The simFlight Network Forums

WideFS Connection problem

I'm sure I'm not the first one to ask this question, but when I searched the forum for WideFS connection issues, I didn't see anything. 

1.  I bought/downloaded/installed WideFS from SimMarket to extend my Arduino/Mobiflight I'm wanting to use on a separate PC

2.  I installed/registerd both FSUIPC5 and WideFS on my P3Dv4 PC

3. I installed WideFS Client on the separate PC

4. I opened WideFS Client.ini and added the servername=<P3D PC name> and protocol=TCP to it.

5. When I initiate WideClient, a widow opens saying "WideClient FS98 Eliminator - Waiting for a conection"

6  I then open my Mobiflight .mcc file which recognizes the module but does not indicate any connection to FSUIPC

I appear to be missing something.

Help please.

Thanks.

I've move your support question to the SUPPORT FORUM, so it can be answered. You posted it n the "USER CONTRIBUTIONS" subofrum which is a reference library of contributions by users!

9 hours ago, ncngrr said:

4. I opened WideFS Client.ini and added the servername=<P3D PC name> and protocol=TCP to it.

5. When I initiate WideClient, a widow opens saying "WideClient FS98 Eliminator - Waiting for a conection"

Both WideClient and the WideServer part of FSUIPC produce Log files to show what is going on. Please show me those and the WideClient.INI file so I can check them for you. You can use the <> button above the edit area here to paste in the test copied from those files.

Pete

Thank you, Pete, for your assistance!  

WideServer file on the P3Dv4 PC (running Win 10/64-bit)

********* WideServer.DLL Log [version 7.074] *********
Blocksize guide = 8192 (double allowed)
Date (dmy): 17/01/18, Time 15:52:38.401: Server name is DESKTOPFLIGHT1
    15437 Initialising TCP/IP server
    15437 Initialising UDP/IP server
    16016 Broadcasting service every 1000 mSecs

------------------------------

WideClient.INI file on 2nd PC NOT running P3Dv4 (running Win 7/64-bit)

; PLEASE SEE WideFS documentation for parameter details
; =====================================================

[Config]
ServerName=DESKTOPFLIGHT1
Protocol=TCP
Port=8002
Window=43,44,886,589
Visible=Yes

; -----------------------------------------------
[User]
Log=Errors+

; ===============================================

-------------------------------------

WideClient log file on 2nd PC NOT running P3Dv4 (running Win 7/64-bit)

********* WideClient Log [version 6.999z4] Class=FS98MAIN *********
Date (dmy): 17/01/18, Time 17:21:23.491: Client name is SCOTT-PC
      469 Attempting to connect now
      469 Trying to locate server: Need details from Server Broadcast
      469 Failed to connect: waiting to try again
      531 LUA: "C:\WideFS Client\Initial.LUA": not found
     1469 Attempting to connect now
    22485 Trying to locate server: Need details from Server Broadcast

Apart from the strange 89 minute discrpancy between the startup of WideClient compared to the Server:

********* WideServer.DLL Log [version 7.074] *********
Blocksize guide = 8192 (double allowed)
Date (dmy): 17/01/18, Time 15:52:38.401:

********* WideClient Log [version 6.999z4] Class=FS98MAIN *********
Date (dmy): 17/01/18, Time 17:21:23.491:

the real thing of note is this:

9 hours ago, ncngrr said:

469 Trying to locate server: Need details from Server Broadcast

which implies that the ServerName and Protocol lines in your INI file aren't being seen. Are you absolutely sure that the INI file you are showing me is from the same folder as the LOG file? because that "Need details ..." message only occurs when there's no such parameters.

It also looks like your two systems are in different Workgroups.  If they were in the same group then those parameters could be omitted, because then the broadcast's sent by the server (every 1000 mSecs, as logged) would tell the Client where to connect and how.

So, try changing one or the other to be the same.  You do this as follows:

Win7: Control Panel ->System ->
"Computer name, domain and workgroup settings"->
click "Change settings" on the right.

Win10With the right mouse button click the Start icon and choose System
Then same as above.

Pete

Thanks.

I verified the WideFS.INI file is in the same folder as the WideFS.EXE file.

I changed the workgroup name of the 2nd PC to match that of the P3Dv4 PC.  Now when I initiate WideFS, it changed from "waiting for a connection" to "Connected".  

Now I seem to be unable to open the MobiFlight Connector application.

Thanks.

15 minutes ago, ncngrr said:

I changed the workgroup name of the 2nd PC to match that of the P3Dv4 PC.  Now when I initiate WideFS, it changed from "waiting for a connection" to "Connected".  

Good. So WideFS is now working for you.

15 minutes ago, ncngrr said:

Now I seem to be unable to open the MobiFlight Connector application.

Sorry, I've no idea what that is. Is it an FSUIPC application you are trying to use on the client PC?

Pete

Mobiflight Connector is an app + firmware that is applied over an Arduino Mega 2560 that communicates with FSUIPC and enables flight sim cockpit builders to connect hardware (buttons, LEDs, switches, etc.) to P3D, FSX, etc.

With WideClient now "connected", then shall I conclude that everything WideFS is supposed to do is working correctly?

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, ncngrr said:

With WideClient now "connected", then shall I conclude that everything WideFS is supposed to do is working correctly?

Well, it is only a connection between FSUIPC and the client PC, so "connected" means .. it is connected. 

If your FSUIPC application is not working, is it saying it cannot find the sim, or FSUIPC or what?  Note that some applications, though thry use FSUIPC, also need to access the Sim's own folders which of course, are on the WideFs server PC.

I'm afraid you might need to get help for application programs from the application's own support. If either of the Logs indicate an error let me see, but otherwise you should be okay.

Pete

I just deleted/downloaded/installed Mobiflight Connector again.  Now my Arduino+Mobiflight recognizes the FSUIPC via WideClient.  I added a switch and an LED to my Arduino/Mobiflight Connector breadboard, assigned the parking brake to the switch and the LED as a parking brake indicator (using the FSUIPC offsets).  Now that WideFS is talking across the network to my laptop/Arduino, when I flip the switch, I see that the parking brake becomes set in P3D and the indicator LED illuminates.  When I turn the switch off, the parking brake is released and the LED goes out.  It's a simple first step, but an important one to building my flight sim cockpit!  Thank you very much, Pete!