The simFlight Network Forums

How To Assign Static IP Addresses

For quite sometime, I have lived with the frequent but minor pauses in my PM ABGC. I recently read, somewhere, maybe here, that the pauses maybe caused by not having assigned IP addresses.

The pause is only visible on the PFD and ND. FS2004 continues smoothly but the PFD and ND will pause for 2 - 3 seconds on a regular cycle.

I have four systems:

1- FS2004, pmSounds

2- PM ABGC, FCU

3- PM ABGC loaded twice for upper and lower ECAM, FSMeteo

4- PM MCDU

All systems are hardwired to a LinkSys BEFW11S4 Wireless Access Point Router with 4-Port Switch; they all have direct internet access.

The questions:

What is the step by step procedure to assign IP addresses?

Are there any drawbacks to assigning IP address, both in general and to my specific setup.

Thanks,

Richard

What is the step by step procedure to assign IP addresses?

It depends on your Operating System I think. Assuming you are using WinXP, go to Start-Settings-Control Panel-Network Connections, select your Network, then Properties. In the General tab, select the Internet Protocol, then press Properties.

Where it says "Use the following IP address" click the radio button then enter your chosen IP address -- for instance 192.168.0.N where N is your choice of number in the range 1-254 (different for each PC). The Subnet mask beneath that needs to be 255.255.255.0.

That's it. Okay your way out.

I think it is similar on other operating systems.

Are there any drawbacks to assigning IP address, both in general and to my specific setup.

Not that I know of, though I have heard of difficulties with ICS (Internet Connection Sharing).

You might be better off asking folks in the Project Magenta newsgroup as there is a wealth of Network experience there. Also the PM network expert Katy Pluta hangs out in the FS2004 Forum here.

Regards,

Pete