The simFlight Network Forums

Home cockpit axis assignment for potentiometer

Greetings fellow members,

For new year resolution, I have decided to make a cockpit control panel switch for myself.  I have been using the Linda module and fsupic registered for fsx se.

I just ran into a problem . I fly the aerosoft extended . I use the Linda module for button assignment for the aerosoft airbus.

For my home cockpit , I am planning to use potentiometer for setting the ALTITUDE , SPEED , HEADING VALUES . But the problem is the Linda module for the airbus extended contains the respective commands for button assignment only . But, as a potentiometer will be an axis assignment , I want to assign the setting for potentiometer. In fsupic axis assignment page , although there are various option available for changing the ALTITUDE and other values, but  they don't work in airbus extended. Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of programming to create my own files. Can you please provide a solution to the problem which will enable me to assign the altitude speed heading of the airbus extended to the potentiometer using axis assignment page , or if you have more better option please do advise.

Your assistance is highly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Good day,

20 hours ago, ram123 said:

I am planning to use potentiometer for setting the ALTITUDE , SPEED , HEADING VALUES . But the problem is the Linda module for the airbus extended contains the respective commands for button assignment only . But, as a potentiometer will be an axis assignment , I want to assign the setting for potentiometer.

If you must use potentiometers it is best as assign movement of the potentiometer one way as the Increment and the other way as the Decrement, otherwise, even with proper scaling and a suitable analogue axis assignment:

1. It would be almost impossible to select a position for a precise value, and
2. Not all values are valid in any case, and you'd need to be able to deal with that, and
3. The upper and lower limits will vary from aircraft to aircraft, which isn't easy to deal with either.

Far better for those adjusters to use rotary encoders, those with two button-type outputs which pulse depending on which way you turn the knob. As you are building your own device yuou'll find that gies you much more satisfying results, akin to the real controls on an actual MCP.

Pete

Greetings Pete,

Thanks you for advise.

I shall use rotary encoders instead of potentiometer. But there was another problem in it . How to assign controls of the airbus extended to the encoders using axis assignment as the Linda module for the airbus extended contains the respective commands for button assignment only . But, as a encoders will be an axis assignment , I want to assign the setting for encoders. In fsupic axis assignment page , although there are various option available for changing the ALTITUDE and other values, but  they don't work in airbus extended. Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of programming to create my own files. Can you please provide a solution to the problem which will enable me to assign the altitude speed heading of the airbus extended to the encoders using axis assignment page , or if you have more better option please do advise.

Many thanks ,

Edit

20 hours ago, ram123 said:

I shall use rotary encoders instead of potentiometer. But there was another problem in it . How to assign controls of the airbus extended to the encoders using axis assignment as the Linda module for the airbus extended contains the respective commands for button assignment only . But, as a encoders will be an axis assignment , I want to assign the setting for encoders. In fsupic axis assignment page

No, you misunderstand. Rotary encoders are NOT analogue inputs. They effectively give two buttons one in each direction! That's the whole point of using rotary encoders, as I thought I explained in my previous reply.

Pete