".FLT" files aren't real FLT files which can be reloaded (FLT is the normal type of non-XML flight files like those used in FSX and earlier versions of P3D). Seems they are just some sort of kneeboard link:

[Kneeboard]
radiomsg0=C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files\AutoSave Sat 163418.
radiomsgkind0=0

Pete