The simFlight Network Forums
johnlanc

EGLC London City - Aircraft Stuck on Runway

Perhaps in a future service pack, an option could be added during installation to either keep the AFCAD files separate as they are now or actually replace the default AFCADs as most 3rd-party airport add-ons seem to do. A backup is made of the original and then the custom AFCAD is added. An option to restore the original defaults would also be necessary.

I know this will probably make future updates a bit more difficult, but it may solve the problem of which AFCAD is actually getting loaded at runtime.

Everything is working fine for me, but it's obviously causing a lot of problems for other folks and these "workarounds" tend to propagate themselves, leading to even more problems.

Best regards, Ron

Hi, you may have noted that newer addons all come with copies of my method (GAP4, Spain 3,etc.) and extra traffic files (Reggio). The problem of the patching method with backup is that it requires the user, if he ever uninstalls some software, to uninstall exactly in the reverse order of the installation - otherwise you have to reinstall FS2002. Now imagine this to be combinded with third party layouts...

The solution that I will try is the following:

I will include a new scenery directory MyUserAFD at high layer. A small program in the start menu will alllow you to ensure the files in there to be identical the MyTrafficAFD at low layer.

There is no excuse for any traffic related scenery or software that cannot be completely switched off with the scenery library.

Hi, you may have noted that newer addons all come with copies of my method (GAP4, Spain 3,etc.) and extra traffic files (Reggio).

I'm glad to see that 3rd-party developers are starting to use this method. I must admit that my suggestion of updating the default AFCAD files was rather draconian, but I couldn't think of another way to ensure the proper AFCAD files are used.

The solution that I will try is the following:

I will include a new scenery directory MyUserAFD at high layer. A small program in the start menu will alllow you to ensure the files in there to be identical the MyTrafficAFD at low layer.

Would this mean that anytime I modified the Myxxx1.bgl files that I would have to do it twice?

My concern is that here we have yet another "workaround", when we really need to find out WHY FS2002 handles the AFCAD files the way it does.

Example: If I go to, say, KBOS, the airport list shows only "Logan Intl" as a choice. The airport name does NOT have "MyTraffic" after it, even though it does in the AFCAD file. If I then export KBOS from AFCAD and recompile it with SCASM (replacing the original MYKBOS1.bgl), I now get two instances of KBOS in the airport list, one with "MyTraffic" after the name and one without. This happens EVERY TIME any airport is recompiled with SCASM. (Of course, I delete scenery.dat after each step here).

Questions:

1) why didn't I get a list of duplicates when I first installed the MyTraffic AFCADs?

2) which AFCAD is FS2002 using?

3) why doesn't "MyTraffic" appear in the airport name after I've clicked on OK after choosing an airport that MyTraffic has an AFCAD for?

You would think that FS would use the default AFCAD if I choose "Logan Intl" and the MyTraffic version if I choose "Logan Intl MyTraffic". This is not the case! It uses the MyTraffic version no matter which one I choose!

It is obvious that FS2002 is not operating the way we think it does. And we need to find out why. We also need to find out the relationship between default AFCADs and 3rd party AFCADS with the same airport name. In addition, we need to find out the relationship between the scenery.dat files and INDEX_FILE in the FS2002 root directory?

I don't know if these questions can even BE answered, but piling one workaround on top of another is not the way to go (in my opinion).

There is no excuse for any traffic related scenery or software that cannot be completely switched off with the scenery library.

True, but it seems that FS2002 can do any damn thing it wants! :wink:

Best regards, Ron

Doesn't this just take us back to the "PRIORITIES" issue.

i.e. no matter what AFD file you "think" you are selecting, the "prority" scenario dictates that the one with highest number ( and I mean highest number, not highest priority) will be used regardless.

Is this not the case/without exception :?:

The only way to prevent this would be to dissable "My Traffic AFD" in the Scenery Library or whatever.

I must agree with Ron, we don't need more complications, if they can possibly be avoided.

Martin

Agreed, we have to make things as simple as possible.

We understand I think the priority scheme used. The effect that some airports appear double in the selection and others not, is common to all addons that have any afd layouts, but does not matter for our case. Well, its more visible with MyTraffic that has 1000 layouts than with others that have 8, but I have half of the GA series showing up different, half not.

We know AI traffic uses the lowest layer number it finds, User ATC uses the highest. We know most bizarr problems ( case they ever show up) go away if the same layout or identical layouts are used by FS2002 for user and for AI, and - not knowing which process inside FS2002 uses which - can imagine this to make sense.

So my idea is to have the layouts managed as they are in MyTrafficAFD. With a single shot from the start menu you can - has to be written and tested :( - guarantee MyUserAFD and MyTrafficAFD to be ide...

Come on, is it possible to have the same directory used twice by different layers???? that would be an extremely sexy solution!!!! Have to test tonight...

Hm, what does it mean? for each airport you must be able to choose if it is active or passive for AIplayr.dll, and for ATC....dll, both are completely independent threads.

By the way, it was a nice game tonight to make all the callsigns for the Learjets, interesting digging. Dario, do you know the one of PB air?

For tonight, you gave me something really hard: Find parking places in ELLX for a bunch of 744, where MS made it so tight that it is already hard to place two Fokker 50! Such is life 8)