The simFlight Network Forums

Lost Joystick Connection

Hi. I am having a problem with my edtracker in fsx. I already have two joysticks that work ok . X55 throttle and stick. The throttle has button assignments in fsuipc. When I plug in the edtracker which windows sees as a joystick the x55 throttle is lost in fsx and the buttons no longer work. I think it changes the joystick number. Any help and advice would be welcome. 

Thanks.

Mike

36 minutes ago, Mike Franklin said:

I already have two joysticks that work ok . X55 throttle and stick. The throttle has button assignments in fsuipc. When I plug in the edtracker which windows sees as a joystick the x55 throttle is lost in fsx and the buttons no longer work. I think it changes the joystick number. Any help and advice would be welcome. 

Assuming you are talking about FSUIPC, which I support, then I need to see these files from your FSX Modules folder:

FSUIPC4.INI
FSUIPC4.LOG
FSUIPC4.Joyscan.CSV

You can either attach them as files, or paste their contents in a message using the <> button above the edit area here.

Pete

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a registered copy. I had another look tonight and removed and re-added the joysticks in windows and renewed fsx.cfg just in case. It seems to work ok now. The x55 throttle is 0, X55 stick is 1 and edtracker is 2 (when it is plugged in). So far so good. Do the numbers assigned correspond to the order they were plugged into the usb sockets in windows as that is the order i used? I did read the manual that came with fsuipc but am still unsure about what decides the order of joystick numbering and why the program lost track of which was which and the respective key bindings.

Thanks again for responding so promptly. I might bother you again if the problem recurs if that's ok?

Mike

FSUIPC4.JoyScan.csv

FSUIPC4.ini

FSUIPC4.log

Hi Stefan,

I did test that switch option in the .ini file but the letters changed order too instead of numbers. I don't see what it achieves unless you can actually force the joysticks to keep the assignment order fsuipc thinks they should be in for key bindings it has assigned to them. I'm probably missing something obvious, I must read the documentation again.

Mike

9 hours ago, Mike Franklin said:

I did test that switch option in the .ini file but the letters changed order too instead of numbers

The letters are what you assign too, so it doesn't matter if they change Joystick numerical IDs. The only thing that matters then is the unique device "GUID" which is attached to the joy letter. The GUID will only change if you reinstall Windows or move to another PC.

9 hours ago, Mike Franklin said:

I don't see what it achieves

Oh dear. You miss the point completely.

Using the letter assignments deals with changes in the joystick numbers assigned by Windows which can change if you unplug devices, or if Windows sees them in a different order, or if a Windows update occurs.

Once all of the assignments are associated with a letter rather than the Windows-assigned number, it no longer matters if Windows changes the numbers!

Pete