The simFlight Network Forums

Feature Request - Trim Linear Mapping

Any chance of mapping an unassigned linear axis as a vernier into an assigned axis? The sensitivity of the steps on regular trim clicks is often too coarse or takes too many clicks for a major change.

On my CH stick, the inline trim pots are way too sensitive and also provide a non-stable center position.

I'm thinking mostly of elevator trim here to stabilize altitude and airspeed without having autopilot active. I generally get the throttle set and keep my eye on the VSI and/or Glide Slope indicator for final trim, but clicks on panel control or the in-line stick pots just don't cut it.

Some time in the future perhaps.

Any chance of mapping an unassigned linear axis as a vernier into an assigned axis? The sensitivity of the steps on regular trim clicks is often too coarse or takes too many clicks for a major change.

But having a variable effect for the same control is going to be very misleading during flight. What you want really is less sensitivity (more movement needed) around centres and higher sensitivity towards the extremes so you can still get to the maximum deflections. A sort of "S" curve". I provide these in the PFC driver for the main flight controls, and was planning to include something similar when I eventually get around to producing the analogue axis assignment program I have had planned for ages.

On my CH stick, the inline trim pots are way too sensitive and also provide a non-stable center position.

Yes, you should never use those for trimming as such, they are not intended for that and certainly will produce asymmetric results.

I'm thinking mostly of elevator trim here to stabilize altitude and airspeed without having autopilot active. I generally get the throttle set and keep my eye on the VSI and/or Glide Slope indicator for final trim, but clicks on panel control or the in-line stick pots just don't cut it.

Surely FS's own trim is okay -- not the elevator axis, the trim axis? You should be able to calibrate that to get what you want, as you don't need to reach extremes with the trim (though FS allows the trim the same latitude as the elevator itself). If you have it as an axis, make its FS sensitivity low in comparison to the elevator axis itself.

Also, of course, the keyboard trim method is dual-action -- one press is a very small trim change, two quick presses gives you much greater effect. I use a yoke rocker switch as a sort of electric trim, and this is only using these standard controls to good effect.

Some time in the future perhaps.

Well, when I do get time I shall be looking at moving all the analogue stuff into a separate package (DLL or EXE, not sure yet) and extending it greatly, with user-designed response curves and many other things. As I mentioned, something of the sort has been on my list for a while but I've never had the time.

Regards,

Pete