The simFlight Network Forums

Strange Multi-line Display Issue

Hi Pete,

A strange problem has popped up when using Lua scripts to display multiple lines.  This is happening with different scripts that previously had no display problems, and happens with both green bar and ipc.setowndisplay type display windows.  Instead of the data just appearing 'smoothly', there is jitter as the multiple lines are displayed (single lines display fine). I am only talking about 10 or so short lines of information. I get the sense there is a tiny delay between the display of each line, but once all the lines are displayed,  the window display is stable. With the green bar multi-line display, I can faintly see individual single green lines as the window grows in size vertically as the lines are displayed. I don't know how the multi-line display functions work but wonder if something could be causing the scripts to pause for a tiny fraction of a second between the display of each line, or perhaps something has slowed the overall execution speed of the scripts enough to produce this effect? 

I apologize for this description of the problem -- just don't know a better way to put it.

I did 'suffer' a recent Win10 update, but don't see any other display issues with the computer, and can't be sure if this only started after the update. The Nvidia GPU driver is up to date.

Thanks for any ideas on what I might check or look for.

Al

FSUIPC 4.972

Boxed FSX, Win10/64

3 hours ago, ark1320 said:

I don't know how the multi-line display functions work but wonder if something could be causing the scripts to pause for a tiny fraction of a second between the display of each line, or perhaps something has slowed the overall execution speed of the scripts enough to produce this effect? 

A "multiline" display is produced by you sending a string containing "new line" or "return" codes. It is sent to SimConnect like that.  No processing in FSUIPC, it is all part of Simconnect's display function.

You mention "slow down the scripts" as if you are sending one line at a time, adding to the string each time. If that if what you are doing you could get a flicker too, as each would result in a separate request to SimConnect.

Without seeing the script I can't really offer any other thoughts on this.

Pete

Pete,

In each case all the multi-line data is sent for display with one command that contains the new line characters. For example, in one script we have:

if on_ground_flag == 1 then       
    v_rotate = v_rotate_calc()                                                                                                       -- call function
    ipc.display(" Vr = "..v_rotate.."\n Reversers Armed\n Annunciator Lights\n AP Set\n Altitude Set\n Spoilers Off\n Flaps Set\n Trim Set\n Yaw Damper Off\n Lights On\n Heading Bug Set\n Course Set\n Altimeter Set\n NAV/GPS Set\n Pitot Heat On")                                           -- Display check list for TO_list_time sec
   repeat
     ias = ipc.readUD(0x02BC)/128                                                                                                -- IAS in Knots
     ias = math.floor (ias + 0.5)                                                                                                        -- round to no decimal places (nearest integer)
    until ias >= v_rotate - rotate_callout_gs_delta                                                                          -- rotate callout is initiated rotate_callout_gs_delta knots before the v_rotate speed is reached  
    ref=sound.play("Rotate",0)                                                                                                          -- Rotate callout
    ipc.display("")                                                                                                                                -- close takeoff checklist window
  end

Another script displays a menu using ipc.ask:

aircraft_sel=ipc.ask(tab.."Select (followed by Enter): \n  1  FSX Default or Std Add-on A/C\n  2  A2A Cherokee 180\n  3  FLIGHT1 KA B200\n  4  PMDG B737 NGX\n  5  PMDG B777\n  *  NpC Off",1)

So I need to figure out what has changed because neither of these scripts previously exhibited the behavior I described above, but do now.  The scripts themselves have not been changed.  I'm beginning to think the problem is related to the Win10 update -- perhaps how it works with SimConnect. Should I try reinstalling SimConnect?

Thanks,

Al

4 hours ago, ark1320 said:

The scripts themselves have not been changed.  I'm beginning to think the problem is related to the Win10 update -- perhaps how it works with SimConnect. Should I try reinstalling SimConnect?

I doubt that would help. Win10 seems to be causing all sorts of weird and unfortunate anomalies.

I don't know what to suggest. FSUIPC can onlyy send your string on to SimConnect for its action.

Pete

19 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

I doubt that would help. Win10 seems to be causing all sorts of weird and unfortunate anomalies.

I don't know what to suggest. FSUIPC can onlyy send your string on to SimConnect for its action.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Perhaps a bit of encouraging news is I've discovered that FSX-SE, which is on the same computer as FSX, does not have the display problem described above. So there is some hope regarding the impact of the latest WIN10 update. I now need to see if I can figure out what might be different between FSX and FSX-SE as far as how the Lua displays are being handled by the system.

Al